Women and weightlifting

Options
So, obviously, I'm a woman, and I really want to look like those hot girls with the muscled arms and abs, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it? I've started lifting in my gym, but I'm not sure if I need to focus on cardio first, and THEN do the weightlifting, as I've read that women need to cut their body fat down really low in order to do this? The other thing is, I'm a vegan, and I know I need protein in order to build muscle. Should I go get protein powder? (What's in that stuff anyway?) Is there another supplement I should be using as a woman? How different are men's and women's bodies as far as building muscle?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights 3x a week.

The abs of those woman are due to lower BF% which is all about your calories....

Weight lifting and adequate protien helps maintain your muscle mass while you are losing fat through a calorie deficet.

you wont build muscle at a calorie deficet...you need a surplus for that

To get in protien as a vegan I can't comment on...I eat meat so.

Protien powders are not made specifically for men or woman just find one with a good protien ration 1g of protien for every 10 calories (or so I've been told)

Men and women are different when it comes to building muscle because men have that pesky testosterone in large amounts...us not so much.

It takes a lot for a woman to get "big" muscles and it usually involves steroids...we as woman can build muscle but it is a slow process.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Finding vegan protein powders are hard but I have heard of SunWarrior, but I do not know anything about the taste/ price comparison to non-vegan powders. (Usually protein powder has milk and/or milk by-products) But for protein, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, soy/ almond milk, and basically any bean are all good protein sources. A main reason why I ( and presumably others) like protein shakes is that they are easy, cold, sweet and are sort of like a milkshake. A "job well done" sort of treat. A protein shake with soy or almond milk, vegan powder, peanut or pumpkin butter, and a banana would be tasty and have lots of protein, but the fat and calories can get out of hand somewhat easily with those. But a salad with quinoa and pumpkin or sunflower seeds would be a pretty good protein meal, although obviously not nearly as easy/ quick as just throwing some stuff in a blender real quick.

As for what to do first, I suggest doing both. If you only lift, you probably wont lose much fat/ pant sizes, and if you only do cardio, you'll lose, but obviously no gain any real muscle. I'm doing both and from what a lot of others on here have suggested, if you do both, you will have all this lovely muscle under there once you slim down.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

As for what to do first, I suggest doing both. If you only lift, you probably wont lose much fat/ pant sizes, and if you only do cardio, you'll lose, but obviously no gain any real muscle. I'm doing both and from what a lot of others on here have suggested, if you do both, you will have all this lovely muscle under there once you slim down.

fat loss if from a calorie deficet...weight lifting in a deficet means no muscle mass gain.

Cardio does not mean you lose fat...it is cardio for heart and lung health. It also gives you extra calories.

Weight lifting and adequate protien means you are maintaining the muscle you have...and as you lose the fat through a calorie deficet it starts to show.
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had the same thing here. A few weeks ago I started doing the Stronglifts program. It's a weight lifting program, that is easy to commit to (not saying the workouts are easy). You lift weight three times a day. You can find it on Stronglifts.com .

Men and women do it, although more men than women, but I think that's with all weight lifting.

I joined their inner community a few days ago and things are progressing amazingly. I'm already stronger than I was, and even though the scale won't budge, centimeters are. The biggest eye opener for me was that weight lifting with a large deficit is a bad idea. Just today I was directed to
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Where you specifically can indicate to lose fat, but still want to build muscle. It showed me I was eating too little for doing weight lifting. I bumped my calorie goal here up from 1350 to 1700. (Although I won't add extra calories for the workouts itself.)

For Stronglifts you don't do cardio, just weight lifting, three times a week for about 45 minutes. The workouts itself get your heart rate going, though, so cardio is not necessary and especially in the beginning not advised. The website may seem a bit overwhelming and like the holy grail, but to be honest, for me it was.

It offers a nutritional program where it says simply to eat 6 times a day, whole foods, not processed, and limit carb intake to one meal a day. That way you don't have to count (I do it still anyway). I did get some whey / protein powder myself, but only because I often don't feel like eating breakfast, and a protein shake is then very convenient. I try to buy mine with as little ingredients as possible, in the end protein = protein. Although something called L-Creatine or T-Creatine seems to benefit with fat loss. (Seems to....)

Well that's what I can offer, if you have any questions just ask me in a private message. There is a LOT of information on nutrition and weight lifting in the community I'm in.

