Planned Binge...

Options
Hi! I know I will probably get some negative comments, but I ask that you be kind and not rude or mean!
I have been fighting binge eating disorder for some time now and I am actively seeking help and seeing a therapist. I am working on overcoming it, but sometimes I relapse. I was just wondering what your thoughts are about this...

I find some comfort in eating a large amount of food in a small amount of time, it makes me feel like I am binging, however, I am still staying within my calorie limit. In other words, I kind of think of it like intermittent fasting. Today, I have already had about 900 calories and I am able to have 900 more. I would rather eat them all at ONE time rather than eat it spread out? Is this a problem as far as trying to overcome binging?

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So, the thing is this. 900 calories isn't a binge. It's a meal. There's nothing wrong with eating food. If you want to eat two meals a day, then that's fine. You could eat one 1800 calorie meal per day, and it still wouldn't be a binge. It would be dinner.

That being said, I personally fight my tendency to binge by trying to never be hungry. I tend to binge on unhealthy things when I wait too long to eat.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There's no problem with that at all. Some days when I am extremely busy in the mornings and afternoons I have to get most all my food around the same time. As long as you hit your calorie goals you should be fine.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sounds fine, there are lots of people who like to eat light most of the day and eat a big dinner, its kinda the same theory. I think binging implies a lack of control, you are just planning your meals according to how you are happiest, nothing wrong there.
  • Finding_me3
    Options
    So, the thing is this. 900 calories isn't a binge. It's a meal. There's nothing wrong with eating food. If you want to eat two meals a day, then that's fine. You could eat one 1800 calorie meal per day, and it still wouldn't be a binge. It would be dinner.

Thanks for the help, I guess I feel like sometimes because I could eat that many calories within an hour or thirty minutes that it is like a binge? Does this make sense?
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, do it
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter in terms of weight loss when/ how often you have your calories, just matters that you are in a calorie deficit. I often will have up 80/90% of my calories within 1 meal due to my scheulde. So if this system helps you overcome your binge disorder go for it.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I think of binging I picture someone with a bag of chips - glued to the tv- stuffing chip after chip in their mouths... or with a tub of icecream until they are all of a sudden at the bottom of the container and realize they have just inhaled 6 cups!

What are you binging on? instead of focusing on the speed in which you eat - perhaps you should focus on WHAT you are eating - You wont reach your goals if your always eating junk... Try to create realistic goals which involve Lots of veggies with your meals :)
    Binging on brussel sprouts, asparagus, carrots, beans, peppers etc will be great for your body - and you wont feel badly either! Just watch Carbs and Refined Sugar, you'll be fine
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I think this is fine. I wouldn't call it a binge either.

Your situation sounds similar to mine: I like to consume mass quantities in the evening when things are quiet. So I arrange my budget, exercise, and eating patterns to have plenty of leftover calories at the end of the day. I routinely eat 800-1000 calories after 10 PM, including beer and ice cream (though not together!)
  • winley87
    winley87 Posts: 32
    Options
    I also struggle with binge eating disorder. The reason we have this disorder is because we don't know what to do - other than eat - to deal with our emotions. So, while I think your plan is fine from a nutritional perspective, it is not good for your digestive process to take in that much food at once, nor is it going to help you recover from your psychological condition.

I know it's hard, but the best thing to do is to talk to your therapist about other ways of comforting yourself and processing your emotions.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with binge eating disorder. The reason we have this disorder is because we don't know what to do - other than eat - to deal with our emotions. So, while I think your plan is fine from a nutritional perspective, it is not good for your digestive process to take in that much food at once, nor is it going to help you recover from your psychological condition.

I know it's hard, but the best thing to do is to talk to your therapist about other ways of comforting yourself and processing your emotions.
    I was thinking this too. I'd be concerned about how it would impact the recovery process. What does your therapist say about it? Would it be keeping you connected to the disease in a negative way? (I honestly don't know the answers, so I'm just trying to pose some questions).

The other thing that struck me as odd is the phrase "planned binge," because binges by definition are out of control. This might seem arbitrary, but if your therapist thinks it's okay to have a few larger meals, (ONLY if it's okay with your therapist), I would try to find something to call them instead of binges. It seems like making a distinction between your old disordered eating patterns and your newer ones, including changing the terminology, would help reinforce the change in behavior.
  • winley87
    winley87 Posts: 32
    Options
    Also, a "binge" is not classified by how much food you eat but how you feel about eating it. As you can see here, only ONE of the bullet points relates to the volume of food consumed, and the rest are about how it is consumed and how you feel about it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/binge-eating-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-20033155
  • Finding_me3
    Options
    Also, a "binge" is not classified by how much food you eat but how you feel about eating it. As you can see here, only ONE of the bullet points relates to the volume of food consumed, and the rest are about how it is consumed and how you feel about it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/binge-eating-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-20033155
    All of these comments are INCREDIBLY helpful! Thank you! :)