Best post-workout snacks? Tree nut and dairy allergy.

Options
Hi,
I'm kind of new here, so I'm not sure if this is the right place...

I've been trying to eat healthier after workouts (I used to pig out on candy afterwards), but it's difficult because most people recommend things like string cheese, greek yogurt, whey protein containing items, cottage cheese, and nuts/nut butters. The problem is that I cannot have any of those foods due to allergies.

I know there's hummus + carrots/celery, ham slice or tuna + bread, soy-milk, and eggs, but are there other foods I could eat that have some protein and carbs? Preferably under 200 or 250 calories, as it is a SNACK and if I eat any more than that I would be too full for my other meals. I can have Luna bars and the like, except for some varieties, but they contain a lot of sugar.

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The best thing after a work out is fruit. Especially something juicy, like watermelon or oranges.
  • mooncath
    mooncath Posts: 31
    Options
    Fruit after workouts taste amazing, but I've been told it's ideal to get some protein pretty soon after working out to make sure my body recovers properly. Thanks anyways for the suggestion.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    whey protein, a fruit, honey, and soy milk......blend away.
  • lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    Options
    Can you have sunflower seeds? Sunflowerseed butter is pretty tasty. Also there are lots of crackers, mixes, etc you can make out of seeds. Here's a recipe for crackers that are SO good:

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/04/20/savory-and-sweet-crackers-with-almond-flour/

it calls for almond flour but you can use whatever kind of flour you want.
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Tuna or chicken salad on crackers
    sardines on toast
    beef jerky
  • mooncath
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Yes, I can have seeds. I'd actually forgotten about those!
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake with whey and almond milk (any milk will work) then breakfast after my shower is something to the effect of fried potatoes, eggs, and bacon!
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say Jerky as well...but I prefer turkey to beef :) Also, if you like hummus, you could make the same from any other bean... Black bean 'hummus'...yummy!!!!
  • tanyelacombe
    tanyelacombe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1 cup of Kashi Lean Cinnamon crumble cereal with unsweet vanilla Almond milk...
  • janeybabe2610
    janeybabe2610 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Depending on when your doing your work out any thing you eat up to an hour after it gets burned quicker as your body is still in calorie burning mode I normally do it after breakfast then have lunch straight after.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't *need* a post workout snack.
  • mooncath
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies!

I know I don't necessarily need to have a post workout snack, and that I can just eat a meal afterwards, but my schedule doesn't work out that way, only on weekends.
  • followingjesus87
    followingjesus87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried "Sunbutter" (Sunflower Seed Butter)? I generally just eat a small meal afterwards. Fish...Fruit is a nice one...but I generally try to go for something with protein. Tons of food allergies to keep in mind for my post workout meals.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    as stated before you don't absolutely need a snack post-workout just as long as you fuel up properly throughout the day, if you're finding it hard to meet your protein needs especially since you have a dairy and tree nut allergy - why not look into egg, hemp or other plant-based protein products...i know a few whom use Vega and don't find it too bad, they have a protein powder, bars as well as a vegaOne Shake which apparently not only gives you protein but some more nutrients added to it.

I'm a solid food believer mind you but given your dietary restrictions if you're looking for an extra something those would probably be good options to consider as well.

You can also have beans (not just the stuff you buy canned with ham and some people smother with ketchup) but blackbeans, etc, lentils, quinoa...
  • mooncath
    Options
    I think I'll check out sunbutter :)
    I've never actually seen it. I just googled it and it seems that my local grocery store doesn't carry it... The Walmart does, though.

I also didn't know about hemp -- thanks!