I have returned from running away :)

Options
I'm back from a self-imposed timeout an attitude adjustment.

When things get tough I tend to isolate. When I isolate I of course eat. And I eat I feel remorseful. I feel remorseful I isolate some more. You know what happens when I isolate- wash, rinse, repeat.

So I'm going to try something different. I'm going to say I'm back and I need help.

I need lots of help. I just cannot be 354 pounds for one more minute.

Not one more minute.

I'm waving the white flag – I'm surrendering – I'm giving in – I'm in admitting I can't do it alone.

Asking for help so hard for me.

Replies

• SCSmalley
    SCSmalley Posts: 18
    Options
    Well, first of all, congratulations for making the first step. Admitting to ourselves that we need help is just so damn hard! Coming onto a community is super helpful because there are so many of us that are on here for the same reason: we need help.

I came on MFP a couple years ago and was pretty successful for a couple months. Then my husband and I had our first child... then our second one came right after - on purpose. But here I am now, 15 pounds heavier then I've ever been. It's time to get some help. Clearly, wishing the weight would go away isn't working.

I personally love the food diary. It makes me think twice before I eat something. Because I know I have to log it, I think about if I really want it. Then I drink some water, and then if I still want it 15 minutes later, I eat it. It's true what they say... when you're thirsty, it presents itself as hunger. Water will take care of my cravings more often than not. When I'm not drinking water, those are the days I find myself feeling more hungry more often. Also with the food diary, I was amazed at just how much I eat. The first day I joined MFP, I didn't follow any guidelines. I wanted to see just how bad I was being... pretty bad. Knowing what I was putting in my body day after day really made me wake up.

There's tons of tips and tricks. I hope you find what works for you. Weight loss is a long process and can be very discouraging at times. One day at a time. Feel free to add me :) I love to share and hear what works for others to see if I can incorporate it in my day and routine.

No more running away :)
  • boxofhappies
    Options
    Welcome back! "A year from now you'll wish you had started today."
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I ran away too and came back last week. Add me if you like, I have recommitted and will be glad to offer and accept help.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Welcome back :smile:
  • Tippy05
    Tippy05 Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi!

I'm new here too and am looking for motivation as well. I totally get what you're going through, and like SC I'm back 2 years and 2 kids later. I'm up 20 lbs from where I was before I got pregnant and at only 5'1", every pound is obvious!

I haven't found what works for me yet, and don't have any tricks or tips to pass along just yet, but that's why I'm here. I'm hoping to learn to eat healthy and lose weight "the right way".

Good luck on your journey! I'm not sure how to friend somebody yet, but if you figure it out, I'd be happy to do this with you.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! You can do this! :smile:
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Please add me I have the same problem I just came back from 5 weeks of denial and 14 pounds heavier. I know what that is like please feel free to add me: :wink:
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congrats on setting your mind to making a change.

Motivation is like bathing. You need it pretty often! Remind yourself exactly why you are making a change and keep reminding yourself. What little time I've been on these forums, I've found people here to be extremely supportive and welcoming. Keep logging in and fighting the good fight. You don't have to fight it alone :)
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! One day at a time....
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I've been where you are--you can do this! Just take baby steps and eventually you'll get there. Good Luck! :smile:
  • Stonekerry
    Stonekerry Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have run away and come back so many times over the last ten years or so, so I completely understand how you feel. Just wish all that running had turned into pounds lost!
    Like you, I'm reaching out this time and saying "hey - I need some help please" and this seems to be absolutely the site to get the support you need.
    I'll send you a friend request - up to you- but be great to do it together!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. There is no shame in falling - it is refusing to get back up that constitutes failure.

I used to use every excuse in the book - "Oh I had a bad day - I might as well eat everything in sight" or even "Ooo, I have a hangnail, I'm gonna need a chocolate cake for that."

No more - I prefer to treat myself like a toddler learning to walk. Lots of encouragement and be willing to keep trying - no punishments or chastisements, just keep going and keep trying and turn to my Fitness Pals when I am ready to chuck it all. If I have a bad day, a bad meal or even a bad mood, just keep at it. Success is just around the corner!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! you can and will do this!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me as a friend if you offer mutual support

good luck with your joruney
  • pancakemix16
    pancakemix16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, and congrats on making your back to your path of a healthier, happier you!
  • wordsjustfly
    Options
    I am just overcome with emotion. I feel like I could do the Oprah ugly cry right now :)

Thank you for reaching out and thank you for offering help and support.

You know what's weird is that I just completed a DBT eating program. It's where they help you recognize and address of motion and they teach you how to deal with distress tolerance. It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done besides Childbirth.

So I guess I'm feeling right now is that they said here are your tools he completed our program and now were going to throw you into the deep end so you can actually swim.

Just totally overwhelmed.

And I'm telling you when I have a bad attitude I'm just like a spoiled three-year-old. Sometimes I just need my a** kicked:)

Thank you for being gentle. And I mean that.
  • freedom403
    freedom403 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    AGREE
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I've sent you a friend request, and am happy to accept requests from anyone.

This is my second time around here and I cannot tell you the difference having MFP friends has made in my experience and in my results.

I have managed to create a network of wonderfully supportive people who offer encouragement, advice, and truth telling. As you read your news feed and forums and see comments from people who seem to have similar goals and values, send them a friend request. Accept every request you receive. I went super stealth underground my first time around and I believe it was to my detriment. This time my motto is , "The more the merrier!"
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US!

Welcome back. Now go do some wall-pushups and take a 15 minute walk. You got this, babycakes!