Of course, you can always lift weights any way you want. This is not THE one method (and I am not hired to advertise it, mainly because the basic plan of doing it, is free), just one method I thought I'd share.
  • kaybee9489
    kaybee9489 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! You absolutely don't need to focus on cardio first! You can start lifting at any point in your journey and the benefits will be endless. Everyone is right when they say that the serious definition is due to diet (abs are made in the kitchen not the gym! 70% diet and 30% workouts) but you will still see a TON of results by adding in lifting!

I generally do a 10 minute cardio workout / my lifting for the day / 15-20 mins of cardio, and then one day a week i do 45 mins of cardio. Focus on interval cardio too (go hard for 30 seconds then moderate for 1:30 ... you're only doing it for 15 minutes so don't be intimidated! it will fly by) I have gotten great results this way... weightlifting will burn fat and the interval training wil demolish it!

Good luck!!
  • 7213Melissa
    7213Melissa Posts: 57 Member
    Options

The biggest eye opener for me was that weight lifting with a large deficit is a bad idea. Just today I was directed to
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Where you specifically can indicate to lose fat, but still want to build muscle. It showed me I was eating too little for doing weight lifting. I bumped my calorie goal here up from 1350 to 1700. (Although I won't add extra calories for the workouts itself.)
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    I went here too. It had my BMR at 1600 & Calories based on goal as over 2000! How can that be right?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    BULK AND CUT :drinker:

I'm a vegan and I'm bulking and usually have no problem hitting 100 grs of protein w/o a protein powder but they're always handy to have around just in case you have a low protein day.

I am currently bulking. I'm eating around 2100 calories a day (500 over my TDEE, I'm petite). My lifting program is All Pro's SBR - I go Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I have about a month to go for my bulk and then I'll be cutting to rid that gained fat and show some definition :happy:

Feel free to add me if you need a vegan lifting buddy!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights 3x a week.

The abs of those woman are due to lower BF% which is all about your calories....

Weight lifting and adequate protien helps maintain your muscle mass while you are losing fat through a calorie deficet.

you wont build muscle at a calorie deficet...you need a surplus for that

To get in protien as a vegan I can't comment on...I eat meat so.

Protien powders are not made specifically for men or woman just find one with a good protien ration 1g of protien for every 10 calories (or so I've been told)

Men and women are different when it comes to building muscle because men have that pesky testosterone in large amounts...us not so much.

It takes a lot for a woman to get "big" muscles and it usually involves steroids...we as woman can build muscle but it is a slow process.

i agree with all of this.

however, while it is true that you will not build muscle while on a calorie deficit, you can and will get STRONGER. this can last for months or even a whole year.

one day you'll find that you haven't gotten stronger for some time, that your squat/dead lift/ bench press/overhead press hasn't increased. at that point you might have to adjust your diet a bit, and also work on assistance lifts to help you in areas where you are lacking.
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As a vegan, there are a lot of protein sources. Don't forget, protein is in everything! It does add up. Plant based protein powders are easy to find in most large grocery stores. They can be soy, hemp or pea based. Amazon has a ton too at good prices.

That said, I'm not certain you have to supplement.

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein-strength.html

And just remember, that the recommendations in that link are for kilograms, not pounds when you calculate. Those recommendations are pretty easy to get on a well done vegan diet.

Good luck!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add, because there's some solid advice here already BUT.... I really applaud this post, OP. Now go forth and lift heavy things!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I went here too. It had my BMR at 1600 & Calories based on goal as over 2000! How can that be right?

If you're relatively tall and relatively active this isn't that farfetched.

My BMR is around 1800 and I eat 1920 calories a day plus about half my exercise calories... which puts me well over 2000 most days. I'm losing a steady lb or so every 9 or 10 days, and I'm pretty sure it's bodyfat because I look like I'm losing 5 lbs a week :laugh: No complaints here.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great programs out there that can help you get to your goals.

Starting Strength and Strong Lifts are both popular and amazing programs.

There is also a boom called New Rules of Lifting for Women. Even if you don't follow the program in it, I thought the book was a good read.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options

If you're relatively tall and relatively active this isn't that farfetched.

My BMR is around 1800 and I eat 1920 calories a day plus about half my exercise calories... which puts me well over 2000 most days. I'm losing a steady lb or so every 9 or 10 days, and I'm pretty sure it's bodyfat because I look like I'm losing 5 lbs a week :laugh: No complaints here.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    See above. (sorry I can't seem to keep the quote & reply together.) Wow! I had no idea. I've been trying to stay at 1200 or 1400.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I hear women say this all the time....drives me crazy.

1966946_652979008100789_1150457417_n.jpg