Yoga and strength training

Options
chsa22
chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
Hello, I have been doing specific yoga poses for a few weeks to improve my upper body strength. I've already noticed a difference in my arms and in the length of time I'm now able to hold certain poses.

My question is, if I do those yoga poses on one day, specifically for improving upper body strength, and then the very next day, do other exercises (free weights or kettle bell) is that too much for the muscles in my arms? I know you need a day off to give the muscles time to recover, and that's when they actually get stronger, etc.... so I don't want to over work them. But I also know the kettlebell is not simply for arms, it's uses the entire body/core/legs.

I do 5 different poses to strengthen my arms and repeat the circuit 5 times. Is it fine to do something with arms the following day, or should I wait hold off a day?

Thanks!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You will be fine
  • Dposh67
    Dposh67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do yoga as my warmup stretch before I do strength training with my dumbells. I also do yoga AFTER my dumbell workout for a stretch. Are you doing yoga with weights or something? I never feel like i have to rest my body after yoga. Yoga itself is actually helping me stretch my body after using the weights.

Now if on day one you are using your weights and then want to do yoga but your body is too sore or tired then i can see why you would rest
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yoga is terrific as "active recovery" from lifting, it should not interfere with your training. I believe yoga helps to counter my usual muscle tightening and forward shoulders/tight pecs, after lifting.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I take a yoga class inbetween my lifting days. I love it, you'll be fine.
  • chsa22
    chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!