Exercises that can be done quickly & without equipment??

Options
I'll be working in isolation for the next several months. My shifts are 12 hours which is great for dieting, you're moving around for 12 hours a day and have limited access to food. Snacking is what kills me. So that's a plus. As a negative though I won't have time to go to the gym (even though one is provided). 12 hour shifts + 45 minute bus rides to and from work, eating and showering leaves very very little time to workout.

Any ideas of things I can do quickly before bed in my room? I don't want to give up entirely and come home in time for summer with no progress.

All I can really think of are squats and crunches?

Thanks!

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    Take a look on youtube. There are lots of exercises there all free. Fitness Blender have all types of exercises that you can do. I am sure you would find something there.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are great and they cost like 7 dollars. You can fairly closely simulate a Bow Flex for 7 bucks lol.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com has great workouts and you can search by time, equipment, type (full body etc) all on your computer.

And they are all free.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Squats, Lunges, Push-ups, side-tricep pushup (lay on your side with your hand and forearm on the ground then push with your hand lifting your upper body and forearm off the ground, repeat both sides). Pull-ups (just requires a bar to hold onto). Any number of crunch style exercises.

Yoga is also good, holding those poses can require a surprising amount of strength.

If you can just find a place to alternate between pushups, pull-ups and squats you will be doing pretty well. For lower back you can just lay down on your belly and pick your fee and arms up off the ground and hold for a couple seconds then relax and repeat.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Check this website out!!!:

http://neilarey.com/workouts.html

It has tons of visual workouts that you don't need equipment for. It's been a great help for me!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to just body weight workouts. http://workoutseries.com/bodyweightbook/
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Well you would need a jump rope so I guess that is "equipment" but ... fairly inexpensive.

Also, small dumbells are fairly inexpensive too and you can do things at home w/ them.
  • ChilliRed
    ChilliRed Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Get a Kettlebell, Kettlebell swings give a full body workout and you can just do for five minutes 3 times a week. See http://www.theessentialman.com/blog/2013/3/13/getting-fit-part-3-training
  • meganlr_
    meganlr_ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas! The websites all look amazing, and resistance bands are an INCREDIBLE idea! I can't take very much with me but I could fit those for sure!
  • tfloyde
    tfloyde Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    get a bike and cycle both ways to work that should help you
  • walkerkt00
    walkerkt00 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Betty Rocker will change your life :) She has a moves gallery and offers these amazing free challenges every few months.

http://thebettyrocker.com/bodyweight-moves-gallery-from-the-anywhere-workouts-challenge/
  • kmyers4545
    kmyers4545 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    7 minute workout- google search and it'll come up
    Gorilla Workout- a free app that gives you daily exercises
    Any 30 day challenge- again, Google search and you'll find a variety of workouts

I don't use any gym equipment whatsoever and I get some killer workouts using the above. Sometimes, I'll modify them to give myself an extra burn (increase times, switch to plyometric version, add jumping jacks in between sets, etc...).
  • lchisum
    lchisum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I drop 3-5lbs easy right away when I give up sodas and start drinking water...then walking is a great exercise for weight loss and even more so for toning...you will lose inches before you ever even lose actual lb weight...
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Insanity DVDs on a laptop?
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Bomber pushups
  • monicamaz
    monicamaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There's 30 Day Shred that doesn't require much equipment (I replaced the weights with soup cans at first... now I have my own weights). Plus you can find it on youtube! :)
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com has great workouts and you can search by time, equipment, type (full body etc) all on your computer.

And they are all free.

This!

Im a fitnessblender queen. Love them.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    bump.......as looking for more ideas myself :)
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    What's your goal? Lose weight or build muscle?

If you want to lose weight then dieting and keeping busy will do you just fine. If you want to do some resistance training here's some basic stuff and what works what.

Push-ups - Chest, Triceps
    Squat/Lunges/Calf Raise - Glutes, Legs, Calves
    Sit-ups/Crunches/Leg Raise/Oblique Raise - Abs, Obliques
    Then get a pull up bar (some are as low as $20) and you're set. Pull-ups(can use a chair to assist) - Back, Biceps

It should at least get you by. GL.
  • josephanson
    Options
    Ya it’s possible to do exercises at home without any equipment. As I am a poor guy and I can't afford hi-tech gym so in order to keep my body fit I use to do Push-ups (Chest, Triceps), pull ups, Crunches and Sit-ups at my home. These exercises really helped me to stay fit and active.

http://www.cellublue.com/