Do you believe in food addiction?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I know some people think that you cannot be addicted to food because it is essential for survival and not something you can quit , but I 100% believe that sugary, fatty, and salty junk foods are addictive.
    What do you think?

Food addiction is a legitimate addiction. Some people who lack an understanding of addiction and psychological disorders will say it isn't, but that's simply due to a lack of knowledge on their part, and choosing to not be educated on it. Essentially, they're the creationists of this forum.

It's often treated either directly as food addiction, or as a behavioral issue.

You can read more about it in the DSM 5, and here is a little tidbit.
    http://www.dsm5.org/documents/eating disorders fact sheet.pdf
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Nope. "Food Addiction" is not included in any type of diagnostic material. There are other diagnosis that capture issues with food, but food addiction (or sugar addiction) is not one of them. Studies have been performed on the concept, but the findings have not been significant enough to include in diagnostic material.

Feeding and Eating Disorders
    The chapter on Feeding and Eating Disorders in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) includes several changes to better represent the symptoms and behaviors of patients dealing with these conditions across the lifespan. Among the most substantial changes are recognition of binge eating disorder, revisions to the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, and inclusion of pica, rumination and avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder. DSM-IV listed the latter three among Disorders Usually First Diagnosed in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence, a chapter that will not exist in DSM-5. In recent years, clinicians and researchers have realized that a significant number of individuals with eating disorders did not fit into the DSM-IV categories of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. By default, many received a diagnosis of “eating disorder not otherwise specified.” Studies have suggested that a significant portion of individuals in that “not otherwise specified” category may actually have binge eating disorder.

Binge Eating Disorder
    Binge eating disorder was approved for inclusion in DSM-5 as its own category of eating disorder. In DSM-IV, binge-eating disorder was not recognized as a disorder but rather described in Appendix B: Criteria Sets and Axes Provided for Further Study and was diagnosable using only the catch-all category of “eating disorder not otherwise specified.” Binge eating disorder is defined as recurring episodes of eating significantly more food in a short period of time than most people would eat under similar circumstances, with episodes marked by feelings of lack of control. Someone with binge eating disorder may eat too quickly, even when he or she is not hungry. The person may have feelings of guilt, embarrassment, or disgust and may binge eat alone to hide the behavior. This disorder is associated with marked distress and occurs, on average, at least once a week over three months. This change is intended to increase awareness of the substantial differences between binge eating disorder and the common phenomenon of overeating. While overeating is a challenge for many Americans, recurrent binge eating is much less common, far more severe, and is associated with significant physical and psychological problems.

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Eating Disorders Fact Sheet.pdf

Feeding and Eating Disorders
    In DSM-5, the feeding and eating disorders include several disorders included in DSM-IV as feeding and eating disorders of infancy or early childhood in the chapter “Disorders Usually First Diagnosed in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence.” In addition, brief descriptions and preliminary diagnostic criteria are provided for several conditions under other specified feeding and eating disorder; insufficient information about these conditions is currently available to document their clinical characteristics and validity or to provide definitive diagnostic criteria.

Binge-Eating Disorder
    Extensive research followed the promulgation of preliminary criteria for binge eating disorder in Appendix B of DSM-IV, and findings supported the clinical utility and validity of binge-eating disorder. The only significant difference from the preliminary DSM-IV criteria is that the minimum average frequency of binge eating required for diagnosis has been changed from at least twice weekly for 6 months to at least once weekly over the last 3 months, which is identical to the DSM-5 frequency criterion for bulimia nervosa.

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes from dsm-iv-tr to dsm-5.pdf

On another note, treatment for true addictions can be done in multiple ways and should be tailored to the individual. For example, one approach maybe AA/NA (abstinence) and another may include harm reduction.

edit spacing
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe that you can have a food addiction.

I have been abused by people who say that it's will power. I used to be one of them (and I kind of still am.) But sometimes it's a matter of while I am saying no, while I am fighting it I'm getting into whatever it is that I'm resisting and before I know it I've eaten it. And often so fast like I'm trying to sneak it by myself. And then all that's left is to cry.

I've never understood the "it's just a lack of willpower" reasoning for saying food can't be addictive. What addiction is overcome by anything other than willpower or force?

Well, for something like a food addiction, will power IS all it takes. Simple, but not easy. It's not like you can completely cut it out of your life like alcohol or hard drugs. Sure, will power is required to quit something like alcohol or drugs, but in some cases, a detox process in a rehab unit is required.

In some cases surgery is required to break a food addiction.

I assume you mean gastric bypass?

That's true in some respect. I admit I don't know a lot about how that works psychologically, but I have seen stories where people get surgery, end up losing weight, and then turn to another substance because they didn't address the issues that caused the addiction in the first place.

I think weight loss surgery is an interesting concept. Food addiction and becoming morbidly obese have little to do with being hungry, and yet some people have surgery to make their stomach smaller to give them a "full" feeling on little food.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Interesting link. It concludes that food addiction could exist as a type of behavioral addiction.

