Exercise at work???

Options
2»

Replies

• DannysGirl4ever
    DannysGirl4ever Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We have an exercise room at work, complete with a shower. But if you aren't lucky to have this amenity (or arent close to a gym to go to during a break), you could always go for a walk. It really helps to break away (even if you are squeezing it in around meetings). I try to do a power walk for 20 minutes several times/day. I realize that isn't always possible but it does help reduce stress and to get a fresh look at work.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I do squats, lunges, tricep extensions, and pushups either when on lunch or on a conference call that I don't really need to participate in lol :-)

... Plus either 30 mins cardio before work/30DS video after, or 60 min cardio + 30DS video after work. Keeps me active through the day, but it's definitely not a cure-all. I do less on days when I workout early partly as a reward for getting myself out of bed at 5am

Also- I NEVER use the inter-office mail system. I work in a 600,000 sq ft factory, and still get off my rear and deliver documents myself. That way I've fit in some walking AND I know that my document got there.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Squats in the bathroom, lunges in the bathroom if you have a big enough stall, wall push-ups (kinda gross but you're gonna wash your hands anyway, right?), up and down stairs, walking. Lots of things you can do :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why not focus on a dedicated workout outside of work? The whole jargon of "just take the stairs instead of the elevator" drives me insane. That's not a workout; it's not enough.

If one has a desk job, a 'dedicated workout outside of work' may not be enough either. There is increasing evidence that sitting for extended periods of time can cause health problems regardless of exercise routine.
  • Tpope66
    Tpope66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use my TRX straps on breaks.
  • Yilsip
    Yilsip Posts: 50
    Options
    You guys have awesome ideas, thanks so much for the info on the group, and sharing your routines, it really helps expand my routine, the core/strength training is my goal as I already get off 2 stops before my home stop and walk about 20 minutes when the weather permits, I am in NYC.
    I am also not making excuses, I am far from a lazy bee, my husband works evenings and weekends so finding time for the gym is not feasible during the week. I do workout at night which makes me super wired and results in hunger and insomnia, working on getting this under control.
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do squats and wall sits every time I use the bathroom in addition to an actual workout at the end of the day. While I agree that nothing replaces a longer workout, it absolutely does help to do those little bit of exercise during the day! I find it gives me so much more energy and has helped me work harder during Zumba or the HIIT trainings I do at night. EVERY BIT MAKES YOU STRONGER AND REVS YOUR METABOLISM!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I do my achilles stretches every time I go to the restroom. I've had problems with plantar fasciitis in the past. We have formed a walking group at work that just started. Mon/Wed/Fri for 1/2 hour at lunchtime.

There is a rather small company with a very large one story facility in my area that REQUIRES their employees to walk everyday around the outside of their building. This is pre-scheduled and who walks with whom is assigned and changes frequently. Supposely, it promotes making new contacts, opens up new ideas, keeps people healthy, and avoids cliques.

Although I workout every night after work at my local community center, we do have a gym at work which requires a membership and one agency in their own building does have a workout area with a padded floor and the staff does workouts at lunchtime and breaks with DVDs.
  • Yilsip
    Options
    Congratulations on being cancer free!
    I also work at a desk all day. Had to go to a therepist because of some medical problems due to cancer ( am cancer free now) but did get some stretches that I can do while sitting at my desk of standing at the desk. am at work right now but when I get home will post those exercises for you
  • Yilsip
    Options
    Thanks for the walking group suggestion, we used to do the stairs together twice per day, then stop. While I go alone, I enjoy the team aspect. As soon as the weather permits, we will be going out for those half hour walks.
    You guys have great feedback, much appreciated.
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being cancer free!
    I also work at a desk all day. Had to go to a therepist because of some medical problems due to cancer ( am cancer free now) but did get some stretches that I can do while sitting at my desk of standing at the desk. am at work right now but when I get home will post those exercises for you

thank you