Can you have a fast metabolism and still be over weight?

Options
I have never been "skinny" I always have been thicker and athletic and have always been the type to eat a TON. After doing calculations, I have come to the conclusion that in the past I would eat around 3,000 cals a day.

Stats:

19 years old

Female

230 lbs

5'7

Breast size: 34 J (weighs around 30 pounds)

I wear a size L/XL

I work in retail so I am on my feet 5 hours a day 3X a week, other then that I do not exercise or anything. I am very sedentary

I have cut down my calorie intake in hopes that I will lose weight doing so, I am also starting to drink more water (never use to) and eating more fruits and veggies.

I am wondering if I have a fast metabolism because I feel as though I should be WAY fatter then I am considering how much I eat every day. I know usually those with fast metabolisms are thin, however my boyfriend (who has a fast metabolism) eats alot of small portions frequently and doesn't gain anything.

I eat triple the amount he does, just as frequently.

I am obviously changing my lifestyle now (eating healthy and exercising), but I am wondering about my metabolism because I just feel as though a person who eats so much should be way bigger.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you are on your feet 15 hours a week, you are not sedentary. Your calculations of how much you are eating and burning are probably off somewhere.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    My metabolism is slow, but it has a lot of hustle.
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    I may have used "sedentary" wrong, however I doubt 15 hours a week of standing in place is enough to burn the amount of cals I consumed.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5 " and 115 lbs maintain on around 2000 calories just strength training 3x a week and taking care of my kids. I doubt your metabolism is something super. I think you should track accurately for a few weeks and see how the scales do, go from there.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    being on your feet and walking are not the same thing. please invest in a pedometer of some kind. it will help if you think you move a lot. my job is very physical and im constantly moving for five hours a day and I still only burn an extra 200 cals a day according to my fitbit.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Metabolism has nothing to do with being thin or fat. If you eat more than you burn, you gain weight. If you eat less than you burn, you lose weight. Just because a person is thin, it doesn't mean they have a fast metabolism. I'm still heavy, but my metabolism does just fine...I maintain around 2800.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    According to your stats you gave, your BMR is 1853. So if you sat on your butt all day and did nothing, you could eat 1853 calories and not gain anything. Height and weight plays a role in how many calories you burn a day.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You state that you have always been "athletic" in the past. This would probably have accounted for the fact that you could previously eat around 3,000 cals without putting on huge amounts of weight.

Additionally I'd imagine that was an estimate as you weren't tracking your calorie intake then.

Your metabolism is actually probably "faster" due to the fact that you are carrying extra weight - The body has to expend more energy to sustain itself when you are heavier.

Men can generally eat more cals per day than women, & their metabolism can work faster at rest than womens.

You are young - age is a factor.

You may have a higher percentage of lean muscle - refering back to previously "athletic".
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can have a high metabolism compared to another at your height and weight. It would be because of genetic factors but also likely that you have higher than average lean body mass.

When I was in high school, I was tested with 134lbs lean body mass at 178 lbs and around 5'5". Now, I'm 5'7" and 157 lbs at 38 years of age and I can burn 3000 calories on a rest day if I busy myself with normal activity - cooking, cleaning, showering, grocery shopping, gardening etc. So since you weigh more, you could easily burn that much.

So now that you know you burn quite high, don't be ridiculous and try and eat 1500 calories/day or less. Bring it down to a reasonable 2300, 2200... somewhere around there, and you'll lean out without hurting. True story.
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    Thank you. Well, I only track the calories of everything except fruits and veggies so I'm not sure how many calories I eat.
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    Thank you. Well, I only track the calories of everything except fruits and veggies so I'm not sure how many calories I eat.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in, it certainly is possible. Even with a metabolism much higher than average it is still easy to eat more than you need to maintain a healthy weight.

I believe I'm in this category: when I'm cutting I find that the weight drops somewhat faster than the models would predict, and when I overeat I find that I don't gain as much weight as I expect. Nevertheless I was 50 pounds overweight 3 years ago, and more like 70-80 pounds overweight at my heaviest.
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel! I've lost 10 pounds this week and haven't starved myself. and even when I gave up on my weightloss 3 months ago (after losing 10 pounds) I didn't re gain the 10 pounds (I totally started binging) Glad I'm not alone. haha