Training your lungs!

Options
Hello everyone!

Quick question here! I'm not exactly sure how to word it to bear with me!

I just started running in November for the first time since I was what, 10? Ha ha! Anyhow, its been amazing! Love love love it! However I'm beginning to notice that as I push myself to be able to go further and faster, even though my legs are catching up with me, my lungs aren't. Don't get me wrong, I am breathing! Ha ha! I'm very careful about my breathing in and out. But I can't tell you how many time I feel as though my legs aren't tired at all but my chest is definitely done with that workout.

I do have asthma however it is seasonal, meaning, usually when winter is changing to spring or summer into fall. I know what an asthma attack feels like and this is not it. I simple feel in my chest that I'm exhausted. Its getting to the point where after two miles I feel I could keep flying physically except for my chest! I've only been running for one month.

So I guess my question is: As much as I'm training my legs to endure long distances or to go even faster, am I training my lungs as well? They are as much used to my old lifestyle as my legs were. I just wish they would catch up with my legs! What do you think?

Replies

• skyley
    skyley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have this same exact problem so after months of trying and hoping I would get used to it I just stopped running and did other cardio hopefully someone has an answer :)
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    Same for me! I have tried over and over again to get used to it, but just can't. My chest feels like it is ready to cave in, but the rest of my body feels like it could keep going. I too have switched to other forms of cardio.
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't what happens with Asthma but I do know that my lungs used to feel like they were burning when I first started running - they still do if i've had more than a few days off. (check the asthma problem out with your doctor - my doctor is a fellow runner so is always full of tips for me)

When you build distance you need to increase steadily - approx 15% extra distance or time with each run. Your legs may be able to cope but the rest of your body may need a little more time.

download a training plan from the internet or sign up for a race - they usually have a training guide that you can follow, and you have something to aim for.

I think that swimming is a very good sport for building lung capacity - so you could do some cross training to help with the running - they do swimfit sessions in most UK pools which are very challenging and a great way to get fit.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Go slower. Seriously, I know it sounds crazy but it's true. Go a bit slower and you'll find that you lungs stay with you longer. Use interval training and simple milage to increase pace and eventually it will all fall into place. I have RAD (reactive airway disease) and I actually went to the doc afraid I was hurting myself because my chest and lungs would actually HURT. She looked at me like I was nuts! No I can go around 7 - 8 miles in 1:20, then I could hardly do 3 in :42. It does come in time. :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a year, and am just now getting into the rhythm of it. It helps me if I focus on counting my steps. Inhale 2 or 3 strides, exhale 2 or 3 (whatever you're most comfortable with). In through your nose, out through your mouth/teeth. It takes a long time, but eventually it becomes more natural.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing, I talked to my dr about it. She said it is exercise induced Asthma and put me on an inhaler that I take 15mins before I work out. I no longer have an issue.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Ok. I was diagnosed with asthma in my mid 20's about 25 or so. I was put on a steroid inhaler. I hated it. After I learned to eat right and workout right. I no longer have a need for that inhaler or problems breathing. It can be about good food and training. Remember asthma is a form of inflamation. If your eating food that cause inflamation it could worsen it.

