Starting a Whole 30 tomorrow

Options
I have been doing research on Whole 30 for a couple of weeks and I am starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow. I am planning on blogging on MFP regarding my experience. I would love some Whole 30 friends to help me along the way, so please send me a friend request. Also, if you are just interested in following my experience and progress, that's great too.

Replies

• Kara_Lisa
    Kara_Lisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Interested in knowing more. Do you have any good links/info? Thanks!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You can find all the info at www.whole30.com. And I recommend reading the book It All Starts with Food.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Whole30 is very interesting. I just started reading about it and I have to say that I am intrigued and will more than likely adopting this for an initial 30 days.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Day 1 complete and Day 2 is going well so far. I am still looking for some more Whole 30 MFP pals.
  • kvanaman1
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of my first whole 30. So far I'm feeling good, not too much different really. A lot of forums say they have to battle sugar detox in this first week, but aside from a minor hazy headache I've been good. I have found some meals that I really like, but I fear boredom might eventually set in. I also fear what will happen when my work schedule gets a lot busier during the second half of the program. I need to really get ahead of the game with some meal prep.

How are you doing with it so far? Have you noticed any changes in your body or cravings yet?
  • herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am on day 25
  • 46Phil
    46Phil Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Starting Whole 30 on Monday, March 24th.

How do y'all feel about Whole 30? Good experience? Difficult? Any side effects (like headaches)? Any tips?
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've done whole 30 twice before. First week I had a bit of low energy and raised my intake of fats to help during training. I missed tortillas, beans and rice too much so I moved to flexible dieting (IIFYM) I'll do a few weeks of a "whole 30" if I need to cut weight but for the most part it's cool if it works for your lifestyle.
  • mlouisecronin
    Options
    I'm on day 7 and thought I'd do MFP too since it helps me keep track of things-would be happy for friends:)
  • soberlicious
    soberlicious Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    on day 3. just put my bag of dark chocolate hershey kisses in the work kitchen. made everything today: bacon/eggs for bfast; fresh veggie and chicken salad with sweet potato for lunch...and apple and almonds for snack. i'm eating out with a friend tomorrow and i chose a few things in advance that are like 95% compliant. that'll do for me.

ACK. no sugar for a whole month!@??!?!? having coffee with unsweetened coconut milk this morning was not fun. :mad:
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I just looked at the website. I give you all a lot of credit - I definitely would not be happy on that diet. I do think a lot of it makes sense though! I'm interested to hear how it goes for people and whether it is something you can maintain long term.
  • carrieheller
    carrieheller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of Whole 30. I actually gave up grains and dairy 11 days ago but I didn't implement the official plan until this past Saturday. I think it helped to go cold turkey on the grains while I was still reading about the Whole 30 program. It also helped to have my coffee for a few more days! But since I drink it with cream and sugar I gave that up too. I'm really surprised that I haven't missed it. I have a ton of energy and I've lost 4 pounds already (in 11 days). I don't think I'll ever go back to eating grains. I feel so much better.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I did the 21-day sugar detox and it's very similar. I thought it was weird that I didn't get the sugar-free side effects they told me to keep expecting. Good luck with your journey. Real food is going to taste better and the processed stuff won't. :)
  • VanessaRudden
    VanessaRudden Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hope your Whole 30 Diet is going well - Just read the website it sounds interesting.
  • jglnomor
    jglnomor Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 and it's going ok, No sugar or popcorn is the big issue for me. I purchased a box of Larabar minis today, the cashew cookie was really good. I don't know if I'd make it if I couldn't have sweet potatoes. I followed a Paleo diet for a month last year, the Whole 30 is slightly more limiting,
  • dazydawn
    dazydawn Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I just went to this link and it made me laugh! That evaluation was obviously based solely on a cursory read of the book and no one who has actually attempted the diet, successfully or not, was actually interviewed. I agree that the diet is restrictive. Nothing processed, no grains and no added sugar. In America that is very restrictive. Which, in and of itself, is laughable. Though, no alcohol....well, I did miss that on occasion. Also, the diet doesn't call for lean proteins. If the proteins come from well-reared animals you can eat the fat. If it comes from factory farmed animals you can't because it's full of crap. And it doesn't require you to eat obscure meats like ostrich. OMG. It lists them as OK to eat, if you have it available to you, but there is nothing that suggests you may want to seek it out as goat butt is so much better for you than pig butt. You can also eat quail or pheasants or dolphins, even though they are not on the list. Just saying. And it isn't a high protein diet. 3/4 of the plate is suppose to be vegetables and a healthy dose of fat is required. The amount of suggested protein is based on typical serving sizes of protein. A palm sized piece of meat is broadly accepted as a portion across most diet platforms and it is suggested one eats 1 to 2 servings per meal. Radical, to be sure.

Anyway, I'm not saying this program is easy. The cravings can last a long time for some people and that can be difficult. The reintroduction of foods can send folks down a slippery slope. Not saying this diet is easy or that it will work long term for everyone, just thought the review was ridiculous.
  • Georgias129
    Georgias129 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! I did my first Whole 30 starting March 10th. Not going to lie the first 9 days were a bit hellish but that's because I was getting rid of my 4-6 a day diet coke habit. No caffiene, no aspertame and no sugar. We are talking major withdrawals. But I have to say that coming out of it, it was life changing.

One, I no longer like diet coke. W-I-N!! I never in a million years would have thought that I would say that. After years of quitting off and on and always going back I know now that I won't be going back ever again!

Two, sugar gives me really bad headaches and I do not feel good when I eat it. (processed sugar, I still eat fruit:)

I'm a pretty healthy eater but this has forced me to read labels and I am hyper aware of everything now. My tastebuds are super aware of everything and when I am eating clean I feel my best. Eating this way is challenging and takes a lot of planning but I think it was worth it and I highly recommend it. I did it with a bunch of friends and have since had a few friends decide to do it as well. I lost 6lbs and have a few more to go. I've decided to eat clean as much as possible while at home but I can choose to have things like tortillas or cheese when I am out. It's now a choice. I choose to eat clean. This kicks all your cravings and changes the way you taste food. Things that I once loved don't taste good any more! A-MAZ-BAlls!!! :) Good luck on your journey. It took me a year to finally take this challenge on, if I would have known then what I know now I wouldn't have waited.
  • kanona_42
    kanona_42 Posts: 8
    Options
    I just started my second Whole 30. I, like most people, have to do a reset on the Whole 30 occasionally, as I let myself get out of whack. I started eating horribly again (pizza is like crack), and started gaining back some of the weight I lost. Impressively, it's been 6 months since my first whole 30, so if I can keep it down to twice a year, I'll be happy!