Help re Vegetarian MultiVit

Options
Ive been vegetarian for 10 years. Occasionally when I go to donate blood my Hb is too low to donate. The cut off is 125 and sometimes Ill be in the 109-120 range. I rarely take my vitamins. Ideally I'd like to take a b12, vit d, and multivit with iron that's vegetarian friendly.
I haven't been taking the multivitamin though as it upsets my stomach. Even if I take it with food, it makes me nauseated, and sometimes I end up throwing up whatever I was trying to eat with it. If I take it on an empty stomach the nausea is worse. I figure this is due to the iron, but getting an iron free vitamin seems like a bad idea when I am vegetarian.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Take a kids chewable with iron. Easier on the stomach
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Take a kids chewable with iron. Easier on the stomach

They usually have gelatin which makes them not vegetarian.
  • erickbrian
    erickbrian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As a guy that has a vegan GF (who eats like **** and has the same problem with vitamins), and also, I was vegetarian for 2 years...

1) Are you eating enough variety of foods? (Mix more legumes/dark leafy greens; maybe add more variety)

2) Are you eating enough? (Meeting your nutritional needs?)

3) You don't need a multi if you get enough nutrition in your diet, but if you need help, I would susggest
    a) Juicing/Blending: the best way to get your nutrients is live food. Juicing is dense in macronutrients (best way to get it)
    b) Get some supergreen food mix (Amazing Greens sell some great blends.)

If you want to take a multi-vitamin, I suggest take it with food and lots of water to prevent the irritation. (Or start juicing.)
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating a variety of foods: legumes, pumpkin seeds, dark leafy greens.

As an aside, I was clinically anemic back when I was eating meat. I also had a problem taking a multivitamin. Turned out it was the brand I was taking that I didn't agree with. I've had success with Women's One-a-day although it isn't vegetarian. It took 2 years of a multivitamin, iron, AND vitamin D pill before I was back to normal and could rely on my diet alone. I regularly give blood 3 times a year and haven't had a problem with iron since my vegetarian switch just from eating a variety of foods.

I really like the NOW brand of vitamins. They usually have a veg version of each of their pills and they are pretty economical.
    http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Ferrochel-Veg-capsules-120-Count/dp/B000WQDD2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395237809&sr=8-1&keywords=now+iron+vegetarian
    http://www.amazon.com/Foods-1000Iu-High-Potency-Vcaps/dp/B0014C7DS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395238297&sr=8-1&keywords=now+vitamin+d+vegetarian
    http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Eve-Vegetarian-Capsules/dp/B0013OXDHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395238359&sr=8-1&keywords=now+multivitamin+vegetarian
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If your Hb blood count is regularly below 120, see a doctor.

Get iron, B12 and folate tested. Do not take iron without medical monitoring because too much is just as bad as too little.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am wondering why you, as a vegetarian, aren't getting most of your micros from food.
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin, I can't think of the brand off the top of my head. I always take mine with some juice to avoid the taste and upset stomach.
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am wondering why you, as a vegetarian, aren't getting most of your micros from food.

Sometimes its not about the intake, its about how your body absorbs and uses it, or if you have some other illness contributing to a deficiency. Some people absorb animal based iron easier, others plant, and some people don't produce enough red blood cells or their red blood cells are destroyed at an increased rate.