Inspirational Workout Phrase

Options
This Christmas I want to get my sister an iPod Shuffle with an engraved message (apparently they do this for free!). She's been getting back to the gym and I wanted to give her some encouragement along with her music.

Any suggestions on what to engrave? I'm looking for something that could include her name and has to do with working out.

Thanks in advance!

PS: If anyone is interested, here's the site: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_shuffle?mco=MTM3NDc1NzA

Replies

• TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Whenever I feel unmotivated, or I am thinking about stopping, I think to myself, "Nothing good comes easy!"

"Being brave does not mean being unafraid. It means being afraid and doing it anyways."

You have only one life, are you where you want to be?

“The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.” Walter Bagehot

"It's a journey, not a race" This helps me when I've "fallen off the wagon" so to speak, and re-energizes me to do better the next day.

OR is there a lyrics to a song that you know she loves??? :o) BEAUTIFUL idea hunny!! :o)
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Thanks for the fantastic suggestions, TaraMaria! I should have clarified, I need a phrase that is a little shorter. I think the max for a shuffle is about 40 characters.

I'll start looking into songs, too. Unfortunately, she's an opera singer, so most of her favorite songs are in latin or french! ;)
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    That would be SUPER cool to try to find something short and in latin to put on it...however, it would be my luck that I'd mess it up and instead of saying "You've got this sis!" it would say "Go do the twist!" Which I guess still KIND OF applies...
  • chadjensen
    Options
    The man on top of the mountain did not fall there
  • SkierElle
    Options
    She'd probably like a phrase/a couple words in French or Latin!! Take something in English and translate it and see if it turns out sounding cool. Sorry I'm blank for suggestions but I'll think about it!
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Oh tara, I just saw your post - haha guess we had the same idea!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yup, go with a Latin phrase. Here is a giant list alphabetical http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html there is also a translator on the site but of course the direct translation may not make sense so it’s best to just google around.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have a engraved phrase in Irish on the back of my iPod, but it's more of a reminder of how to live and has nothing to do with fitness.

I do however have a short mantra that I repeat to myself when I'm on my long runs "train hard, run smart" mostly so I pace myself and avoid injury! Something simple like that is probably best if you're surprising her with it.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!
  • awikstrand
    awikstrand Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always use... "It can't get worse than this"

I am not a lover of poetic words of wisdom, but this phrase gets me through the hour.

Amanda
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as being heathy feels.

or

If you're going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    LOL, akiwistrand! Glad that works for you, but I think that would depress me if I were to repeat that while running! :D

Thanks for the great phrases so far everyone. Just a note, she doesn't actually speak latin or french, she just has training in how to sing in those languages. D'oh!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I love it, even when i hate it, because it makes me strong.

Be your own champion.

It's your boat. Row it.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I used to skate flat track roller derby and one of our coaches would always yell "You can do anything for 60 seconds!" It stuck with me (big time) and now I even catch myself yelling it when I run.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    It's your boat. Row it.
    Love this!!!!!
  • TaraMaria
    Options
    You know it would mean a lot to me if it was just a short message from my sister like "I have all the faith in you!" or "you've got this sis!":heart: It's such a sweet gift to begin with this would just sweeten it!