Garmin Watches

Options
I see so many people using the Garmin watches. I was using the mapmyrun app but my phone no longer has internet to track it so I was thinking about saving for a Garmin. My understanding is that it will track with gps and then you can upload it into the Garmin Connect?

Now I'm just not sure which one is best to go with. I don't need the super fancy one but just one that will track the most important stuff. Is there one that also tracks the exact route too?

Is there another brand even that someone prefers that does similar?

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Depends on the watch. Some automatically upload onto Garmin Connect (my 405 does this, but my wife's Forerunner 10 doesn't)

What are you planning on tracking?

Time/speed/distance? FR 10
    T/S/D/HR, just running? FR 220
    high end T/S/D/HR/running? FR620
    Multi-sports? FR310 or 910
    Swimming? FR310, 910, Garmin Swim, or something not Garmin
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Love my Garmin. Picking one will depend on what you want it to do. I use a 910xt, but only because I participate in triathlons. Go to a website like REI and compare them. Look at the features, determine which will be important today as well as in the future (keep your stretch goals in mind) and select it that way. Good luck!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I love my garmin (FR310)

I was using mapmyrun before and I can admit the maps are kinda addicting to see. Now with the garmin I don't even really pay attention to the maps (aside from elevation profiles)

I can glance down and within 1 second barely breaking stride see total time/distance/current pace/average pace. It's really been an irreplaceable training tool since I bought it.

As far as model, I can only personally vouch for the forerunner 310 and forerunner 210.

The 210 is awesome because you can basically wear it as a watch and when running it has everything you need. the 310 is awesome because it has a huge programmable display for the data you want to see as well as loooooong battery life and is actually waterproof. Can't really wear it as a day to day watch though.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    The 110 is a nice as it covers all the basic running features and you can find it for under $120 (w/o HRM strap) or under $150 (w/HRm strap) at Amazon or other online retailers. The 220 is the next step up and can be found for under $250/$300 (w/o HRM/w/HRM) online. Like mentioned above, check somewhere like REI to compare features but also check out dcrainmaker for reviews of the units you're interested in.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin forerunner 210. I am a trail runner and it can pick up a GPS signal at the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. I find some of the more advanced models way too confusing.