My SUCCESS STORY. !!!PICS!!! OVER 120lbs LOST - PCOS

Options
cm1458
cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
I've got a little story to share. WAY back in January of 2011, I started cutting out any beverage that wasn't water and started working out (Variations of jogging and an array of Jillian's work out DVDs). I lost 120lbs. I got down to 145 at 5'9 tall. I was a size 6-8. One day I decided I was tired and that I didn't have to work out because I'd already been doing it for so long. 3 months went by and I hadn't done any exercise, and I was BINGING too. Before I knew it, I was back up to 190 in less than 6 months. I didn't realize how bad it got until a couple weeks ago. SOME people can eat like that and "Get away with it." But not me. I have PCOS, which is a genetic female hormone-related ovarian-cyst disease. This means that it will almost always be harder for me to lose weight and keep it off than women who don't have it. I have gained 11 pounds overnight before and it's taken me a month or longer to lose it. This has happened more times than I can count.

BUT I can HONESTLY say that I am SO proud of myself and the week I have had. I started out the week depressed and stressed and I honestly didn't think I could take anymore. What did I do? I brought everything I had! I broke this plateau that I've had for almost a year, I Worked my butt off...I didn't stop when I was tired. I stopped when I was done. This week I have burned almost 2,500 calories, and have only had one rest day. THIS WEEK I started jogging again and I also started believing again. I've been struggling for a LONG time. I have dropped almost 4lbs in 7 days.

If I can do it anyone can!

Where will you be in 6 months?

29d50f8e-2b54-47b7-9f78-e73411886153_zps2796ee13.jpg

EDIT : fix link!

Replies

• vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a great week- and for achieving what you have, PLUS your great attitude with PCOS! I have a friend with that & I know its no easy feat. You certainly can do it! You inspired me today, thank you :) I know you will get where you want to be!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Keep it up. Hormones suck - at least when they don't work right for us. Keep up the good work!
  • nellysen
    nellysen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are!! Well done and THANK YOU!
    With PCOS and obese.... I also sometimes just want to give up. Seeing your before and after pictures is such an incredible kick in the butt for me. THANK YOU for that and keep it up!!!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    PCOs is miserable. I have had friends with it. Glad you have found a way to lose the weight and it also helps control the symptoms. :flowerforyou:
  • ajorust
    ajorust Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "I didn't stop when I was tired. I stopped when I was done."

What a great saying. Terrific job!!
  • ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Awesome rebound, keep up your hard work is paying off.
  • exzcape
    exzcape Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • lilynblue
    lilynblue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great transformation!! I also have pcos, so I completely understand how difficult it can be to lose weight AND keep it off. You look great, keep it up!
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Super inspiring story- thanks for sharing!!
    I also have PCOS and find it super hard to lose weight. I'm back on MFP after a few months of procrastination and giving up- this time I'm watching the sugars like a hawk and keeping my calories low.
    you ask were I will be in 6 months- I hope to be down 15 lbs or more!
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! You have shown that you have the courage, dedication and strength to do this! Way to go! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ursus_feminus
    ursus_feminus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, you're not alone. Many of us have lost and regained.. Congrats on getting back on track with a vengeance! You're gonna make this your lifestyle and it will stick this time..
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    congrats!

I'm wondering what is PCOS? I read about it on here about how its harder to lose weight, so just wondering what it is.
  • FatGirlSad
    Options
    Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) - Topic Overview

Polycystic ovary syndrome (say "pah-lee-SIS-tik OH-vuh-ree SIN-drohm") is a problem in which a woman's hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS also may cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it isn't treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease.

Most women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries. That is why it is called polycystic ovary syndrome. The cysts are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalances.

Early diagnosis and treatment can help control the symptoms and prevent long-term problems.

Hormones are chemical messengers that trigger many different processes, including growth and energy production. Often, the job of one hormone is to signal the release of another hormone.

For reasons that are not well understood, in PCOS the hormones get out of balance. One hormone change triggers another, which changes another. For example:

The sex hormones get out of balance. Normally, the ovaries make a tiny amount of male sex hormones (androgens). In PCOS, they start making slightly more androgens. This may cause you to stop ovulating, get acne, and grow extra facial and body hair.
    The body may have a problem using insulin, called insulin resistance. When the body doesn't use insulin well, blood sugar levels go up. Over time, this increases your chance of getting diabetes.
    The cause of PCOS is not fully understood, but genetics may be a factor. PCOS seems to run in families, so your chance of having it is higher if other women in your family have it or have irregular periods or diabetes. PCOS can be passed down from either your mother's or father's side.

Symptoms tend to be mild at first. You may have only a few symptoms or a lot of them. The most common symptoms are:

Acne.
    Weight gain and trouble losing weight.
    Extra hair on the face and body. Often women get thicker and darker facial hair and more hair on the chest, belly, and back.
    Thinning hair on the scalp.
    Irregular periods. Often women with PCOS have fewer than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have very heavy bleeding.
    Fertility problems. Many women who have PCOS have trouble getting pregnant (infertility).
    Depression.

per webMD.

I have it too.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) - Topic Overview

Polycystic ovary syndrome (say "pah-lee-SIS-tik OH-vuh-ree SIN-drohm") is a problem in which a woman's hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS also may cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it isn't treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease.

Most women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries. That is why it is called polycystic ovary syndrome. The cysts are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalances.

Early diagnosis and treatment can help control the symptoms and prevent long-term problems.

Hormones are chemical messengers that trigger many different processes, including growth and energy production. Often, the job of one hormone is to signal the release of another hormone.

For reasons that are not well understood, in PCOS the hormones get out of balance. One hormone change triggers another, which changes another. For example:

The sex hormones get out of balance. Normally, the ovaries make a tiny amount of male sex hormones (androgens). In PCOS, they start making slightly more androgens. This may cause you to stop ovulating, get acne, and grow extra facial and body hair.
    The body may have a problem using insulin, called insulin resistance. When the body doesn't use insulin well, blood sugar levels go up. Over time, this increases your chance of getting diabetes.
    The cause of PCOS is not fully understood, but genetics may be a factor. PCOS seems to run in families, so your chance of having it is higher if other women in your family have it or have irregular periods or diabetes. PCOS can be passed down from either your mother's or father's side.

Symptoms tend to be mild at first. You may have only a few symptoms or a lot of them. The most common symptoms are:

Acne.
    Weight gain and trouble losing weight.
    Extra hair on the face and body. Often women get thicker and darker facial hair and more hair on the chest, belly, and back.
    Thinning hair on the scalp.
    Irregular periods. Often women with PCOS have fewer than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have very heavy bleeding.
    Fertility problems. Many women who have PCOS have trouble getting pregnant (infertility).
    Depression.

per webMD.

I have it too.

thank you, I appreciate the info.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!