Eating bad foods vs calorie goals

Options
Hi I've been on MFP since july 2013. Ive been going to the gym since 4/9/2013. So far I have lost 72 lbs. I work out at least 4-6 times a week for at least 40 minutes. I went from 364 to 292 lbs. My goal was to lose 100lbs by 4/9/2014. I don't think I will make it. I have cut out sodas and juices. I only drink water, green tea and the occasional wylers light pink lemonade singles no calories. Some people say you can lose weight by eating whatever you want ex.fried foods, cakes ice cream etc and lose weight as long as you stay in your calorie goals. How true is this? I get disappointed because I feel I should have lost much more weight by now. If you look at my diary, 90 percent of the time I stay within my calorie count but eat terrible foods. Who has lost weight just by staying within the calorie count but continue to eat not so well?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    At this point you have a fair amount of calories to work with so it's easier to fit the higher calorie foods into your daily goal but as time and your weight loss move forward your calorie goal will decrease it will become harder to fit those types of food in. I know as long as there is a deficit you will lose weight - but in order to be able to eat enough volume to keep yourself satified, I would start to introduce healthier lower calorie options so that later when those high calorie foods don't fit into your goals it will be easier. That being said you should still allow yourself to have the foods you enjoy - you have lost a lot of weight doing this already - great work btw - but it will get harder when you have fewer calories to work with.

Also you can increase your exercise so that you still have the calories to enjoy the foods you like.

Planning and moderation. Good luck! You set your sights on a goal and you know what needs to be done. :drinker:
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating whatever I wanted so long as my calories added up by the end of the day.

These days I'm watching my macros more closely as I'm making sure I get 100-125g of protein a day, but otherwise filling the rest of my day with whatever I feel like eating.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not the goal. Well being and healthy living is.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that the people that say that only calories matter sort of boggle my mind. Is all exercise the same? Is calorie burn the only thing that matters in how your body reacts? Does weight lifting and running do the same thing to the body so long as their calorie burn is the same? Of course not. So, why would caloric value be the only that matters?

The amount of calories is certainly important but so is the content of the calories. Otherwise, fat, protein and carb levels wouldn't matter, and yet they do for many people. For example, if you're looking to maintain LBM or minimize LBM loss in a caloric deficit, a certain threshold of protein helps that. If you get that amount, you're more likely to minimize LBM loss or maintain LBM while in a deficit.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    1500 calories?

You should be losing weight eating ~3000+

Is this a doctor prescribed VLCD?

ETA:
    I punched in your approximated stats and MFP gave me around ~2500 and MFP underestimates... You're probably eating below your BMR.
  • prestonam
    prestonam Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Stop eating Bad food- nutrients are so lacking in your diet. I tink it's horrible that people tink they can just eat **** & get skinny. Your poor body is starved of all its vitamins & minerals. I'm not trying to be mean. I used to be the same thinking calories were the be all & end all. It's not true. The closer you get to your goal the harder it's going to get. You shud be eating mainly water rich vegetables, protein & good carbs like sweet potato & beans.

Congrats on your weight loss it's amazing. :-) But please think about the bigger picture your fat percentage is more important when you get closer to your goal weight. You will want to get fitter too so start making HEALTHY changes now. Then you will start to lose weight at a good rate & also will be losing fat (the important thing here).

Ignore all the people who say they lose loads of weight eating chips, chocolate & fizzy drinks once they stay under their calorie goal. They will gain it ALL BACK & more probably when they get smaller because ur calorie goals decrease.

Get ahead of the game now & you will continue to lose weight & be healthy.

Good Luck on your journey. I know it's easy to just focus on calories but really nutrients are way more important in the short & long term.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress. You've done great with that much loss so far. Looking at your diary I saw a couple of things worth commenting on. You seem to like fried chicken wings. Can you swap the fried stuff out with another method like baking/grilling? I also see a lot of sodium on some days. At our age, high sodium intake and being overweight helps crank up our blood pressure and put excess stress on our heart. Try to end the day at a lower number on that macro.

As far as eating whatever you want, my opinion is "garbage in = garbage out". You want your body pinging on all cylinders then you eat as such. You want to dump a lot of food into your system that your body has to work extra hard to process and leaves you feeling run down and listless, then you eat as such. And sure, don't say goodbye forever to the fried stuff, just moderate it. Have a once a week break from the plan if you want. Just do so with portion moderation and your end goal still in mind.

Young folks can say "I eat whatever I want and lose weight" because a lot of them can. I used to be the same way, then I got older and lost that magic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    On looking at your diary, you have some pretty patchy logging. You have missed days, partially logged days and a lot of quick adds and/or incorrect entries (where the macros are wrong). You also have quite a few generic entries that can be way off.

If you do not use a digital food scale - start. Log all your food, weigh where possible. Be consistent. Your protein is very low also.

