Diabetic Foods and Meals?

Options
sillyvalentine
sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
My father in law has spent the last week in the hospital due to complications with his diabetes. (Old people really do call it "diabeetus" lol) He is a stubborn old man who does not watch his blood sugar (even though he gets the kits for free) and does not take his insulin properly (the same pack has been in the fridge since I met them seven years ago).

The only way to convince him to do something new is to show him. They come over for dinner 2 - 3 nights a week and I want to start making him diabetic friendly meals. Hopefully he will like them and my mother in law will make them for him at home too.

Any recipes, foods and ideas you want to contribute would be great! Also, what foods should he avoid?

Dessert recipes would be great because he is terrible for eating pie, cake, ice cream, sweets, etc...

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The best things to avoid are carbohydrate and excess protein.

All carbohydrate, regardless of simple or complex - whether it digests slowly or quickly - will be converted to glucose, period.

Although you can mitigate the "peak" by having your carbohydrate with fat and protein (causing digestion of carbohydrate to take longer), you still get the same overall effect because BG levels are raised longer. So the overall HbA1c result will be the same.

Excess protein you avoid because it will also become glucose. The body converts proteins to glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis. So excess (above one's need based on their metabolism and exercise type/quantity) will also raise BG levels.

Unless he has gall-bladder issues there is no reason to avoid dietary fat - especially healthy, natural fats. Avoid anything refined/processed (any vegetable oil / margarine, etc.). I stick with meat, dairy fats (butter, cream, cheese) nut oils (including coconut) and olive oil.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Oh, for recipes check out http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/ ... this particular forum tends toward low-carb diabetic treatment (which is proven superior in all randomized controlled trials) and their recipes reflect that.
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like the website http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com. They have a lot of recipes including some desserts.:flowerforyou:
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • krezinski99
    Options
    i am a diabetic and all diabetic should take 4x6 Acidophilus and super enzymes to help the digest there food . you can find them at any health food store in your area and it is not that expensive to buy. . i was on insulin shots and by doing that i no longer have to take the insulin shots any longer and exercise even if it is walking 30 mins a day..and keep on a decent diet. Gingseng is also good for diabetics to lower the blood sugars.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    i am a diabetic and all diabetic should take 4x6 Acidophilus and super enzymes to help the digest there food . you can find them at any health food store in your area and it is not that expensive to buy. . i was on insulin shots and by doing that i no longer have to take the insulin shots any longer and exercise even if it is walking 30 mins a day..and keep on a decent diet. Gingseng is also good for diabetics to lower the blood sugars.
    Though there is some evidence (in the form of studies) to suggest Lactobacillus acidophilus can improve insulin-sensitivity... *IF* you're someone who's insulin-secretion is impaired, it will be of no discernible benefit. If you're a true type II without any damage to beta-cells, it *may* help.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eliminate sweets,alcohol, breads, cereals, rice, beans, any wheat products, potato, corn, breaded meats, deep fried foods, meatballs, meatloaf, and fruit. Try to get all of your carbohydrates from veggies, nuts, and seeds.. Go easy on milk and cheese, and don't be afraid of cholesterol and fats. Eat no more than about 30 carbs per meal. Be careful of processed meats with hidden starches and sugars. Read the ingredients. Many meats are cured with sugar..bacon, sausages, franks. They are not forbidden, but try to find those with less carbs and don't eat them in excess.

A harsh reality, but it is either do or die. That's what my doctor told me. He spent an hour going over everything to get me ready to cure my diabetes. I never had to use insulin and my last A1C was 5.5%.
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've had diabetes for 17 years. I've had to take insulin all along because my body stopped producing it. I try to limit my carbs per meal to 45 gms. I eat low sugar cereal, brown rice, beans and a little fruit and other healthy foods and my last A1C was 5.6%. Each person should follow their doctor's recommendations though.:smile:
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    Eliminate sweets,alcohol, breads, cereals, rice, beans, any wheat products, potato, corn, breaded meats, deep fried foods, meatballs, meatloaf, and fruit. Try to get all of your carbohydrates from veggies, nuts, and seeds.. Go easy on milk and cheese, and don't be afraid of cholesterol and fats. Eat no more than about 30 carbs per meal. Be careful of processed meats with hidden starches and sugars. Read the ingredients. Many meats are cured with sugar..bacon, sausages, franks. They are not forbidden, but try to find those with less carbs and don't eat them in excess.

A harsh reality, but it is either do or die. That's what my doctor told me. He spent an hour going over everything to get me ready to cure my diabetes. I never had to use insulin and my last A1C was 5.5%.

why meatloaf and meatballs?
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

why meatloaf and meatballs?

They are made with bread crumbs or crackers.
    ETA: Meatloaf uses a starchy sauce as well. Have him read labels on sauces he uses.
    I've had diabetes for 17 years. I've had to take insulin all along because my body stopped producing it. I try to limit my carbs per meal to 45 gms. I eat low sugar cereal, brown rice, beans and a little fruit and other healthy foods and my last A1C was 5.6%. Each person should follow their doctor's recommendations though.:smile:

Once he has his sugars under control, he should be able to have a treat now and again. With insulin, which the guy refuses to take, he could eat like the above poster. I suggest extremes to do it without his insulin or meds. The A1C is a fasting blood glucose test, where testing his blood sugar 1 hour and 2 hours after eating should be below 140. It should be below 100 on a fast.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I think it's great that you're looking for ways you can help your father-in-law discover that he enjoys foods that will help control his blood sugar levels. It's often easier for people to make gradual changes, or to even sneak in changes. Start by finding healthier recipes for his favorite meals, or serve a smaller portion of the potato/rice and larger portion of vegetables, or even two different types of vegetables. It's amazing how portion sizes of cookies, ice cream, brownies, etc have gotten larger over the years, and often simply cutting desserts into smaller servings, or serving on a smaller plate, works really well for people. ~Lynn /Glucerna