Does Zumba really burn 600 calories per hour?

Options
I find it hard to believe we really burn 600 calories in an hour of Zumba. I do Zumba twice a week. If I had to guess, I would say it's more like 300. Anyone else feel that way?

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Depends on the weight of the person I guess. Best way to tell is wear a Polar Heart Rate Monitor watch. It will tell you exactly how many cals burned and time your work out lasted. Ave heart rate, max heart rate, fitness burn minutes and fat burn minutes.
    I love my Polar FT7! It is waterproof and I use it in the pool also for water workout classes. At my gym they said the Water in Motion class would burn 500 cals in one hour. When I wore my Polar FT7 HRM it was more like 300 cals for me!
    Pam
  • HeatherRM14
    HeatherRM14 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and the effort you put into it. At my weight, I can easily burn 600+ calories in an hour of Zumba. I wear my Heart Rate Monitor to verify it. Someone who weighs half as much as me, would have to put in a whole lot of effort into it to hit 600 calories but I'm sure it could be done. I think it also depends on the instructor. Some instructors are very high energy and some are not.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight, the teacher, and how hard you dance! On Tuesdays I have a wild teacher, and I am extremely enthusiastic, and my HRM has me burning between 550-650 per class. My heart rate is close to max the whole time and by the end of class I feel like I'm going to drop over dead. It's awesome! Another teacher is slower and less fun, and I burn 350-450 in that class. I weigh 145.

If you don't want to get a heart rate monitor, you could guess based on exertion. Are you breathing as heavy as when you sprint? you might be burning 600. Breathing like a brisk walk? Probably more like 300. If it feels like 300, it probably is. If you burn more, it will be a bonus!
  • kass22185
    kass22185 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is my third week of zumba and I've just started wearing my HRM. I weigh 133 and am 5'0" and i burned 366 cals in 45 minutes last night, and 432 cals in the 52 minutes of the class before.. So i think it is definitely possible. I think it depends on how hard you push and the routine too. Our instructor has a few different songs that we do randomly and some are less or more intense than others.
  • karen1105mfp
    karen1105mfp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It depends on you and your instructor. I sometimes wear a heart rate monitor when I want to know exactly how much I am burning. If I am in a class with a high energy instructor, and I keep up with the high energy pace, I will burn between 500-600 calories. Last year I did a Zumba-thon (hour and a half) and I burned 1000 calories! (that was awesome to see on the HRM) :happy:
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is highly individual. I've actually seen 1000 calorie claims by some Zumba places. 600 calories per hour is possible, but you'd have to be going extremely hard for the whole hour. I don't see the average person in Zumba being able to push themselves anywhere close to that number. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.
  • mandi9041
    mandi9041 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary widely for each participant. I have taught Zumba for 2.5 years now, and I typically average 650-750 calories for a 60 minute class according to my Polar HRM. (5'6" and 180 lbs) I have also taught Zumba Gold classes for active older adults, and I still burned 500-550 calories for a class. It's all going to depend on each person's participation. They have to get those arms up, get the hips moving, squat lower, jump higher.... I see people in my class working crazy hard, red-faced and dripping sweat, and they have burned up to 1000 calories according to their HRM. I have other people in my class that are barely moving, not sweating, and then complain that it isn't a good calorie burn.

I also teach Aqua Zumba, and that is a lower calorie burn, but that is because it is more resistance training than regular Zumba.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    varies on the person and their level of fitness, weight and enthusiasm.

most of the time I'd peg it between 300-600.
  • gapeach1279
    gapeach1279 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I recently started doing Zumba, and I wondered the same thing myself. I believe it can burn upwards of 600, depending on how much you're pushing it. Some of those dances are brutal! :)
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes it can. I've worn a heart rate monitor during Zumba classes, and even while doing Zumba at home on the Wii, and I always burn over 500 calories for an hour. Depends on the day, and the intensity, etc. But yes it's possible.
  • maj1958
    maj1958 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have done Zumba for years and consistently could burn upwards of 600 calories in a high energy class based on my HRM. Secret is to keep full range of motion with both arms and legs and keep moving all the time. Amounts may vary based on your size but either way, it is a fun workout.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I track my Zumba sessions and I generally burn anywhere from 620-400 calories per hour long session. Every session is different and every instructor is different, so it does tend to have a range.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It depends on the intensity and your weight makes a difference too. I've burned 600 in an hour several times (although not by Zumba, but any high intensity cardio should do the same thing). I would recommend a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT7 so I can see what I burned.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM monitor and at my weight I normally lose 650+. I don't jump much but do actively participate.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    With my HRM I usually am between 500-600 an hour.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Depends on your stats. If you're like me (300+ pounds), I'm pretty sure it does.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I weigh 162 lbs and I do Zumba 4x a week. I usually clock anywhere from 325 to 475 calories.

Some teachers are more intense then others and I also think it depends on the exertion you're putting in, as well as how long you've been doing it.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said and I wear body media fit and most of the days I do. There was one that I didn't but I just kind of showed up and didn't work hard because I was tired and I didnt burn as many
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, depends on your weight and effort.
    I am currently doing Zumba Core a personalized class for approximately 30min, and I burn easily 280-320 calories. Just recently I added hand/wrist weights and I'm up burning about 360calories doing the same class.

Zumba is fun but not just about bouncing around, I feel like if you pay attention to many of the moves are squats, lunges, jumps, and other exercises, so if you think about that and putting good effort you burn more calories.
  • drequilla
    drequilla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more time to do Zumba!!! I love it! Add me if want! ????