Dieting and no exercise...?

Options
I have been slooooowly losing weight for the last few months. I almost feel like this is my "Stuck at" weight and it won't budge. Is there a point in dieting that the foods you are eating and the calories you are taking in just doesn't do the trick? I managed to lose 30lbs without really actively working out and just did it through portion control but now I am miserably stuck at my CW and feel like the only answer is the GYM.

When I hit a plateau during my weight loss I adjusted my diet to just proteins/veggies/fruits and that seemed to work - but now I am fearful of carbs and maintaining the same diet hasn't made any difference in the scale anymore. I just feel discouraged right now.

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Depending on your current weight, amount of activity in your day to day lifestyle, and body type, different things will work for you. Eventually, your body will get used to any amount of calories you are giving it and get comfortable there. The only way to lose after a certain point is to use more calories than you consume during a day. Even a 30 minute walk at a moderate pace 5 days a week will help you jump start your weight loss again. You just have to keep changing things on your body or it will quit on you. If you don't like to exercise, there are plenty of non-gym ways to get activity in. You can google "calories burned in 10 minutes" and find lists of things you can do just in life and see how much you burn every 10 minutes and you can mix and match to get 30-60 minutes of calorie burning activity most days of the week.

Good luck! And, btw, congratulations on the 30lbs down! That's a huge accomplishment!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Any good weight loss plan has some exercise in it. You need it to boost your metabolism. You also should remember that 160 toned looks better than 150 flabby, so it's not JUST about the number on the scale, it's about being healthy and exercise is part of being healthy.
  • Bigtunatina
    Options
    Thanks. I know I need to jolt my body and I agree skinny fat is terrible - I used to be a lot stronger when I was dieting AND exercising. The gym was just something I was not looking forward to due to finances BUT its gotten SO COLD I have to eliminate that excuse!

Hopefully will be joining before the end of the year and avoid the new years resolution rush.
  • fushion243
    Options
    Not certain, but I would assume that muscle loss was part of the early dieting effort. That is heavier than fat and muscle burns calories. So, if you have a seditary lifestyle like me, exercise will speed up the metabolism, add muscle which burns fat, and keeps your lower caloric intake deficiency moving against fat for energy versus muscle. This doesn't mean you need to be running marathons or living at the gym. Long walks at a reasonable pace can be a huge help.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know I need to jolt my body and I agree skinny fat is terrible - I used to be a lot stronger when I was dieting AND exercising. The gym was just something I was not looking forward to due to finances BUT its gotten SO COLD I have to eliminate that excuse!

Hopefully will be joining before the end of the year and avoid the new years resolution rush.

You don't have to go to the gym! I don't have any one to baby sit my daughter, so I do exercise dvd's when she's in bed. Now I'm fitter than I've ever been without too much expense.
  • SKelley1218
    SKelley1218 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought some jillian micheals dvds, they seem to be working well and were I think 9 dollars each at walmart.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym either and in Wisconsin it's bitter cold today. I do own an elliptical machine and dvds. They give me something to do in the winter and work out without freezing.
  • Bigtunatina
    Options
    I like dvds and did the 30 day shred - the only problem now is that I live on upper floor at apts and I like to do my workouts a little later in the evening.

I also like to quit A LOT and get motivated for a good 2 weeks then I don't want to do the videos anymore or I get burnt out. I really enjoyed walking but its gotten too dark and cold for that.
  • Jackiemal
    Jackiemal Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi, one of the ways to keep motivated is to track your progress, not only with weight loss, but in any physical activity that you do. Perhaps the reporting that's available on this site will help you.

I'm the same way, I tend to lose motivation after a time.

Congrats on the 30lbs!

Jackie
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    You need to add in some kind of physical activity to help you with your weightloss. Losing weight with diet alone is good however for your health you need to do cardio vasicular exercises to keep your heart healthy... And adding in weight training is not a bad thing. Trust me... If you want to look like you are in good shape you need to get into great shape with exercise. Rather you do simple workouts @ home such as the biggest loser workouts, the P90x or any other form of workout you need to add something. But if nothing else just add in more walking. Which is the easiest, healthies and its free to do. But congrates on your weightloss so far. Keep up the good work.