MFP vs Machine.

Options
So I've been doing the elliptical during the week for 50 mintues at a time. The machine says I've been burning 600 calories whereas MFP says I've been burning 800+ calories. Should I trust the machine or MFP? Or just take whatever is down the middle? Also, because I've been burning these calories, I haven't felt too bad going over my calories by 100- 120... but how much will that hurt in the long run?

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Both the cals burnt on machines & MFP tend to over estimate. People who eat back their cals generally tend to eat a percentage. 100-200 cals wouldnt hurt your loss per say. Best thing to do is invest in an HRM for an accurate burn if thats worrying you.

I have my cals burnt set to 1 & eat at a higher daily allowance than MFP set for me. I figure that was it doesnt matter if the estimated burns are out of whack. But thats my personal preference.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor if it's a concern. Machines and MFP are not accurate representations of your calorie burn.

I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out, and the machines can vary from overestimating my burn, to completely exaggerating it.