Should I run today?

Options
Hey everyone. Just recently started a diet and exercise routine a few days ago, and I've been exercising daily. My goal was to work out, or at least walk/run, 7 days a week.

Before this I led a relatively sedentary lifestyle, and I'm a moderately overweight 23 year old.

My question is, despite my rotation of focusing on different muscle groups, my whole body is sore now... Should I push myself anyways to stay active, or take a day off and just reduce calorie intake? Maybe some lean protein to repair my muscle tissue? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Don't take a day off because you are sore. Do make sure you take a rest day once a week or every other week. Muscles need a chance to rest and recoup.
  • R3n1gm4
    R3n1gm4 Posts: 3
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the advice!

:)
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    you're sore because you are using muscles that aren't used to it. I wouldn't take a day off because i was sore (I might soak in a hot bath though). Rotating the type of exercise and the muscle groups it hits can be as good as a day of rest as well. so working on upper body and giving your legs a break for a day and doing the opposite the next day has achieved the same effect as a day off (once you are fitter and running then a day off from running maybe with a light walk is a day off for that muscle group)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Success with both physical training and weight loss involves proper rest and recovery. You need to let your body heal. Reset that goal to work out 6 days per week instead of 7.

If you absolutely cannot take a full rest day, at least do active rest - meaning something that's much more low key than your usual training. Instead of running, go for a nice leisurely walk instead. And follow that up with a good stretch to help with that muscle recovery and soreness.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Success with both physical training and weight loss involves proper rest and recovery. You need to let your body heal. Reset that goal to work out 6 days per week instead of 7.

If you absolutely cannot take a full rest day, at least do active rest - meaning something that's much more low key than your usual training. Instead of running, go for a nice leisurely walk instead. And follow that up with a good stretch to help with that muscle recovery and soreness.

+1
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to say.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't take a day off because you are sore. Do make sure you take a rest day once a week or every other week. Muscles need a chance to rest and recoup.

I would edit that to recovery rather than rest. Recovery can be active, just low impact & lower intensity. If, for example, you alternate days running and walking you could do this 7 days a week / 365 days a year as the walking is active recovery from the running. Monitor yourself for signs of fatigue and if you start feeling run down feel free to take the occasional rest day but we evolved to be physically active...if you've been sedentary for a while it is perfectly normal to feel a little sore but you may be surprised to know that keeping moving will actually make you feel better.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with MinniInMaine also. It is hard for me to take a day off but if I do, I try to do a more leisurely activity.
  • merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Muscles become sore when you workout/run and build up lactic acid within the muscle. Total rest will only make the muscles hurt more in my experience.

What you really need is a recovery shake that has Amino Acids in them. These help to remove the lactic acid buildup and the next day you won't be sore. GET ONE! Trust me. Before I would run one day and have to take two days off because my muscles were killing me. Now I can run/jog every day with no sore muscles.

Walmart has them but make sure they say they have Amino Acids in them typically they will have a breakdown on how many. I think mine has about 6 or so I can't remember right now. They are the (not) secret to my success.

Obviously if you think you are injured take some time off and ice/heat it as appropriate but otherwise a good recovery shake will take care of the rest!

I believe my Walmart recovery shake is called Pure Protein Whey Powder in a white canister. Look for them with the protein shakes but it HAS to say it has Amino Acids in it.. that's the key.

Good luck. And the answer is ALWAYS RUN!
  • merlewalton
    Options
    Oh and make sure you stretch properly before you exercise. It prepares your cardiovascular system for working out and it gets your heart pumping a little faster.

Did I mention the recovery shake needs to have Amino Acids in them? Just making sure :)
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You're 23. You don't need a day off if you're just muscle sore. The way to get changes the fastest is do something everyday.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    All protein is made of chains of amino acids so don't worry about getting any special kind. The only single amino acid that may help out more with recovery than others is glutamine because it can be used to restore Krebs cycle intermediates and help metabolize the accumulated lactic acid.

