Upcoming surgery

Options
So, if you had surgery scheduled for 3pm in the afternoon and were told you couldn't eat or drink anything 8 hours prior to it, what would you eat? I'm wondering if it is smart to eat a massive meal between 6-7am in addition to chugging down as much water as possible, or is there a smarter approach? I tend to eat every 2 hours as my blood sugar drops if I don't and I get woozy, and I am ALWAYS thirsty--so I think I'm more concerned about thirst driving me coo-coo than anything else. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Replies

• 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I would eat a small meal between 6 and 7. Plan to just lay around all day so being woozy won't be a big problem.
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would be anxious for the surgery and probably wouldn't even think about eating. :tongue: But if I did I would probably make a simple protein shake, I would want that stomach empty for surgery.
  • MindMelter
    MindMelter Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A protein shake sounds like a good idea. I'm not worried about the surgery--just getting through my day without obsessing about eating and drinking! :) Laying around will only make it worse for me--and kind of impossible at the same time as I need to work for a few hours.
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had surgery a week ago exactly and mine was also at 3 pm. I had to be there at 1:30 pm and I was able to survive on only a sip of water. I ate my last bit of something at 11 pm and went to bed at midnight. My thought was that I would sleep late-but I was too nervous to sleep very well.

I was told to not eat or drink anything after midnight, even though my surgery was till afternoon. I took 3 sips of water with my meds. The best thing I could tell you is to keep yourself distracted and if you need to hydrate, then do. If you absolutely need something then a protein smoothie would be a good bet-drink it very slowly though
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I also recently had an afternoon surgery and was told I could eat liquids (jello, basically) until 8am that morning. I had been on a liquid diet since the previous day and my stomach was so full from the liquid I wanted nothing.

However, the night before the liquid diet I did eat a bowl of oatmeal late... I don't know if it helped but when I woke up in the morning I wasn't hungry for a little while and was able to get in a quick run