Not sure I'm doing this right ?

Options
2»

Replies

• monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hey, I always had the same issues! I was 205 lbs (or more, but it was unhealthy) and I'm your height. I was eating **** food and not really doing the snacking thing, barely drinking water (I hated water, that's different now) but I was "under my calories" so I was assumed I was okay. I have a water bottle with me all of the time, I fill it to the brim and drink all of it at least 3 times a day while I'm at work, then I go home and have more water. I spike it with crystal light sometimes if I need flavor, which does well. I started focusing on the quality of my calories, concentrating on fiber, protein and fats. I select foods that I know will fill me up and make me feel good. I also agree that you're eating too little! Try upping your calories and see how you feel. :) If you have any more questions, you can message me!
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    in regards to not drinking enough water.. I hate plain water, i love pop (though i never drink it lol) I find a good way to get a higher water intake is drinking club soda or sparkling water. The fizzy in the water makes drinking it ok! I will often add fruit to it as well for added bonus (ie sliced lemons or frozen strawberries or rasperries and sliced lime.. you can be very creative with it)

Also, I would definitely bump up your calories to 1500. Im 5'7, 195 lbs and if i stay on track with 1800 cals a day I lose 1-1.5 lbs per week.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

My BMI is 30.0 so I do fall just into the obese range.

But you are not obese enough to be trying to lose 2 pounds per week. That is for people who need to lose 75 or 100 pounds or more.

Good job cutting the soda. When I was at my heaviest I was having french fries and a large soda (fast food) 5 days per week. I dropped the fries and soda and lost 15 pounds in a few months without changing anything else.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I see some vegetarian diaries that have dairy whey in it. I'm going to have to look into that. Any input ? I saw it's a powder but I have no idea how to even consume it. lol

I like the chocolate protein powder, I mix it in 2% milk and have it as an after work out drink. Sometimes I put half a scoop in coffee and make a "mocha coffee". I have heard that people put it in their oatmeal or yogurt or make a smoothie with it (though they probably don't use the chocolate flavor for that).
  • cinnamonkitty
    Options
    Maybe have your blood sugar tested for a start, just to be on the safe side. Try eating small high protein snacks between meals and yeah, with your added exercise maybe you should eat a few more calories.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I should mention this - for the past 15 years (until starting MFP) I was also pollo vegetarian. (only ate chicken). I'm allergic to eggs (yes, it's a real allergy). So chicken/nuts/beans were my only protein source. I'm struggling now because I'd rather not eat meat but there is no way for me to hit the amount of protein I should be getting without it.

I see some vegetarian diaries that have dairy whey in it. I'm going to have to look into that. Any input ? I saw it's a powder but I have no idea how to even consume it. lol

Thank you guys so much for your help!! :) The people on MFP have been awesome!
    Feel free to look through my diary for ideas for non-meat protein sources. I've been traveling a lot in the past week and relying too much on protein powder, but I usually have a lot of different protein sources including eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, kefir, beans, nuts, etc. You can totally get enough protein without relying on meat, it just takes a lot of planning!

Nice job cutting your soda down as far as you can, btw! Trying to get rid of the last one every day might cause some caffeine withdrawal, so be prepared for that. Water, water, water! A cup of black coffee, or even coffee with some milk, would help too. The symptoms don't last very long, so you just need to get through a couple days.
  • akilbourn
    Options
    Hmm, your blood sugar may be off, you and I are similar weights, and I struggle with my blood sugar. I would consult my doctor. Also like others have said, because you are working out now, you may want to consume more calories.
  • cheliekayy
    cheliekayy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My worst days, I was drinking 8-10 cans of Dr. Pepper a DAY.
    My food intake has never been bad as I love healthy foods. The reason I'm overweight is probably 80% soda and 20% the way I ate previously (one meal a day).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to diet soda?

Either way, I think it's not reasonable at all to aim for 2 lbs a week if you don't work out much.
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cheliekayy
    cheliekayy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I should mention this - for the past 15 years (until starting MFP) I was also pollo vegetarian. (only ate chicken). I'm allergic to eggs (yes, it's a real allergy). So chicken/nuts/beans were my only protein source. I'm struggling now because I'd rather not eat meat but there is no way for me to hit the amount of protein I should be getting without it.

Thank you guys so much for your help!! :) The people on MFP have been awesome!
    Feel free to look through my diary for ideas for non-meat protein sources. I've been traveling a lot in the past week and relying too much on protein powder, but I usually have a lot of different protein sources including eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, kefir, beans, nuts, etc. You can totally get enough protein without relying on meat, it just takes a lot of planning!

Nice job cutting your soda down as far as you can, btw! Trying to get rid of the last one every day might cause some caffeine withdrawal, so be prepared for that. Water, water, water! A cup of black coffee, or even coffee with some milk, would help too. The symptoms don't last very long, so you just need to get through a couple days.

Thanks :) I will definitely look through your diary and see what protein ideas I can "steal".

As far as caffeine withdrawals ....
    My Dr. recommended taking an Acai Berry supplement (it's berry, green tea and caffeine) to wean me down off the pop and it worked very well to get me from 8 cans of pop to one with no supplement (and no withdrawals)

So with giving up that morning Dr. Pepper. I'll just replace it with the supplement for a few days, then every other day, then not at all :)