I detest dieting and exercise. But I'm trying really hard.

Options
So this is my second week of my healthy eating and exercise plan. I hate it. I'm using this website to track everything, and I've been eating probably about 1600 calories per day, and then losing 300 from exercise daily. None of my meals are boring, I've got lot of variety and a ton of delicious meals coming my way, but I still hate it. I keep wondering when is this hell going to end. It's not that I even just dislike my healthy foods, I just hate the healthy portions. I really just want to eat an entire pot of brown rice and vegetables. I'm not craving sweets or chips, just more of what I'm eating. But I know that will mess me up calorie wise, and also even de-motivate me from exercising.

I want to lose 20 pounds, and then maintain that, but every day is a struggle. Can anyone give me motivational tips on sticking to regular portions, does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Every single day, it will get just a tiny bit easier. And then someday, if you eat that whole pot of brown rice and veggies, you will feel kind of sick and icky.

Just stick with it. It works.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    be-miserable-or-motivate-yourself-cute-girl-demotivational-posters-13398940011.jpg
  • zolena123
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get much sympathy here, we're all struggling one way or another.

My issue is very similar to yours, I love healthy food, but I want 10lbs of it at each meal.

Those shirataki noodle things really helped me a lot, lots of volume with very little calories.
    You really need to prepare them correctly, otherwise they have an unpleasant odor.

Take advantage of high volume filling food like green veggies and egg whites. A huge egg white omelet with salsa in the morning keeps me way more full than cereal or oatmeal for the same calories.

Stupid huge appetite. =(
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll find anyone here that likes dieting. When I was at my heaviest, I used to down an incredible amount of food. I remember going to a restaurant for breakfast and having 2 waffles, 4 eggs, 2 servings of hashbrowns, and 3 cups of coffee (not even kidding). I talked with my doctor about why I can eat so much and she told me that my stomach is likely "stretched out". If you start eating less, after time it will be easier to become full and stop eating. I have noticed this is the case. I can still eat a hefty portion but compared to what I could eat, it's much smaller.

If the issue is that you like food too damn much (like me, hehe), then do this. Scoop out your plate of rice and veggies and immediately stick the rest in the refrigerator. Food is a lot less tempting when it's cold. :)
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You may not be getting enough protein? But just keep at it. Eventually you will crave healthier foods and you will enjoy cooking them. Your stomach and brain will get used to the smaller portions soon. You'll also eventually learn to like exercise and you'll be able to burn more than 300 calories in at least some of your sessions, then you can eat a bit more on your high-burn days. Surround yourself with like-minded, supportive people and arm yourself with the necessary tools to change your lifestyle.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You should not be dieting. Fact if, what most people think of as dieting (eating the smaller portions or healthier foods) is what NORMAL eating should be. The first thing to do is change your mindset or you will always think you are missing out on something, or that you will eventually be able to go back to eat the way you used to.

And exercise is one of the most natural things you can do. It is what your body needs daily.

best of luck.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    No amount of advice is going to help you if you're not in the mindset to stick to this change. There is no quick fix, and that's the vibe you give off. You didn't gain weight over night, it was built up over months, maybe years. Complaining about it isn't going to get you anywhere, so take a look in the mirror and ask yourself how much do you want to lose weight? If you really want it, go for it. I'm not saying it easy- it's a learning curve and understanding your body better, and giving it what it wants- nutrients and movement. It's a day at a time, and a positive outlook.
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Try different things until you think, "hey, that's not so bad." Eventually, it will turn into, "I kind of like this" then, "hell yeah, this is awesome!"

Maybe start with 5 small meals instead of 3 larger ones. In that way, you can have your small portion, but you get to eat again in 2 hours.

Find an exercise you enjoy and want to do often. Once you increase your calories burned, you can increase your calories consumed.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you think of it as a diet, you'll fail. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to make small but important changes that will be how you eat forever. Control portions of main dish items, eat extra veggies, and try to eat more whole grain foods.. Move more. You don't have to run or bike or get a gym membership. You just need to move more everyday. Move more today than you did yesterday. 10,000 a day is recommended by the national health organizations for a healthy lifestyle.

Now for the secret- once you change your food habits, it becomes much easier! You know what you can eat and how much you can eat to stay under your goals. And the big surprise for me (a huge exercise HATER), the more I move, the more I want to move. I need to move! Seriously that is crazy to even imagine thinking that before, when at 340 pounds I tried so hard NOT to move. How can I avoid stairs? How can I make fewer trips? Not anymore! Now, I go out of my way to get more steps, at least 60, 000 a week. And I've not felt this good in more than a decade.

We all have our struggles, regardless of how much we have to lose and our current fitness levels. You just have to set goals that you can live with and you have to make it worthwhile for you.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you only have 20 lb. to lose, set your goal to .5 lb. per week. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Smaller bowls and plates - a small portion in a large bowl or on a plate makes you feel like you have not eaten anything. Taste your food - don't just eat it - slowing down your eating rate and bringing awareness to flavours you have not noticed before (different flavours "unlock" as you chew). Your body starts to learn what a full portion is over time - drinking some water before the meal and increasing vegetable / salad ratio helps maintain some bulk while controlling the calories. Exercise helps support your weight fluctuations from day to day but food is the lions share of weight loss.

Get out of your head that you are on a diet and that a diet is a noun - not a verb. A diet is the collection of foods that you eat - for a cow this is mostly grass, a lion - wilder-beast, Pandas bamboo etc...