I'm inclined to believe that all addictions, at their root, are behavioral addictions. Yes, there are substances which create a chemical dependency (alcohol, hard drugs, nicotine, etc...) and the severity of that dependency varies wildly from person to person- but that chemical dependency did not predate the addiction. The chemical dependency comes from repeated use. So it seems to me, the root of these 'addictions' comes from *why* there is a repeated, uncontrolled use. It is the uncontrolled factor that separates the addict from the non-addict.

Suejoker explained it quite well- her addiction to substances was, in essence, replaced by food. Ergo, there is an underlying issue at hand. Granted, it's anecdotal evidence, but I know many people like this. And they combat this difficulty in different ways, with varying degrees of success.

I completely agree that almost all addictions are behavioral at their root. Most people greatly overestimate the physical/chemical dependency side of addiction (probably due to watching too many after school specials as kids).

It's really not that hard to get detoxed from drugs or alcohol. But curing addiction is a lot harder than just detoxing someone.
  • poofymom2
    poofymom2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe in food addiction! That's what i've been saying for a couple of years now until I finally got help. I feel like a lot of people don't want to use that terminology but I really do think that is exactly how we should be referring to our endless crusade of dieting. I hope you have found a way to deal with your addiction because as soon as I started saying it out loud and actually coming to terms with it, thats when I finaly felt free and able to move forward in a lot of areas of my life. Don't feel ashamed or embarased in any way. Take care. xoxox
  • dbmata
    Options
    I came to watch the creationists, and I've been amused. This thread delivers.
  • ckasap
    ckasap Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes. There have been studies that showed the brain lit up in the same way for an addict getting a fix or a person eating something sweet. I believe over-eating and food addiction is part of a larger eating disorder but still addictive.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I know some people think that you cannot be addicted to food because it is essential for survival and not something you can quit , but I 100% believe that sugary, fatty, and salty junk foods are addictive.
    What do you think?

Food addiction is a legitimate addiction. Some people who lack an understanding of addiction and psychological disorders will say it isn't, but that's simply due to a lack of knowledge on their part, and choosing to not be educated on it. Essentially, they're the creationists of this forum.

Well I don't actually care about the food addiction - is it or is it not - seems like a a classic MFP forum battle of semantics, that said...

What in that "tidbit" even refers to food addiction? I don't think anyone is saying eating disorders don't exist and that is all your "tidbit" seems to talk about.
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Food hits your pleasure centers just like drugs, acohol and sex so yes food addiction is very real. That is why most people have problems with emtional eating
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    There was a long thread arguing sugar as addictive the other day. Because peer reviewed studies show Sugar triggers the same dopamine and other receptors in our brains the same way as heroin nicotine cocaine etc i would tend to agree it can be classed as addictive. Since you cannot eliminate sugars from your diet (there are loads of naturally occurring ones. it really means i guess you can become addicted to the instant hit of processed sugars like say a huge bottle of pop or 12 a day
    I've known some people who were definitely addicted to processed sugars for the hit (one was a 400 pound junkie now dead who I've seen go through 16 liters of pepsi and 4 cakes in a sitting when coming down
    but overall no I don't think food per se can be classed addictive unless you lose a very loose definition of addictions

having had an addiction I should point out that it is very different than having a behavioral habit like sitting and eating from boredom etc. Physical addictions have real withdrawal symptoms and the actual withdrawal is usually not that long (72 hours for many) after that it's a behavioral thing (learning how to live without the habits tied to the addiction - so for food learning how to eat properly for instance) Also not all people are as easily addicted to things, Smoking as an example i had a hell of a time quitting and finally did after 40 years, my wife could take it or leave it at any point and never got addicted. our brains are just wired differently, my history tells me I'm hard wired for addictions so I have to be aware of it (I quit drinking because it was getting into the danger zone, i know in that case i will drink again it was time to break from it so i could get back to moderation and control of it - i like a glass of wine or a good cocktail too much to say never again - i needed to say not so many and none for a while 12 weeks now )

Well said.
  • dbmata
    Options
    What do you think?

Well I don't actually care about the food addiction - is it or is it not - seems like a a classic MFP forum battle of semantics, that said...

What in that "tidbit" even refers to food addiction? I don't think anyone is saying eating disorders don't exist and that is all your "tidbit" seems to talk about.

That just means you willfully chose to not understand. Like the saying goes, you can lead a goat to water, but you can't make it into a mermaid.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Food hits your pleasure centers just like drugs, acohol and sex so yes food addiction is very real. That is why most people have problems with emtional eating

It's not an addiction though. It is behavioral. It is not classified as an addiction, and despite what people here are saying there are no studies or evidence that proves it is an addiction, otherwise the medical communities would accept it as such. For now, they say it is not an addiction.

and the earth was made in 7 days.

