Binge Eating

Options
Hi all,

I have managed to lose quite a bit of weight in the past (10st -> 8st 3), and I think that was to the point of too skinny. I did it by eating 1200-1500 calories a day, but now as a result for the past 2 years I have really struggled with binge eating. When I was living out it was controllable as there was no temptation in the house and I never went out and bought anything, but now I am living back in the parental home the temptation of everything is too much - so much so that I have gained 10 pounds since coming back. I'm now not happy with my figure, and really want to try and get back to a body where I was comfortable to wear the clothes I bought. It is a horrible cycle because no matter what I do I always binge - whether I am careful with what I eat or not. I have both stopped calorie counting and even counted to make myself eat 1800 calories a day just to see if it makes a difference. I've tried everything. I am hoping logging my binges will be helpful in seeing a pattern, though I know that it is boredom that causes it. It happens whenever I am at home, watching tv and on my computer. If you look at my diary today you can see I have binged this evening (it started at the Lindt!) but even this is not the worst I have been - I have sometimes struggled on three day, 4,000 calorie binges which have only stopped when I physically exhaust myself with disappointment and sugar overload.

Does anyone have any advice on overcoming this?

Replies

• easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A therapist? That's not snarky, that's serious. I have Binge Eating Disorder and it was impossible for me to stop eating until I was beyond physically uncomfortable whenever I was having any sort of emotional experience. Therapy really helped. Nowadays, I just focus on self-control. No one is making me eat when I'm bored, no one is putting food in my mouth and forcing me to chew and swallow. The idea of binging for me is a matter of will. It's hard, because I am pre-wired to eat when I am in the midst of heavy emotion or stress, but I simply choose not to, generally.

Keeping food out of the house, helps, but it's harder when there are roommates. Stopping before eating to ask yourself why you are reaching for food helps. If my answer is 'I'm hungry' then I think about how close to meal times I am and can often wait. If not, I picture a plate of unseasoned, broiled fish and steamed broccoli - if I'm hungry enough to eat that, I get a high-protein snack that is pre-measured and figure out how that works into my daily calories. If I'm not hungry, I ask myself what the hell I'm trying do - feel good? Experience pleasure? Am I bored? Am I upset? If I'm bored, I occupy my hands. If I'm emotional, I try to focus on what I'm feeling and why I think food will help that.

But fundamentally, at this point, it's about stopping myself from stopping and that only happened when I realized I was the only one causing the problem. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh - I mean, I know what it's like to fight a psychological battle in your own head, but it sounds like you already know what the solution is and are trying to identify triggers. The next step is finding your own method of stopping.
  • gizmosmom02
    gizmosmom02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love this answer. just wanted to let you know your response is helpful to me too.