Teacher's Gift?

Options
If you are a teacher, what type of gifts do you like to get from your student?

If you have a child, what type of gift are you getting for your child's teacher?

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Oh! I'm a teacher! And I always did not like getting the oodles and oodles of candy/baked goods. I mean, I did when I was in my sugar frenzy- eating everything and anything I wanted.

Gift cards to barnes and noble are awesome.
    Also, a fresh fruit basket or even flowers!
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Small gift certificates to Tim Hortons, or Michaels (craft store) are always great. Teachers need lots of caffeine obviously, and lots of supplies come out of our own pockets so even a little bit helps :) Oh.. maybe a nice go cup from Starbucks...? Hahah.. I am listing off my Christmas wishlist.. lol
  • aggiemommy
    Options
    Oh I like this thread...good idea on the Barnes and Noble gift card! My oldest is in kinder this year and so I had no idea what to get. I was thinking about baking cookies but felt it was so overdone.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't plan on doing anything edible. Here are my ideas. Keep in mind that my daughter is in a preschool (daycare setting, but preschool program) and her teachers are youngish. She has three. I was thinking of...

A monogram apron with the first letter of their first name in a cute box. Maybe a matching coffee monogram coffee mug?

My sister got her kids teacher a Juicy Couture chain bracelet with the heart charm, which is cute too. I guess I could do that. They are in different schools.

Would a cute set of Pajamas be too personal? Who doesn't like pajamas?

A gift card to Starbucks (but this is so blah and not creative at all).

I want to do something different and something they will enjoy for sure.
  • lina1131
    Options
    I'm going to go during my lunch break, so i'll post what I end up getting as soon as I get back.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am a total fan of gift cards. I know they are so lame, but at the same time, I don't really "know" the teachers likes and dislikes other than, they don't like my kids running crazy. Maybe a harness... Hmm.. :)

I usually just do the gift card with some flowers and be done. I go very generic on the gift cards, Walmart, or one of the ones that are good for like four food joints, maybe movie tickets.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    wow teachers in america get spoilt! Im a teacher in the UK and ive never heard of being given gifts like those! :D maybe a box of choccies or a mug if very lucky!
  • wanderinghorn
    Options
    I'm a teacher..gift cards are fanstastic! B&N, Pier One, even healthy places like Panera Bread are all very appreciated. You don't have to buy large amounts either. When you have a large number of students and many of them gift $5-10 it is still a great savings. It is very sweet and thoughtful of you to give a gift at all. Even though they might not all be to our individual tastes, I know I have appreciated each and every gift I have ever received from one of my kids! I sometimes take extra baked goods to parties with me-that may sound like regifting but the truth is, if I can do that, it saves me so much time and energy and that is a great gift!
  • lina1131
    Options
    wow teachers in america get spoilt! Im a teacher in the UK and ive never heard of being given gifts like those! :D maybe a box of choccies or a mug if very lucky!

That's sad. Teachers are so unappreciated most of the time. I want my daughter's teachers to know that we appreciate them. My daughter adores her teachers.
  • wanderinghorn
    Options
    Wow! The JC bracelt is awesome! And PJs..you are very thoughtful! I also LOVE the apron idea! Wish you were one of my moms!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like gift cards. I think those teachers spend a ton of their money on goods/supplies on their class and if they have gift cards they can supplement the money they've spent.

I like Target, Grocery Stores and visa cards. That way they can get what they need. :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The starbucks card would be a big hit with me. Believe me, it's always the "cash equivalent" gifts I appreciate the most...teachers are outrageously underpaid.:tongue:

I have approximately one zillion coffee mugs, and have received many, many edibles I couldn't eat over the years.

The apron idea is very original if you'd like to go more personal.

Thanks for appreciating teachers!:heart::flowerforyou: :heart:
  • lina1131
    Options
    I just figure that the ladies are there with my daughter during the week (she's only part time, but still) while I am not there taking care of her. People spend money left and right on all sorts of things, it would be nice to show them just how much we are thankful for them. Plus, the teachers at my daughters school get paid crap, literally, crap. They deserve something nice.
  • wanderinghorn
    Options
    Well that makes you very awesome and your daughter's teachers very blessed!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i usually give target gift cards or personalized christmas decorations or candles...

this year i bought initial ornaments and candles with their initial on it....
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A gift card for a pedicure, manicure, some sort of spa treatment to pamper them. After all, they do have a stressful job dealing with curtain climbers and rug rats (and the adorable ones too).
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think there's another forum post on this topic, but I'll repost here. As previously mentioned, a lot of teachers aren't into receiving food for a multitude of reasons (allergies, diets, the question or cleanliness/sabotage). Not all American teachers are spoiled. For example, since I teach high school English, so I rarely get gifts from students anymore. I think they're too concerned that their peers will think they are brown nosing.

However, if I COULD get a gift, I would love a gift certificate for the spa, coffee/tea, office supplies, or a gift certificate to Walmart/Target/Staples/Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts or another restaurant. A heartfelt card is also something I would greatly enjoy keeping and would be inspirational on a bad day. I know that over the years teachers can acquire all sorts of gifts, so many that get stashed away and forgotten or given away at yard sales, which is just plain sad.

Shannon