Ladies! Don't be afraid of the Weightroom! :)

Options
I see lots of posts from women who aren't sure whether or not they should be weight training, and if they are weight training, aren't sure how heavy they should lift. There are lots of myths out there that lifting heavy weights as a woman will make you "bulky" or "manly". I want you to know that that is simply not true! Weight training is great for your figure, and the added muscle mass can help you burn more calories. I'm a competitive powerlifter and in the best shape of my life right now. I'm not saying that super heavy lifting like I do is for everyone, but getting used to picking up some dumbbells a few times a week is never a bad choice.

Here's a before and after of me. On the left I am 195 lb, before I started doing anything. On the right is me yesterday, at 140 lb. I have been powerlifting for over a year now.

c73bacba-718a-4902-9474-ccd0976f993b_zps4b9460c7.jpg

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions or post your own before and after weights pics! Lets get rid of this myth that weights make you bulky!

Replies

• Suzd1976
    Suzd1976 Posts: 52
    Options
    You look amazing:drinker:
    Do you do any cardio? I have just started strong lifts and I love it so much. Don't know how come I waited so long to start doing weight. My only issue is that since I am on a deficit I feel my lifts are getting stalled
  • LeashaLeash
    LeashaLeash Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I'm on a cutting phase (trying to lose weight) I add in cardio. Right now I do 20 minutes five days a week on the arc trainer. When I'm just maintaining my weight I usually cut down to one 30 minute session a week, just because I like it.

Right now I'm in a deficit and I've been adding weight to my lifts, but it is slower progress then when I'm eating more. But it is possible with a solid program.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Congrats!

How are you enjoying powerlifting meets? It's been intriguing me lately, but I would still need to get my lifts up a lot more before considering. hahaha
  • LeashaLeash
    Options
    I love the meets! I find that the atmosphere is really great, and everyone I've met so far has been very helpful and supportive. It's a really awesome community.

I totally recommend signing up for a meet even if you feel your lifts aren't competitive. It's good to get some experience on the platform under your belt and you might surprise yourself. When I did my first meet I went at it with the attitude that it was just for fun and for the experience and not about being competitive yet. The best thing about powerlifting is beating your own personal bests, not trying to beat other people. Most lifters look at it from this point of view :)
  • steve0820
    Options
    I love the meets! I find that the atmosphere is really great, and everyone I've met so far has been very helpful and supportive. It's a really awesome community.

I totally recommend signing up for a meet even if you feel your lifts aren't competitive. It's good to get some experience on the platform under your belt and you might surprise yourself. When I did my first meet I went at it with the attitude that it was just for fun and for the experience and not about being competitive yet. The best thing about powerlifting is beating your own personal bests, not trying to beat other people. Most lifters look at it from this point of view :)

That's a great approach for sure, thanks! Same way I approach running when I do races, ain't no chance of winning, but still tons of fun haha. But I'm a better lifter then a runner, so I know i'd be a lot harder on myself.

Any meets coming up?
  • LeashaLeash
    Options
    I'm going to be lifting at the Canadian Powerlifting Union's national championships on April 1st.
  • steve0820
    Options
    I'm going to be lifting at the Canadian Powerlifting Union's national championships on April 1st.

Very nice! Good luck with the meet :)
  • belly718
    belly718 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to develop a cutting routine. Can I have some suggestions for the exercises you do? I'm currently 237 lbs. I lost 35 lbs so far in about 5 months I think. I just started working back out last week Tuesday after recovering from an arm injury didn't work out for a month just walking. I'm not afraid of he weight room I use the dumbbells and 15 lbs barbell in the gym to so my squats and lunges. But anything you can come up with that incorporate dumbbells, barbells, body weight I am willing to try it out until I can master it. Oh I do cardio also, my aim so far is 4 times a week since this is only the 2nd week back at it. Thanks again
  • LeashaLeash
    Options
    belly718, I sent you a personal message :)
  • sophieamhaley
    Options
    Wow, you look great!
  • maseface1
    maseface1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow you like great! Perhaps you could give me some advice? I have just started the all pro beginners routine this week because the great results everyone seams to get from lifting inspired me. Previously I was doing insanity so I was relatively fit but I really lack upper body strength ( I still struggle to do a push up!).

So far I have gained 7lb In less than a week!! I know this is water weight and I haven't had time to actually put on 7lb of fat but it's disconcerting! I was pleased to loose 10lb on insanity and I know lifting is more about the inches not the lbs but if possible I would like to achieve both as I have a lot left to loose! Do you have any advice on how I might achieve both? Should I be doing some intense cardio too? Or should I just chill out, ignore the scale and crack on with lifting which I'm really enjoying so far? I guess I just want some reassurance and advice from someone who has been successful!
  • LeashaLeash
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much, that kind of weight spike could be caused by lots of things, sudden change in workout routine, diet, sleep pattern, or could be a time of the month thing. It's just going to be water weight. My advice is to just keep on trucking. You should be able to get stronger while in a caloric deficit, especially if you're new to weight lifting. Sometimes this is a game of patience ;)

Also, as a side note, I often put on a few pounds of water right before I hit a new low in body weight. So you might have a really good weigh in next week.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Great post!!! I am reading new rules for women's lifting right now!!!! AndI am slowly adding heavier weights to my daily workouts and am loving the changes! I just am starting to get to the point of trying to organize my workouts and figure out what the best results would be, if you have any ideas, please feel free to pm me! :-)
  • ladyshellbelle
    ladyshellbelle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi chick,

I must say you look fab. I have just started using the weight room but Im not sure what to use. I need to tone the upper body especially around the middle, stomach and arms...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shell:smile:
  • GhostGIrl66
    Options
    Congrats Leashaleash, fantastic results.

I think I was very lucky with the first gym that I joined 20 something years ago - it was run by a couple of weight lifters and everyone was strongly encouraged to hit the weights floor.
    I've been an on again off again gym junkie since then but weights have always been the focus of any gym membership that I have held. Over the years I have been seeing more and more women on the weights floor which is fantastic.

Women will not bulk up doing weights without putting enormous effort into bulking up.
    There is nothing better than a strong, toned, fit body and weights training is the best way of achieving that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Great results- I've been lifting through my whole life in one way or the other. I get equal parts sad and amused by the "don't wan to bulk/look like a man" comments. <lesigh> oh well- we just keep trying!

And unfortunately no matter how many threads like this there are- someone will always be here asking if it's okay.

Tis the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Congrats on the lifting and the power meet- That should be fun for you!!!! April 1st is coming up quick!!!

I am scheduled for one in June- I think 8th.

Interested to see how it goes- I have some crunchy grindy joint issues that my body isn't happy about- but meh- oh well.

WOOT for women powerlifters. ;)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH.

Plus the scenery is always nice on the boyz side of the gym. :love:

Srsly...cardio side = watching women on treads. Weight side = watching hot men get sweaty. Yup. No brainer IMHO.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Great work sweetie, u look good.

I love seeing women back in the weights area of my gym.

Cause I hate looking at guys all the time, so yes ladies.....go and lift. :love: :love:
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Beautiful
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Can't see the photo (work restrictions :( ...)

I checked your profile photos, very nice!

I need to ask - what's with the toilet in your display picture?:laugh:

I've been debating on whether I should go back to the gym - well, find one I like because the YMCA isn't it!