Re your question - you can eat what you want and lose weight as long as you are at a deficit. However, there are a few issues with this,including:

- satiety can be an issue
    - lack of micronutrients and fiber can impact energy and health
    - low protein, as noted
    - often people with a lot of weight to lose are insulin resistant - higher carbs may impact energy out, meaning you have a smaller deficit than you would say with more protein and less carbs.
  • sexxy_dee
    sexxy_dee Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate what you are saying. It makes a lot of sense. I will definitely try to log better.
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Thank you so much. After hearing people say you can eat whatever you want, I just sort of fell into that trend. What you are saying is what I needed to hear. I will make the change. Im not only trying to lose weight, I want to be healthier as well.
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Stop eating Bad food- nutrients are so lacking in your diet. I tink it's horrible that people tink they can just eat **** & get skinny. Your poor body is starved of all its vitamins & minerals. I'm not trying to be mean. I used to be the same thinking calories were the be all & end all. It's not true. The closer you get to your goal the harder it's going to get. You shud be eating mainly water rich vegetables, protein & good carbs like sweet potato & beans.

Congrats on your weight loss it's amazing. :-) But please think about the bigger picture your fat percentage is more important when you get closer to your goal weight. You will want to get fitter too so start making HEALTHY changes now. Then you will start to lose weight at a good rate & also will be losing fat (the important thing here).

Ignore all the people who say they lose loads of weight eating chips, chocolate & fizzy drinks once they stay under their calorie goal. They will gain it ALL BACK & more probably when they get smaller because ur calorie goals decrease.

Good Luck on your journey. I know it's easy to just focus on calories but really nutrients are way more important in the short & long term.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    On looking at your diary, you have some pretty patchy logging. You have missed days, partially logged days and a lot of quick adds and/or incorrect entries (where the macros are wrong). You also have quite a few generic entries that can be way off.

If you do not use a digital food scale - start. Log all your food, weigh where possible. Be consistent. Your protein is very low also.

Re your question - you can eat what you want and lose weight as long as you are at a deficit. However, there are a few issues with this,including:

- low protein, as noted
    - often people with a lot of weight to lose are insulin resistant - higher carbs may impact energy out, meaning you have a smaller deficit than you would say with more protein and less carbs.

This is really great advice.
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    I think at the beginning of your journey, all the changes you have to make can be overwhelming and I know that's where I've failed in the past. This time I'm taking little steps. I try to stay within my deficit and will allow myself a little bad-food-break here and there so long as it stays within my deficit.

You've already come so far! Congratulations on your progress! You have the idea of eating at a deficit conquered, now you can focus on other goals like eating healthier or getting fit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: x1000

Really??? I see lots of people here who have hit their goals of weight/BF and maintained for a long time and have gone as far as "bulking" and losing again for muscle gains...

The above quote is just so wrong on so many levels.

ETA: eat your treats, there is nothing wrong with that...that doesn't mean you aren't being healthy...I eat my treats lots, eat out, fast food, sodas, chocolate and I am healthy, watch my macros but I don't demonize food either...
  • sexxy_dee
    Options
    Thank you so much. I really needed to hear this. I not only want to lose weight, I want to be healthier as well. I will make the change. I have made consistent exercise a part of my life, I will now make healthier food choices as well. Thanks again. You are not being mean, just honest. I need that.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

- low protein, as noted

This is really great advice.

Agreed...
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. After hearing people say you can eat whatever you want, I just sort of fell into that trend. What you are saying is what I needed to hear. I will make the change. Im not only trying to lose weight, I want to be healthier as well.
    That's what they want. I'm not entirely convinced that all of those people are just random people trying to lose weight. If the food industry were to have paid trolls here, "eat whatever you want" would be exactly their message. (And why wouldn't they? They pay to lie to you in print, they pay to lie to you on TV, they pay to lie to you on the radio, why wouldn't they pay to lie to you on the internet?)

Anyway, it seems like you already know what to do. I never lost weight when i was trying to lose weight, but when i decided to gain health, the weight starting falling off. Fruits and vegetables are the way to health; no other food has such a significant load of micro-nutrients.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    That's what they want. I'm not entirely convinced that all of those people are just random people trying to lose weight. If the food industry were to have paid trolls here, "eat whatever you want" would be exactly their message. (And why wouldn't they? They pay to lie to you in print, they pay to lie to you on TV, they pay to lie to you on the radio, why wouldn't they pay to lie to you on the internet?)

Anyway, it seems like you already know what to do. I never lost weight when i was trying to lose weight, but when i decided to gain health, the weight starting falling off. Fruits and vegetables are the way to health; no other food has such a significant load of micro-nutrients.

time for the tin foil hat...:laugh:

The message gets lost in translation

I don't remember seeing anyone saying "eat whatever you want"...I see people saying you don't have to give up treats like chocolate, ice cream etc...what is said is eat in a deficet and fit in the foods you love while in that deficet.

While you were trying to lose weigh you weren't in a deficet you are now...congrats..

But we all know it's not because of the types of foods you eat it's because you are in a deficet now.

As always it's not the types of foods you eat it is how much you eat...

OP the rule of thumb is hit your macros (get in enough protien/fats and carbs fall where they may), ensure you are getting in your vitamins and minerals needed but don't give up foods you love/want just eat smaller portions of them as long as they fit in your goals..

If you love chocolate are you gonna give it up forever??? probably not so why do it now?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

LOL. Am I reading this right? If only I were paid for posting here. I'd buy me a new bikini....and maybe a cupcake.
  • ToraChan2310
    Options
    Why eat bad foods when you can eat good ones? They are called "bad" foods for a reason.