Best protein powder?

Options
123457»

Replies

• enigmachik
    enigmachik Posts: 150
    Options
    For powders I like Optimum Nutrition. For pre-made drinks I like the EAS Carb Advantage drinks. For both brands I prefer the double chocolate, but I like their other flavors too.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    How about the plain whey isolate at Sprout's? Its a bulk health food store and I can afford 12.99 a lb!
    That's what I am using. It's inexpensive, good quality and no fillers. Some sprouts even sell coca powder in bulk so you can mix that with it.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sun Warrior... its raw and vegan!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I just stick with Optimum Nutrition. They have a hydrolyzed whey isolate (Platinum Hydro Whey) with 30 grams or protein per scoop and no lactose. It's a little pricey though.

I might try NOW's whey protein isolate unflavored, but am skeptical of the flavor.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Body By Vi for a year. At first I lost quite a bit but in total I only lost 15 pounds. It did kick me into weight loss mode and helps with my Gastroparesis and I continue to do a shake in the morning with 2 scoops but only do one scoop at lunch and I'm not hungry. I'm almost out and not buying it again because I think I've been using it as a crutch and it isn't really helping me lose weight at all just maintaining. I've now lost almost 20 pounds in the last 6 weeks since I've joined this website. I bought ISOFEMME the other day so I can still use some when I'm in a hurry since a huge issue is starving myself then over eating, anyone try that? I haven't opened it yet....
  • pams90daychallenge
    Options
    For all the folks out there. There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking and selling your own product. Can't knock people for earning a living. Why not support them instead of Walmart, GNC and Amazon! There are alot of good products out there. Find one that works for you and support your neighbors instead of BIG BOX!
  • Jess_Forever_After
    Jess_Forever_After Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    the amount of genetic modification done on soy protein is terrifying, and because of its estrogenic properties it is unsuitable for most people, especially males (those who wish to avoid developing female secondary sexual charactersitics at least) and anyone with liver/kidney/female sexual health issues. I won't post and argue over studies, it's easy enough to google.

Visalus is soy. If you care about your health, don't take it.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "Visalus is soy. If you care about your health, don't take it."

Jess,

First I've heard of this. I will be googling madly:)

Would you be kind enough to recommend a protein powder you think is safe?

brendan
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The best ones I have tried (and there's a lot of them) are Myofusion, Muscle Milk, and the best is probably Trutein (the cinnabun flavor is amazing) but it also the most expensive.
  • Jess_Forever_After
    Jess_Forever_After Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Jess,

brendan

Personally I use whey protein. I can't recommend any specific brand as I go back and forth. There isn't a 'holy grail' of protein powder, I just believe from what I have read that soy is not the best one to use.

I'm hesitant to recommend any links to research as information posted on the internet can be questionable. However, it is a fact that soy is one of the most heavily genetically modified food crops (#1 by some accounts, although I'm not sure how reliably this is measured) and it is impossible to obtain non-modified soy. It is also fact that soy has 'estrogenic' (estrogen mimicing) properties that can cause issues in both genders.

I have no issue with ViSalus as a company and I do often purchase from other multilevel marketing home-based businesses such as Scentsy and Avon.
  • brendanstallard
    Options
    "soy is one of the most heavily genetically modified food crops (#1 by some accounts, although I'm not sure how reliably this is measured) and it is impossible to obtain non-modified soy. It is also fact that soy has 'estrogenic' (estrogen mimicing) properties that can cause issues in both genders. "

Jess,

Which is exactly what got my attention from your original post.

I don't like cow's milk, and soy milk is much cheaper than almond milk, but from what research I've done and your comments I'll be spending the extra.

I veer between Muscle Milk, (a deal at Costco,) and Optimum Nutrition.

Thanks for the information.

brendan
  • brendanstallard
    Options
    The best ones I have tried (and there's a lot of them) are Myofusion, Muscle Milk, and the best is probably Trutein (the cinnabun flavor is amazing) but it also the most expensive.

AVS,

Thanks for the recommends. I'll look out for an Amazon deal on the Truetien and Myofusion, I already use Muscle Milk.

Thanks.

brendan
  • bjmurphy102
    bjmurphy102 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    exactly!! I was on body by vi for four months.....I lost four pounds, constantly had headaches, and not to mention my stomach felt as if I were eating wood chips it was trying to digest. I stopped doing "shakes" as replacements but have leaned towards having a MuscleTech Cookies n'Cream with unsweetened almond milk drink first thing in the morning. 30 g of protein and <1 g of sugar. I also carb cycle so this works out perfectly for me. as with and lifestyle do what works for YOU sometimes you have to play around but when you find it you will know. I also prefer to flavored powders so on the weekends I mix in some egg whites and some of my rolled oats and have AMAZING pancakes! Hope that this helps you on your journey!
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options

AVS,

Thanks for the recommends. I'll look out for an Amazon deal on the Truetien and Myofusion, I already use Muscle Milk.

Thanks.

brendan

VERY disappointed with Trutein recently. They rebranded and have reduced their 5 lb tubs to 4 lbs, for more money :explode: .
  • mgpearce4
    mgpearce4 Posts: 71
    Options
    FYI the GNC Whey Protein in Cookies and Cream is on sale 2 for $50 bucks on their site right now. It beats paying 47.99 for 1!
  • esy1024
    esy1024 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also do Body By Vi. Love the product, and not trying to sell it either. I do promote it though, and if you're looking to buy, you can send me a message, but I wouldn't push it on anyone.
  • esy1024
    esy1024 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Jess,

brendan

Personally I use whey protein. I can't recommend any specific brand as I go back and forth. There isn't a 'holy grail' of protein powder, I just believe from what I have read that soy is not the best one to use.

I'm hesitant to recommend any links to research as information posted on the internet can be questionable. However, it is a fact that soy is one of the most heavily genetically modified food crops (#1 by some accounts, although I'm not sure how reliably this is measured) and it is impossible to obtain non-modified soy. It is also fact that soy has 'estrogenic' (estrogen mimicing) properties that can cause issues in both genders.

I have no issue with ViSalus as a company and I do often purchase from other multilevel marketing home-based businesses such as Scentsy and Avon.

The soy in the Visalus product is a non GMO soy, in which the isoflavones (the bad stuff in soy products) has been removed. I suggest you do your research, before bad mouthing the product. I've had success doing body by vi, and I've never felt better in my life.