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I have been abused by people who say that it's will power. I used to be one of them (and I kind of still am.) But sometimes it's a matter of while I am saying no, while I am fighting it I'm getting into whatever it is that I'm resisting and before I know it I've eaten it. And often so fast like I'm trying to sneak it by myself. And then all that's left is to cry.

I've never understood the "it's just a lack of willpower" reasoning for saying food can't be addictive. What addiction is overcome by anything other than willpower or force?

Well, for something like a food addiction, will power IS all it takes. Simple, but not easy. It's not like you can completely cut it out of your life like alcohol or hard drugs. Sure, will power is required to quit something like alcohol or drugs, but in some cases, a detox process in a rehab unit is required.

That's true in some respect. I admit I don't know a lot about how that works psychologically, but I have seen stories where people get surgery, end up losing weight, and then turn to another substance because they didn't address the issues that caused the addiction in the first place.

Yes, bypass, band, sleeve. Wouldn't this (turning to another addictive substance when food is denied) suggest that the same drive or want that leads to substance abuse leads to food abuse.

It's all about the high.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    yes, I ate some chocolate cake (at my gym, can you believe that? they always have food around). Oh I got such a high, it was wonderful. I had a hard time leaving not eating another piece. Why would we just keep on doing destructive stuff to ourself when we know it is bad for us? It is just like cocaine or alcohol to an alcoholic Feels so good and then the consequences. It would have been hard not to have eaten at least half that cake if it had been at home. My daughter drinks and drinks and drinks and it does it for her like she cant stop and I do the same with food, such a high for me and it nauseates her to eat too much, not me, the more the better.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I dont think its physically addictive when compared to street or pharmacutical drugs, but I believe if you have one it will cause cravings for more and some of us are more succeptable to those cravings than others. In the medically term No I dont think they are physically addicting. But emotionally and mentally, absolutely. I know from personal experience I cannot have just one cookie or one chip.

I agree. I see it as the difference between a disease and a dis-ease. You can have the cravings but I don't think you can be addicted. When you have a dis-ease and you are looking to fill some sort of hole in your life it's easy to turn food for comfort.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Yes, bypass, band, sleeve. Wouldn't this (turning to another addictive substance when food is denied) suggest that the same drive or want that leads to substance abuse leads to food abuse.

It's all about the high.

I concede that eating yourself to a morbidly obese state is just as self-destructive as withdrawing your life savings to buy drugs. I guess the only thing up for debate is what makes an addiction. Is it the addictive personality or the substance?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    define addictive. depending on how you define it, anything can be addictive

psychological addiction - when someone feels they can't live without something, they can't cope when they don't have it, they get strong cravings for it.... this kind of addiction can happen with pretty much anything, including specific foods.

physiological addiction/dependence - where there are physiological withdrawal symptoms (i.e. they become physically ill, sometimes severely) such as you get from quitting alcohol or heroin cold turkey (in fact the term cold turkey originally was used to describe the withdrawal symptoms from heroin). Not all drugs produce an actually physiological dependence like this. these symptoms still occur even when there's no psychological addiction present, and it's why some medications you have to come off them slowly and under medical supervision. Food does not cause this.
    Your second definition is the definition of dependance, not addiction. Incidentally, neither cocaine nor methamphetamine cause physical dependance.

Your first definition is the definition of obsession, not addiction. I don't consider myself to have been addicted to any of my exes but your definition would allow it.

Here's the clinical definition of addiction (bolding mine):
    Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.
    It is a neurological disease characterized by a long-term alteration in reward-related brain patterns. This alteration can be caused by specific substances or by some behaviours.

Compulsive gambling is medically considered an addiction because such long-term alterations have been observed and a direct causal link has been established.

Clinical trials have observed such long-term alterations in obese people and self-described food addicts, but no causal link has yet been established (AFAIK), which is why there are conjectures but no established consensus.

Animal trials have observed abnormal behaviour and brain pattern alterations with respect to specific foods (sugar), but no human trials have been made yet.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    yes, I ate some chocolate cake (at my gym, can you believe that? they always have food around). Oh I got such a high, it was wonderful. I had a hard time leaving not eating another piece. Why would we just keep on doing destructive stuff to ourself when we know it is bad for us? It is just like cocaine or alcohol to an alcoholic Feels so good and then the consequences. It would have been hard not to have eaten at least half that cake if it had been at home. My daughter drinks and drinks and drinks and it does it for her like she cant stop and I do the same with food, such a high for me and it nauseates her to eat too much, not me, the more the better.

See, this is where I draw a line. There is a difference between "This food is really tasty, I'd like to have more," and "I must eat everything in sight and no food in my kitchen will escape untouched."

I'm just using the above post as an example, as I do not know her history with food or anything like that. But does anything think the severity of a problem either qualifies or disqualifies it as an addiction?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

It's not an addiction though. It is behavioral. It is not classified as an addiction, and despite what people here are saying there are no studies or evidence that proves it is an addiction, otherwise the medical communities would accept it as such. For now, they say it is not an addiction.

and the earth was made in 7 days.

:laugh:

Just stop.