Cardio intensity for weight loss

Options
at the gym the machines tell me to slow my roll when I select the fat/weight loss exercise option. But I feel likes its not intense enough and I tend to go harder, I really like to feel worked instead of taking slow....keeping my HR @ 140-160 while the machine's are telling me to maintain HR @ 125 !! Can I keep my intensity where I like it and still be losing fat?

Replies

• Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Interval training is the best way to burn fat. For example, go hard for 30 sec., then rest 30 sec., repeat. As your body gets used to recovering that quickly then you up your time. Go hard 45 sec., rest 30 sec, repeat.

Here is some more ideas/info. on interval training: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/Intervals.htm

Best wishes:smile:
  • stevendavis
    stevendavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The "fat burning" range the machines provide is based on the idea that if you run/walk/row at a slower pace, you can do so for a longer time, and thus burn more calories (which they equate to fat). However, if you are going to exercise for a fixed amount of time, say 30 minutes on the treadmill, you will burn more calories at a higher speed (intensity) than you will at a lower intensity. The only way the "fat burning" range works is if you exercise longer than you normally would have at a higher intensity.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    at the gym the machines tell me to slow my roll when I select the fat/weight loss exercise option. But I feel likes its not intense enough and I tend to go harder, I really like to feel worked instead of taking slow....keeping my HR @ 140-160 while the machine's are telling me to maintain HR @ 125 !! Can I keep my intensity where I like it and still be losing fat?

Yes--"fat burning" programs should be illegal. Actually, you are better off avoiding any heart-rate based program whatsoever (unless you can override the "target" heart rate at any point during the program).

When you exercise for a longer duration, your heart rate will increase over time, even with no increase in workload. This is called "cardiovascular drift". You aren't working harder and you aren't burning more calories, but the heart rate increases anyway. This is normal and due to a number of changes (increased body temp, etc) that occur as a workout proceeds.

However, if you are doing a heart rate program, the machine will note the increased heart rate and reduce your workload. That's not really what you want. It not only decreases the calories being burned, but it degrades the training stimulus as well.

Always pay attention to your breathing effort along with heart rate. If your breathing doesn't change, then your effort is not changing, even if heart rate drifts upward.
  • FAKECED
    Options
    The reason you have a lower heart rate while burning fat on those machines is because of where your body gets its energy from.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Great answers from all of you! Thank you for taking the time, fkn awesome
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Yupp! The only time HR really comes into effect with calorie burning if if you're doing Max V02 and other high intensity training. So in other words: don't worry 'bout it :)