That being said, I definitely agree with "active rest." Say if your legs are sore, just lift upper body and/or get on the elliptical or stationary bike and get them moving in order to deliver fresh blood and flush out the lactic acid. Stretching is also a good idea but I would do this after some form of light cardio as stretching when you're "cold" can actually make things worse or risk muscle injury.
  • merlewalton
    Options
    Partially my bad on that... apparently I was sleeping through the protein lessons in college Bio. (ok I wasn't sleeping but)

Yes they have amino acids that are in proteins but they have other ones listed out on them.

All I know is that someone told me about recovery shakes, I bought this one, and it worked like a dream.

http://www.pureprotein.net/pages/products.aspx?sku=050491

I use it after every workout. Light ones I use 1/2 a scoop in skim milk. Heavy workouts I use 1 scoop in skim milk. Mixes horribly but I don't care.

Also it has about 18 Amino Acids listed out on it not 6.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

I would edit that to recovery rather than rest. Recovery can be active, just low impact & lower intensity. If, for example, you alternate days running and walking you could do this 7 days a week / 365 days a year as the walking is active recovery from the running. Monitor yourself for signs of fatigue and if you start feeling run down feel free to take the occasional rest day but we evolved to be physically active...if you've been sedentary for a while it is perfectly normal to feel a little sore but you may be surprised to know that keeping moving will actually make you feel better.

Truth, I will still walk and line dance on my "rest days" I am just not running or lifting like my normal exercise routine. However, I usually will about 1x a month take a totally lazy day where I don't do anything above and boyond normal daily function. Seems to be good for me every now and then.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Just recently started a diet and exercise routine a few days ago, and I've been exercising daily. My goal was to work out, or at least walk/run, 7 days a week.

Before this I led a relatively sedentary lifestyle, and I'm a moderately overweight 23 year old.

My question is, despite my rotation of focusing on different muscle groups, my whole body is sore now... Should I push myself anyways to stay active, or take a day off and just reduce calorie intake? Maybe some lean protein to repair my muscle tissue? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Ryan

Take a rest/recovery day. That doesn't mean being still. Go for a long walk instead or ride a bike. Move without actively exercising.Your body needs a rest day once or twice a week.
  • R3n1gm4
    R3n1gm4 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice, it's been beyond helpful. I feel I can take a little from each of these posts. I chose to walk today so I could still get some light cardio... But I have been stretching beforehand and not after, maybe I'll do both.

The shakes sound like a good idea, definitely feeling the burn mostly in the shin area (didn't know I had muscles there, lol). Hopefully the aminos can help clear out the lactic acid build-up.

But indeed my body is just getting used to being in motion, and not on a couch. I expected to not feel wonderful after working out a few days, but I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't do any damage by staying active through the soreness. I think the 'active rest' days are just what I need.

Thanks again to everyone. :)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Stretching AFTER is imperative. I used to think I was sore after running due to my age. When I learned about lactic acid and made the decision to always stretch after running, I was never sore again. Sooooo important.
  • merlewalton
    Options
    Stretching AFTER is imperative. I used to think I was sore after running due to my age. When I learned about lactic acid and made the decision to always stretch after running, I was never sore again. Sooooo important.

Definitely before and after.

Not only that but I had shin splints for a while. I was going to a chiropractor at the time because of my lower back and she gave me a really good stretch for my shins. She explained that sometimes the muscle in the back of your leg, when tight, can pull on your leg wrong and hurt your shins.

She had me put my toe (use shoes) on a low wall with your foot kind of arched and your heel on the floor and lean forward over the wall until you feel a good stretch on that muscle. She told me to do that every time I run before and after to stretch out that muscle.

Also I had a guy that runs marathon that I talked to at my first 5k last year tell me that he has found that if your looking forward and you can see your feet extend into your field of vision (bottom peripherals maybe) you may be extending your legs too far and that can cause shin splints. I don't know the truth to that but I take that advice when I run.

Good luck.