I hated running! So I would stay away from it! But now that is what I have to do to get my heart rate up and challenge my body. It is all in the training. Do Intervals 5 min walking warm up, then jog for 30 sec at a moderate challange, then walk for 1 min and repeat for however long you have. You can do 1min jog 1 min walk and repeat this many times. After a while your endurance will build and your lunges and heart will become stronger. It should help with your problems. Make sure your breathing deep and slow. In through the nose and out through the mouth. Alot of people dont breath properly and this is another thing that will hold you back.
  • sevangelista
    Options
    Two methods. 1st try interval training for 25% of your run. Sprint for 30 seconds jog 60 sprint 30 jog 60. Repeat. The 2nd method is to try steady state work. If you normal run 30 minutes at a pace that leaves you wiped out in a respiratory sense at the end..try walking at a very brisk pace...just below a run...for an hour...every other work out.
  • sevangelista
    Options
    Like minds:)
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Intervals are the key to life!
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ok, this might seem a bit funny, but how about taking up a wind instrument? I've played the flute for more than half of my life and I've never had many problems with breathing and it's fun as well :) We did an experiment in school a few years ago, we measured the lung volume of all the girls and all the boys (guys normally have like 2 liters more than girls) and I had a much higher volume than all the girls (although only as high as the 'weakest' guy). So, this is a great exercise for your lungs. I am aware though that taking up an instrument is not that easily done. Still, I can only recommend it, it makes life a lot happier :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    intervals helped me a lot. Also, slow down, only jog at a pace that you can breathe comfortably at, get to the point where you can jog your desired distance, THEN work on doing that distance faster.
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    definitely agree go slower, I was having the same problems but I decreased my speed just a little by about 0.4 mph & gosh darnit it has made a big difference, even my breathing recovery is quicker. Hang in there, however if it doesn't improve make a trip to the doctor just to get it checked out
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I can't comment on the asthma part but what worked for me was going slower AND longer. Working towards a longer and higher weekly mileage will enhance your blood vessels’ O2 carrying ability. Running at a steadier but slower pace increases blood hemoglobin concentration which is the key to not running out of breath when running.

Also, if you have the time, I highly recommend swimming. It's a great compliment because it is low impact and it gives your joints a break from the pounding and high impact sport of running.

:)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My husband and I train in intervals to push our lungs. Go faster, out of you comfort zone for about 3 minutes. Then go slower. Repeat.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    There are lots of free podcasts online with prompts on when to run/walk. I'm doing the Couch 2 5K and love it. I'm only 4 weeks in and can already see a dramatic improvement.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    BUMP
  • jenni3626
    jenni3626 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bravo for working so hard at it! Keep it up and I believe you will get your lungs stronger too. I wanted to strongly encourage you to always have an inhaler with you (or whatever you may use in case of an asthma attack) when you are running. Also, I wanted to encourage you to talk to your doctor to ask her how your asthma may be affecting your lungs when you run hard and how you can push past this in a safe and healthy way while still challenging your body to go father. Don't give up on it unless the doctor advises against it (then you might need to think it through), but as long as it's safe then keep with it! You can do it!
  • SafariLara
    Options
    your lungs do improve! I used to have the same problem. Sad to say, it took more than a year to see much improvement but now I dont have that problem at all when I run. Just keep running!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a lung disease, the "lungs" are almost never the problem during exercise or with exercise breathing.

In some cases, people tend to tense up or "brace" themselves during activities like running, so they might actually restrict their breathing. These people benefit from developing patterns, mantras, images, etc that remind them to relax and to breathe. However, this is also a relatively small group.

By far, the biggest reason healthy people have trouble breathing is that they are working at an intensity that is too high for their cardiovascular system to handle. They never reach aerobic steady state. The oxygen demands of the activity are greater than their capacity to deliver and process oxygen; as a result, the body sends all the usual signals to "breath harder--we need more oxygen". Which means that, in healthy people, breathing difficulties are mostly due to cardiac insufficiency--it's the heart that's the "problem", not the lungs (actually, to be clear, it's not a "heart problem" either--just a mismatch between fitness demand and fitness ability).

Improving your cardiovascular system can be done with either interval training, endurance training, or both. I always recommend a combination of steady endurance training, medium-intensity, longer intervals, and harder, shorter intervals. A beginner would concentrate on the first two and not even introduce the hard stuff for awhile.

Once again you cannot "train" your lungs because the lungs aren't the problem. Even an Olympic athlete at peak effort still has greater remaining lung capacity than he or she can utilize.

Running, even at relatively slow speeds like 5.0 mph, is a fairly intense activity.

So I agree with both those who say "slow down" and those whose recommend intervals. For your steady runs, you should find a speed that you can maintain without feeling like your breathing is out of control --no matter how slow that is. For intervals, it's best to start with walk/jog--again, the interval speed at the start is not going to be that fast--something you can sustain comfortably for 30-60 sec.

If you can't find ANY speed that is comfortable, then you may not have the fitness level to be running at all at this time.

And once again, this applies only to healthy people for whom asthma, ongoing or exercise-induced--or some other lung problem has definitely been ruled out.