why is weight in grams?

Options
ferky1
ferky1 Posts: 11 Member
I would like to add a recipe to MFP. However, everything is in grams or kilorgrams and for those in the United States it would be easier to add ingredients that we use like pound, tbsp, cups. Am I able to adjust the measurements in MFP

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Many food items on the website are listed in those alternative ways (other than grams).

However, grams is actually waaaaaay more accurate than cups, tbsp, etc. Why not invest in a food scale? You'd be surprised how much you are really eating.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and use grams. For uploading a recipe, you can use tsps for spices and such, I have in the past. Serious bakers go by weight, not volume, to offset the impact of sifting/settling/packing/etc.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am American, and it drives me nuts when things aren't in grams. I like to be as precise as possible when weighing food, sometimes cups, tablespoons, etc. just don't cut it.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Metric measurements are great when you get used to them because that system actually makes logical sense. And I think every packaged ingredient I've ever used here in the US is labeled in grams as well as ounces. I don't think there is anywhere on MFP to do the conversions, but some items give different options for how to log it. Just remember that 1 oz=28g. If you don't want to do the math, there are conversion sites online. I generally use that at work when I weigh my apple in ounces on the postage meter after i cut it up. And also remember that cups and tablespoons are not accurate for measuring anything but liquids.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I would like to add a recipe to MFP. However, everything is in grams or kilorgrams and for those in the United States it would be easier to add ingredients that we use like pound, tbsp, cups. Am I able to adjust the measurements in MFP

You are absolutely right, it would be easier for you. It also might help to realize that MFP is an international site. There are more than 7 billion people on this planet and ALL except for 320 million ( the population of the US) use grams and kilos.
    When I check MFP I think that everything is in ounces and cups and I have to for ever adjust measurements .
    For me it would be easier ( and more accurate ) if everything were in grams.....:o).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I am American, and it drives me nuts when things aren't in grams. I like to be as precise as possible when weighing food, sometimes cups, tablespoons, etc. just don't cut it.

+1
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. When anything is expressed in cups my brain goes into meltdown. I just have no idea how anything is measured that way.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If you are entering a recipe that has cups, you can always measure a cup, put it on a gram scale, and use the grams from then on. Or you can search the calories per cup elsewhere (lots of sites on the web), and add the food to the database using the cup measurement.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

This^^
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Metric measurements are great when you get used to them because that system actually makes logical sense. And I think every packaged ingredient I've ever used here in the US is labeled in grams as well as ounces. I don't think there is anywhere on MFP to do the conversions, but some items give different options for how to log it. Just remember that 1 oz=28g. If you don't want to do the math, there are conversion sites online. I generally use that at work when I weigh my apple in ounces on the postage meter after i cut it up. And also remember that cups and tablespoons are not accurate for measuring anything but liquids.

Postage meter hack FTW!

I can't believe I've never thought of that. You are my hero today :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    yup.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I used to think of measurements mostly by volume (ie:cups, tblsp, etc) and ounces but now I am used to grams and irritated when I the first things in the data base show up in ounces :ohwell:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

This^^

This again ^^^^^^
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cups are a volume measurement, it's not appropriate for everything. I like grams better because everything can be weighed in grams- dry goods, liquids (1 g is about 1 ml), whole fruit, whatever. Love my food scale.

Some items in the data base are listed with multiple measurements. I like to use the data from MFP whenever possible because they usually list both oz, grams, and cups as well as generic sizing. Try searching for more specific items like "apples raw" instead of "apple", look for entries without an asterisk(*). An asterisk means another user entered it and the quantity options are chosen by that individual.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Because America is not the super-power it once was and we will soon be overrun by the metric system.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would like to add a recipe to MFP. However, everything is in grams or kilograms and for those in the United States it would be easier to add ingredients that we use like pound, tbsp, cups. Am I able to adjust the measurements in MFP

You're talking about two different things. Grams are a measurement of weight. Tablespoons and cups are a measure of volume. I think 8 oz of shredded cheese is supposed to be about 2 cups but if you gave 5 people a block of cheese and had them shred enough for 2 cups, I highly doubt they would all weigh the same. Some people might pack the cheese in there and some might just barely fill it to 2 cups. We have no idea how densely the cheese in the cup should be packed to achieve 2 cups unless we weigh it and get 8 oz, or 226 grams and change.

I'm in the US and it drives me nuts when I see dry measured ingredients listed as 1/2 cup, etc. It's not as big a deal (to me) with spices but otherwise, give me the weight, please.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The US is only 1 of 2 countries in the world not using the metric system. Grams ... and the whole metric system is just so much smarter, and way more precise.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have to opposite problem. When anything is expressed in cups my brain goes into meltdown. I just have no idea how anything is measured that way.

It isnt. It's ridiculous, even to me, an American born and raised. I don't understand cups. A cup of broccoli? Are you kidding? Am I supposed to liquefy it or something?

I have been born and raised in the UK so when I first encountered the idea of cups I was like 'huh?'. I didnt realise you guys have a set size for what a cup is. I just thought you grab a random cup out the cupboard and fill them with ingredients.

I did relent and bought myself some measuring cups so I can make some recipes I find online that use cups but I dont like using them. It just feels wrong lol
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    yup.
    yepyep