How do you motivate yourself?

Options
I have absolutely no motivation whatsoever to go to the gym. I do not know how to motivate myself at all. I have gained 10 pounds over the last 6 months and have hit my 200 lb mark. I have noticed that my back has begun hurting because of the additional weight, I have no energy, and my confidence has taken a nosedive. I know if I don't do anything I will just get worse, but I don't know why all that I have said above is not motivation enough for me to go. I previously started going around this time last year and lost about 8 pounds, but I stopped going after I stopped losing weight. How do you motivate yourself?

Replies

• taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    I look at myself naked in the mirror. That always helps.
  • _wilky_
    _wilky_ Posts: 2
    Options
    For me,

I find that having a goal to lose weight is not always a good idea, it's hard to see any real progress all the time. Have you thought about setting a different goal? maybe a 5 - 10k Run? will give you something to aim, train and diet for and the weight will come off along the way....

Enjoy the process and the results will come
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    At the start, I signed up to a 5km run and told people about it. I bought a jacket that was just a little too tight and told people about it. I essentially embarrassed myself in to doing it.

Honestly now, sure, the odd time I need a kick up the bum, but it's just what I do. I run 3+ times a week, I lift weights 2+ times a week, I do pilates, I try to keep active outside of that. I try to plan social activities around being active - meeting a friend for a walk/hike/etc... I eat as healthily as I can. I still have a piece of cake and a glass of wine, but I'm back completely on track straight after. As it turns out, I've signed up for another run - a half marathon. I'm afraid to skip on my training sessions in case I can't finish the run - a definite possibility. It's in July. But really it's not motivation, it's just what I do.

Due to family illness I was away before Christmas and wasn't able to keep my routine going. I got headaches, felt miserable, etc... Just don't want to feel like that again.

Motivation gets you started but habit is what keeps you going.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I look at exercise as something that is non-negotiable. The way I always must brush my teeth in the morning-I must workout 6 days a week and on the 7th day make sure I stay active doing fun things with my family. I've been working out for years but I remember it took about 1 month to fully establish my exercise habit. If I go away, I always make sure I walk everywhere or swim if its that kind of vaca. I feel tired and irritable when I don't get to move enough.
    I love to eat and I would be miserable eating 1200 calories a day so I know I need to move my body.
    I eat whole foods that I cook from scratch with fruits for snacks and dessert and chocolate everyday.
    I know if I feed my self well and balanced, I will naturally feel energetic and satisfied, with no need to binge.
  • cheles2014
    cheles2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I'm ever struggling to workout, I remind myself that I ALWAYS feel better, not worse, after a workout!
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My motivation started after my Mother came to live with me. She was in the first signs of dementia (altimeters). She had gotten hurt and was not as active as she used to be. I watch her go from able to take care but should live by herself to in a nursing home not able to walk or talk. I don't want to end up like that so i go to the gym 3 times a week, zumba one night and jog 5 days a week. I just remember that if you don't take care of yourself now someone will be doing it for you down the road.
  • bassclef19
    bassclef19 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I look at exercise as something that is non-negotiable. The way I always must brush my teeth in the morning-I must workout 6 days a week and on the 7th day make sure I stay active doing fun things with my family. I've been working out for years but I remember it took about 1 month to fully establish my exercise habit. If I go away, I always make sure I walk everywhere or swim if its that kind of vaca. I feel tired and irritable when I don't get to move enough.
    I love to eat and I would be miserable eating 1200 calories a day so I know I need to move my body.
    I eat whole foods that I cook from scratch with fruits for snacks and dessert and chocolate everyday.
    I know if I feed my self well and balanced, I will naturally feel energetic and satisfied, with no need to binge.

This is it right here.
  • amylg05
    amylg05 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Think about the awesome body you're going to have at the end of all your hard work! And I find that once I'm at the gym or start working out, I build more energy and don't mind it so much even if I was feeling de-motivated in the first place :>
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump I am so (gym) unmotivated that my pep talk has laryngitis.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to lose weight, I never honestly tried until last month. I had a few health problems and they came from me balloning up to 271 since I had my daughter 2 yrs ago. I was 225 the day I was released. I knew I was getting bad. But steping on the scale at my drs and seeing 271 then my doctor telling me my health problems was coming from my weight killed me. I started the next day and I'm 20 down and feeling good. I see my baby girl and I know I want to live for her. And set a good example for her.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go to the gym then don't! Find an excersise you do like - go for a hike, ride a bike, go for a run, swim, play a sport, go kayaking, learn to dance, ice skate - whatever suits you. There is more to excersising than lifting weights or doing aerobics classes!

My sister has never ever in her whole life been active. After finishing treatment for breast cancer she took up dragonboating with a breast cancer survival group and now trains a few days each week and has started competing both nationally and soon will be going to the US for a regatta in Florida. She and I are also going trekking to Everest Base Camp in Nepal - 17 days of trekking up and down mountains - and she has started training for that as well by walking and slow jogging etc. And this from a person who has been a life-long smoker and couch potato!

You just gotta find your buzz!
  • addictedtosweat
    Options
    I'm subscribed to fitness people on YouTube who I think are inspirational. They give me motivation :) and fitspiration pics help too.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    You keep pushing because you believe in yourself and in your vision, and you know that it is the right thing to do and success will come" Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Want to get into better shape, so I can out run the cops when I go on my crime spree.
  • m3dreamer2011
    Options
    I look at myself naked in the mirror. That always helps.

Yep, same deal with me. Side on images make me put on my running shoes and get out there!
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That keeps me motivated to work out but I can't afford a gym membership. We just bought a house and I'm a stay at home mom so I do videos from youtube
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: It's not about motivation. It's about determination. It's making the right choices consistently, whether you feel like it or not.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm getting older. I look around at some of my peers and think: "Dang! I'm glad I didn't let myself go like that!" It's hard not to be motivated when you see the people around you falling apart.

I really like and respect myself, so it's important for me to be the best version of Me possible. Anything less is a waste of potential. If the status quo is easier and more comfortable than the effort it takes to make improvements, it's going to be tough. For me, personally, being unfit would make my life harder and a lot less fun, so the effort is well worth it. It's also an investment in my future.

When you're ready to do it, you'll do it. Some people are never ready. Until you've made health and fitness a priority in your life, I can't see any reason to be motivated. I mean, if it wasn't important to me, I wouldn't do it, either. Decide what's more important and then go do it. :drinker:
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like to look at the people I went to school with and see that they have let themselves go. It makes me push harder to loose the weight I need to. I also found things I like to do other than go to a boring gym. Use the outdoors as your gym its a hell of alot better
  • mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'll buy something I'd like to fit into...or I'll volunteer to do work with habitat for humanity or some other organization that will REALLY work you hard. It's GREAT exorcise, your doing a good thing, and the whole time I keep telling myself it'd be easier if I didn't weigh so much, so its good motivation.