Jamaica

Options
Mygsds
Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
Hello, we are going to Jamaica. In 2 weeks for 5 days and was told there is a lot of rice and beans and high carb choices. Scares me because I really struggle keeping that sort of thing at bay...Do you have any idea what I can eat there? Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't know what else you can eat there but if you want to bring me I will supervise and make sure you don't eat too much. :)
  • Mygsds
    Options
    Absolutely.. We can supervise each other.... LOL
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most countries in the world have plenty of high carb options. Jamaica is known for their ackee and saltfish, jerk chicken, callaloo...sure rice and beans are around if you want them but they are by no means the only option.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You could just enjoy your vacation and worry about tracking food again once you get back.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hello, we are going to Jamaica. In 2 weeks for 5 days and was told there is a lot of rice and beans and high carb choices. Scares me because I really struggle keeping that sort of thing at bay...Do you have any idea what I can eat there? Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you

Are you staying at a resort? If so, choose steak, sea food and fresh fruit.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    ***THREADJACK***

OP, Your profile picture has to be the best and cutest pic I have ever seen!!!!

OMG, I love it. How on earth did you get those puppies to stay so perfect like that????
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Spicy pumpkin soup! YUM!
  • Mygsds
    Options
    We raise German Shepherds for SAR ..these little guys even at that age(6 weeks) learn to listen and have such high intelligence. Love them to death. And back to the post, yes we are staying at a resort. I know they have wonderful fruit options too. I am allergic to anything with a shell like shrimp, crab.... I was told by friends to eat goat.. Is that a joke or is this offered?..
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    We raise German Shepherds for SAR ..these little guys even at that age(6 weeks) learn to listen and have such high intelligence. Love them to death. And back to the post, yes we are staying at a resort. I know they have wonderful fruit options too. I am allergic to anything with a shell like shrimp, crab.... I was told by friends to eat goat.. Is that a joke or is this offered?..

I am pretty sure it will be offered.

Curry goat, curry chicken, jerk chicken / goat............steaks, fresh vegetables and fruit.

There will be plenty of options to eat and should be able to eat healthy.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it...............just go enjoy the sunshine, beaches, fresh water and the culture of the people!!
  • Mygsds
    Options
    Thank you all so much..
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I was in Jamaica, I ate a lot of fruit, veggies and meat. I think the carby stuff was an option as well, but the other stuff was fresh. And, seriously, jerk chicken. Eat it. I could live off that 'ish.
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    They use a lot of mango and banana in their dishes too, which tastes pretty good. If you're staying at a resort like I did a few years back, there will be plenty of healthy options if you want to stay on plan.

My personal favorites from that trip were the jerk chicken, beef patty (it's sort of like a turnover filled with carnitas type pork or beef) and spicy pumpkin dip. SO GOOD! Oh, and drink Red Stripe beer while you're down there...you can find it pretty much everywhere.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I have been to Jamaica numerous times. If you are staying a resort the options are endless for healthy, fresh food. LOTS of fish and poultry options and so many veggies and exotic fruits. You'll be able to fill up at every meal and still stay under your calorie goal. Best part is there is TONS of water activities to keep the calories at bay. Good luck and yeah mon!!!!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    If you're staying at a resort, then you won't have to worry about not having healthy items available. The Sandals resort we stayed at a few years back had like 7 different restaurants and a bunch of food stands throughout the resort where you could get pretty much whatever you wanted. Have a great time! I'd love to go back again.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    We are staying at a place called rock house. It is just outside of Negril. I am in the process of pulling up their menu on line. Thanks so much for all the terrific ideas...
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    I LOVE Jamaica! and they LOVE fat girls! I have been there 3 times and every place that I stayed had traditional Jamaican dishes and lots of American food. The resorts that I stayed at had different restaurants on site like Chinese ,Italian, Burgers.You can make any diet plan fit there and the fish is Sooooo yummy! I did not like fish until I tasted fish there, now I can't eat fish here unless its Super fresh.Have fun!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options

So far, food wise, our Jamaica experience has been the best for all-inclusive eatings. And yes, there was curried goat. :)

Jerk chicken served down by the beach had to be the best experience, though.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    Thanks again to all of you
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Lol, just eat a bunch of coconut product. Guaranteed that you won't retain much.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You could just enjoy your vacation and worry about tracking food again once you get back.

^^ Yep. I went on a 5 night Disney Cruise (+ stayed a night in Miami). I gained 8 pounds. It was delicious.
    I came back home on March 8th, and those 8lbs plus some more are gone now!