I Need Some Help and Encouragement

Options
Hi guys. Basically, I have lost a lot of weight since this summer due to determination and just being focused. I have since lost around 40lbs and I've dropped 2 dress sizes. However, In October my father passed away and since then, my diet has gone down the toilet. Now, I've still managed to maintain this 40lbs weight loss some how and not put anything on, but what with the stress of medical school and my father passing away, I wake up determined to stick to my restricted number of calories and I do so well, but at around lunch time and dinner time I just get so, so, so stressed! When I get stressed, I turn to food for comfort. I was eating around 1,200 calories per day before, now I'm probably eating around 2,500 calories per day. Note, I haven't gained any weight, but I would like to lose at least 50 more lbs but I want to know how any of you who knows what this feels like managed to overcome this.

I try to remember why I wanted to lose weight and the goal, but I don't know, I just get so stressed and food takes over.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It sounds like you have alot on your plate and I am so sorry to hear about your father. Times like these make it very important to figure out the balance of what you need to take care of yourself and what your goals are. If you are maintaining at 2500 cals then you found your maintenance which is a great number to know. If you are trying to eat 1200 then you are looking at over 2lbs of weight loss a week and thats ALOT considering your goals. Why don't you set yourself to a 2000 calorie target. That would set you up to lose 1lb a week. It may not sound as impressive as what you were doing, but if a higher target helps you actually stick to your plan you are still ahead in the game. That should also give you plenty of calories to work in some treat and comefort food while still reaching your goals.
  • Secretsundays
    Options
    Thank you so much. That sounds like a good idea. I guess it will help me slowly ease my way back into being motivated.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I agree. I would set a less aggressive weekly loss goal that wouldn't cause any additional stress, since it seems like you have a lot on your plate already. I would probably try to work another outlet for stress into my day, even if it's just 20 min of yoga mid-afternoon.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It's hard to concentrate when you don't have enough fuel. I agree with the above posters that you should try eating more, at least at the beginning until everything evens out. If you lose weight during this time, great; if you don't, at least you have established good habits (tracking what you eat, eating with a plan instead of indiscriminately, etc).
  • Mark0Trunnell
    Options
    I'm truly sorry for lose. I know what your going through, I lost my father and my wife just recently lost her mother.
    Find time to keep yourself busy, like workout, walk the dog or even clean the house. Busy time will help with both issues.
    When you wake up it's the first thing you think about, I know. Just keep pushing along and before you know it, it will be the second. Good luck.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss! Just try to take it day by day. I know that I would be in the same boat if my father passed away. Good luck and best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • Rogue_228
    Rogue_228 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am definately not able to help manage stress. However I found that if I pack or layout what I am going to eat for the day I do better then if I have to figure it out as I go. I have preplanned snack times and items that helps as well.
  • Secretsundays
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. You have great ideas and its very helpful. Whoever mentioned packing my food for the day, I will try that. Maybe it will help me learn some self control.