All Inclusive Tropical Resort Coping Tips?

Options
Hi all.

In a week, I'm taking off for a 10 day trip to an all inclusive resort (in Cuba) for 10 days. I've been working so hard to watch what I'm eating, and I want to maintain my weight loss momentum (and motivation).

Any tips for healthy food and coping mechanisms at an all inclusive resort (where the drinks flow non stop and you get hammered with starchy Cuban food?)

So far, my thoughts are:
- Do a good chunk of physical activity each day (beach walking; snorkelling; etc.)
- Focus on protein and vegetables
- Take that wonderful cafe con leche with no sugar
- Give myself a quota of two sugary tropical drinks a day (and diet pop and bottled water the rest of the time).

Any other bright ideas ?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Punta Cana...my tips enjoy yourself...drink up all you want of what you want and don't sweat it.

I will admit I gained 4lbs...but it was gone in just over 2 weeks...

enjoy yourself please...that is what it is about.

It doesn't diminish your motivation or momentum...well it didn't mine...makes me want to go again next year and look even better in my bikini...so more motivation.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Go enjoy yourself and get back to it when you return home.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Just have fun and do the best you can by controlling portion sizes. It's only 10 days.

If there are buffets use a salad plate rather then a large one and you'll probably exercise more than at home with walking to seeing stuff or swimming. After all you'll be in the tropics. Explore.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation. Get back to work when you come home. Have fun!
  • Jumjutikawex
    Options
    Yeah I would say enjoy it too. There will probably be a lot of fruit around too... really really good fruit. That's the part I miss most. Miss the pitajaya. And gallo pinto.. and the cheese. I'm Central American going in a week and a half!!!! Say hi to me while I'm flying by lol!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,636 Member
    Options
    When confronted with a hotel buffet, just ask yourself occasionally "Am I really enjoying this?". If the answer is yes then by all means continue. if you are eating mediocre quality food just because it is plentiful and available, stop.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Your first goal- Have fun!

Sample all the food, but there is no need to eat large quantities. Feeling bloated and sluggish will not contribute to your first goal of having fun.

When I'm traveling, I ask myself if I can get this food item regularly at home, or if it's special. No need to eat a bunch of mediocre french toast or cheesecake. Fresh local seafood? Tropical fruit? Go nuts!

Stay active! You will probably end up doing more than you do at home.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    When confronted with a hotel buffet, just ask yourself occasionally "Am I really enjoying this?". If the answer is yes then by all means continue. if you are eating mediocre quality food just because it is plentiful and available, stop.

Best advice ever. In fact, it could be applied to all eating situations.

Don't overeat just because you can. Make choices that you will truly enjoy and savor them. Choose foods that you can't get at home. Try new things. Choose fruits and veggies for your side dishes. Enjoy yourself guilt-free, but avoid mindless overeating just because the food is available.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself. Life is too short to stress over diets on vacation.

Get out and be active and enjoy all the delicious food and drink.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    ask yourself if you will be able to get back on track when u get back, if not dont overendulge
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Most places have vegetarian options. Although they are not always lighter than the carnivorous options, it gives you something else to try if the regular entrees are very heavy. Also don't forget broth based soups before your meal can make you eat less calories for your entire meal. Watch the salad dressings as they are evil evil stuff. (lol) And you'll always do better to pass on the bread basket. May as well make your calories worthwhile, not bread. blah

Enjoy!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I can help. OP, you're right. It's almost impossible. You will probably undo everything you've done to better yourself up to this point. Ask yourself, Is one measly tropical vacation worth losing it all? I'll PM you my address and take those tickets off your hands for you.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    lol coping tips lol!!
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I went to Vegas in January. Ate and drank all sorts of stuff. I logged and made sure to get some exercise in while there. It didn't throw me off at all. Just enjoy yourself.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I can help. OP, you're right. It's almost impossible. You will probably undo everything you've done to better yourself up to this point. Ask yourself, Is one measly tropical vacation worth losing it all? I'll PM you my address and take those tickets off your hands for you.

hahah good one.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Go enjoy yourself and get back to it when you return home.

Another vote for ^^this!!!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I went to Cuba a month ago.

My tips: eat and drink what you want, I came back the same weight (a lot of the food isn't that great, some of it is, just don't go crazy) In fact all of none of us gained.

Bring a Large mug to have your drinks filled up, its much better then the little teeny tiny plastic ones they give you. hey its even environmentally friendly. We had some 1 litre mugs that we would either fill up with water before hitting the beach or with a mojito that would last us till lunch

Lots and lots of sunscreen, I got burnt my last morning, it was not fun.

If you have time go to the doctor and get a prescription for stomach bug pills. They may not be needed, but they work wonders. 3 out of 12 of us got a stomach bug, I was one of them.

Try a mojito with dark rum. Tasty

If they have it ask at the bar for a 'Disco" or crème de la disco. Its like baileys but better.

enjoy yourself and enjoy the sun.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Eat before you are so famished that you stuff yourself. Take a BIT of everything you like. The first bite tastes best. I would skip pasta fries etc and put any sauce on veggies or protein. Also I don't waste "cheeseburger" on alcohol. It's liquid sugar and turns quickly into fat.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I went on a 5 night cruise, ate whatever I wanted, gained 7 pounds, lost it all few days later. :bigsmile:

Have fun and enjoy yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Exercise while you're there - no need to stop that. Eat, get hammered, etc but get back to your routine when you get back. You shouldn't have to "cope" with a vacation.