Not hungry for breakfast

Options
I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but how incredibly vital is it to eat even if I'm not hungry in the mornings? Like, at this currently moment, I'm about to go make myself my morning cup of coffee, and I feel satisfied. A feeling almost like I just ate. Is it necessary to go eat something? I mean, I don't want to get into the habit of eating when I'm not hungry, but I know how important breakfast is. Thoughts??

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The timing of your meals doesn't matter. If you aren't hungry in the morning, use those calories later on. Just make sure you don't over-eat because of the skipped meal, which can easily happen.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    The timing of your meals doesn't matter. If you aren't hungry in the morning, use those calories later on. Just make sure you don't over-eat because of the skipped meal, which can easily happen.

Exactly.
  • RideRunRepeat
    RideRunRepeat Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same 'problem'...I'm just not hungry for breakfast...
  • lavender101
    lavender101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU. I've never heard this advice before (it's always been "You just woke up! EAT!!!") but it totally makes sense. I plan on bringing a snack to have probably around 10am, when I normally get hungry. Thanks so much for the clarification.
  • Sarah_Sayers
    Sarah_Sayers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry at breakfast either, I use the calories for a snack later in the day. Works for me!
  • CathyUr
    CathyUr Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm the same way. I am not hungry first thing in the morning, and my stomach gets a bit upset if I eat too early. And that is part of the reason why I'm overweight. I just got out of the breakfast habit when my kids got older (nobody else was eating, so I got lazy and didn't bother to feed myself).

I'm no expert, but those who are wouldn't be telling us to eat breakfast if it weren't a good thing to do, right? Maybe try a yogurt or a granola bar... it doesn't have to be a feast.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the breakfast is the most important meal of the day mantra is simply wrong. Eat if you're hungry, don't if you're not, but hit your calorie goals. Breakfast is always the smallest meal of the day for me.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I am not hungry first thing in the morning, and my stomach gets a bit upset if I eat too early. And that is part of the reason why I'm overweight. I just got out of the breakfast habit when my kids got older (nobody else was eating, so I got lazy and didn't bother to feed myself).

I'm no expert, but those who are wouldn't be telling us to eat breakfast if it weren't a good thing to do, right? Maybe try a yogurt or a granola bar... it doesn't have to be a feast.

That's the problem with "experts"... Just about anybody can claim to be one. I prefer science. And, surprisingly, "expertise" and science don't always go together, especially in the nutrition and fitness industry.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. Google intermittent fasting, or look for the group on here for more info.
  • minibandit
    Options
    There seems to be more evidence now that it doesn't matter when you eat - it's more about how much and the quality. I was reading something from a link here yesterday where it seems metabolism is set by your caloric intake over the day/s not by what time and frequency you eat.

I think the general thing about 'must eat breakfast' from the professionals is that delaying can make you more prone to less healthy, and more, food choices later in the day. If that isn't the case with you then there is no compelling evidence to say you 'should' eat breakfast.

When I was at work I used to feel my first hunger feeling about 10am. Now I'm at home it's about 9am. Should I try to eat before that, no matter what it is, it's like trying to swallow a lump of concrete - and that applies to some of my breakfast faves - too early and I just can't do it. My faves become a chore!

A friend of mine can't move until she eats in the morning!

I think listening to your body is key at all times. If you are hungry eat something good and healthy, if you are not hungry - don't eat!