Having trouble eating my calories

Options
For the most part my calories stay between 800-1000, Not trying to starve myself but I'm just not hungry. Is anyone else having this problem .

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No, I often have 800+ in one meal.

You can eat more, you've just convinced yourself you can't. You won't get good results from starving yourself, your body needs nutrients it won't get from those low calories.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How do you need to lose 60 lbs if you have such a small appetite?
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    39215-grumpy-cat-no-Rwoe.jpeg
  • MgmXT
    MgmXT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are two ways to go about this. Either break up your calories into more meals/snacks OR you can eat fewer meals that are bigger. If you don't feel hungry but you know you SHOULD eat, then try eating a little bit of something to get your appetite going. I also find that when I simply go look at food or around the smell it triggers my appetite. Hope this helps!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    A lot of time when you have a calorie deficit, you tend to eat low calorie foods that are more filling. That's fine, just know that there are some calorie dense foods that will help you meet your calories (and this is important) without filling you up too much.

At the end of the day, if I need around 200 calories, a nice spoon full of peanut butter from the jar is just what I love. A handful of nuts will be the same.

Also, buy full fat dairy products.

Not being hungry sounds like a good thing. But remember, your body needs a certain amount of food every day to function and be healthy. A day here and there is not big deal - but consistent under eating can have some serious repercussions. It makes it very hard to keep your nutritional needs met.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

Bread 90
    Peanut Butter 100
    1/2 Banana 55

Total 245 Calories

My point is...don't cut out things that are higher in calorie...just control your servings.

About once a week I eat 1/2 of a frozen vegetable pizza...330 calories.

Eat food that you like...that you were eating before...just control your portion sizes.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    For the most part my calories stay between 800-1000, Not trying to starve myself but I'm just not hungry. Is anyone else having this problem .

In order to hit my calorie goal of 2400 per day sometimes I have to stuff 600 calories in before bed time. I'm not hungry, but guess what? I suck it up buttercup. :) Also, try drinking some of your calories if you're not hungry.

FYI - eating that little will ensure that a large amount of your weight loss will be muscle, which is no bueno my friend.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hungry? Eat a Snickers.

For real. The only logical reason most overweight people have trouble meeting their calorie goal is that they think they can only eat "diet" food. This isn't true. Eat what you want to eat. Full fat ranch dressing, peanut butter, breads, etc. are all fine. And if you end up over your calorie goal, don't sweat it. You were most likely consuming double or more of your current calorie goal to make you gain the weight you now need to lose.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Do you drink any kind of shakes? If you do, try get one with a higher calorie content. I know sometimes I don't feel very hungry either, but I sip on one of those for 600 calories!
  • s1rens0ng
    s1rens0ng Posts: 127 Member
    Options

yes i have had that problem, i have a small appetite i was just eating alot of takeaways and junk food before.... just snack on lots of fruit and veg between meals, or have 6 smaller meals a day instead of 3 with snacks between.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This problem is mystifying to me, as I'm pretty much constantly hungry and my deficit's not all that big. I always wonder, when I see posts like this one, whether the OP is actually eating more than s/he thinks?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

And when, exactly did this problem start?

IStillDon%27tUnderstand.jpg
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I used say that but then I discovered the joys of eating non diet food...1 slice of Victoria sponge cake at 500 calories is one way to reach the goal!
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You just need to find good foods that are higher in calories. For example peanut butter and eggs. MMM. Not together...but you get the picture :laugh:
  • scottsgirl4lyfe2004
    scottsgirl4lyfe2004 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i am having the same problem days i cant meet my calorie goal but eat all 3 meals although yesterday and today i have not been hungry at all an donly logged under 700 calories the past 2 days
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Appetite waxes and wanes. I haven't been especially hungry today and only netted just over 1,000...but tomorrow I'll probably eat my own arm plus someone else's. I average about 1500 net cals per day over a 7 day period. You can always save 'em for that day when you just wanna eat EVERYTHING.
  • 2002envoy
    Options
    I was strictly eating fast foods before 1 Big meal and sitting all day, I gained the sixty pounds over a 5 year period
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This problem is mystifying to me, as I'm pretty much constantly hungry and my deficit's not all that big. I always wonder, when I see posts like this one, whether the OP is actually eating more than s/he thinks?

I think some are.

I think some restrict too much at first, trying to cut out all teh things.

Some may be mental. I look at my logs from when I started and wonder how I didn't gnaw my own arm off.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    You just need to find good foods that are higher in calories. For example peanut butter and eggs. MMM. Not together...but you get the picture :laugh:

You actually think eggs are higher in calories? - they are full of good things but even a large egg is only 71 calories while providing 6 g protein - not a higher calorie food. Maybe yours are deepfried? :bigsmile: Hmmm, now there's a thought, but you'd definitely have to hardboil first then batter and fry.
  • Swimnessa
    Swimnessa Posts: 44
    Options
    So I am having a similar problem, I am supposed to be consuming about 1500 calories but now that I am actually watching what I eat, by the way, only 3 days in, I find food is not as "tasty" nor do I want as much of it. I think the shock of seeing how much I was really consuming before is part of it. We will see as I get further into this journey how hungry/not hungry I am.