Reverse Dieting

Options
Hi all,

I am trying my luck at reverse dieting to recover my very very slow metabolism. I am currently eating around 1200, and I want to eventually get up to around 1700 (my TDEE). For this week, I am going to eat 1250 and increase in 50 calorie increments. My question is, should I be netting that calorie amount (aka, take exercise into consideration), or just flat out eat 1250 and disregard any exercise calories? I have heard from people who count macros rather than calories, to completely disregard exercise and eat a static amount of calories/macros regardless every day, even though exercise is variable.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    How do you know your metabolism is very very slow?
  • R3dVamp
    R3dVamp Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi all,

I am trying my luck at reverse dieting to recover my very very slow metabolism. I am currently eating around 1200, and I want to eventually get up to around 1700 (my TDEE). For this week, I am going to eat 1250 and increase in 50 calorie increments. My question is, should I be netting that calorie amount (aka, take exercise into consideration), or just flat out eat 1250 and disregard any exercise calories? I have heard from people who count macros rather than calories, to completely disregard exercise and eat a static amount of calories/macros regardless every day, even though exercise is variable.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Awsome, I am doing the same thing, orignally i tried to star off slow going from 1500 up by 5%, but after a few days i started to become so hungry that i just upped my levels to my maintenance levels of 2400. I dont stick to this I watch my macros more closely, so most of the time I am under this. I have been doing this for a week and interestingly enough I gained 3 kg in 3 days which was expected, but then after another three days i had lost 2kg. Still 1kg up, but i am going to give myself a good month to see what happends, weight is not the best calculatior but I use it as a guide to make sure i am doing the right things. As I am doing maintenance level calories I dont eat back the exercise calories as this is where i will take my deficit from for weight loss. I am now playing the waiting game for my metobalism to catch back up and 5 years of low calorie diets is alot to catch up on, I expect this will take quite a few months. As you are only starting I would recoment that you do eat the exercise calories back. the point of eating TDEE is to eat enough food to support your life systems and activity levels.
    Also if you want to lose weight it will give you something to cut from once your metabolism has caught back up.
    Good Luck, add me if you like.
  • supkristi
    supkristi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do you know your metabolism is very very slow?

Well I have been eating at an extreme deficit (sometimes netting only 700 or 800 calories) for a while. I lost weight at first but have since plateau'd with increased exercise (sometimes 1 hour intense cardio and 30 mins strength training per day). I am also constantly hungry, get into bad moods, tired. I haven't lost any weight in about 3 months. Mostly for the amount of effort I put into my healthy lifestyle, I'm not feeling so healthy. A personal trainer at my local gym suggested reverse dieting after I told her these things.
  • supkristi
    supkristi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    "Eat More to Weigh Less" has a group here on MFP and is exactly what you need, and they will show you exactly how to do it.