Wendler 5/3/1 Boring But Big or + Hypertrophy?

Options
I'm starting Wendler 5/3/1 next week. I can't wait to get started! I bought the Beyond 5/3/1 book to read and figure out different templates. I'm still deciding if I want to do the BBB template or go with one of the many hypertrophy templates I've seen online or in the book. My only issue with the BBB is I'm stuck doing the same basic exercises each and every week. Since I don't plan on switching from 5/3/1 for quite a while I think I will get bored as hell with just the basic four lifts with the lat work and ab work in the book. Any one done either with goals of gaining some more size with that strength? All things being equal (caloric surplus) I'd like to know what you experienced. I'm open to your opinions on making my decision.

Replies

• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jonnyc1708
    Options
    I've follower the BBB for up to 8 months in the past and seen great results in all lifts, i've recently just came back from having back surgery id been doing the typical BB style workouts the past 12-14 months but im feeling good and now currently back doing the 5,3,1 but ive choosen the Bodybuilder template.

i still do BBB and follow the down sets etc
    but afterwards i choose 3 accessory exercises and just do 4 sets 12-15 reps.

doesnt have a negative impact on my lifts etc and it keeps thing intersting in the gym
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I've follower the BBB for up to 8 months in the past and seen great results in all lifts, i've recently just came back from having back surgery id been doing the typical BB style workouts the past 12-14 months but im feeling good and now currently back doing the 5,3,1 but ive choosen the Bodybuilder template.

doesnt have a negative impact on my lifts etc and it keeps thing intersting in the gym

This. It isn't set in stone...

You can run BBB & throw in some additional assistance work if you want.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options

This. It isn't set in stone...

You can run BBB & throw in some additional assistance work if you want.

Yep. I just completed my first 6 months of 5/3/1 running on a 4 day split with accessory work each day. Limited accessory work on squat & deadlift days..more on bench & OHP days.

I like swapping out assistance work every 4-8 weeks and sometimes even day to day depending on how I feel.
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    I think that is a great idea to do the BBB and still do two or three other lifts for assistance work. Didn't think of that. I'm still getting my head around this that outside of the 5/3/1 lifts it can be totally customized. I just didn't want to get completely bored doing just the drop to 50-70% and do the same lift again for 5 sets of 10. Which I know will be a chore in it's own. Just wanting some other lifts, so this sounds great. Thanks.
  • jonnyc1708
    Options
    yeah i still do the drop sets after and then do 3 other exercises more focused on hypertrophy for whatever muscle group i was working, i lift monday tuesday, do some form of cardio on wed, lift thursday friday and then cardio saturday and rest completely on sundays
  • DeadliftAddict
    Options
    yeah i still do the drop sets after and then do 3 other exercises more focused on hypertrophy for whatever muscle group i was working, i lift monday tuesday, do some form of cardio on wed, lift thursday friday and then cardio saturday and rest completely on sundays

This is my same split.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you think you are going to get bored, try BBB 13 week challenge on page 24 of "Beyond 5/3/1" or the BBB variations starting on page 20. 5x10, 5x5, 5x3 and 5x1 at higher %.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I think that is a great idea to do the BBB and still do two or three other lifts for assistance work. Didn't think of that. I'm still getting my head around this that outside of the 5/3/1 lifts it can be totally customized. I just didn't want to get completely bored doing just the drop to 50-70% and do the same lift again for 5 sets of 10. Which I know will be a chore in it's own. Just wanting some other lifts, so this sounds great. Thanks.

Everything you just stated is why I have been running the Periodization Bible version. Also, for what its worth, I stumbled across this on a thread here at some point. I have found it very useful.
    http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
  • jonnyc1708
    Options
    i dont own a copy of the book, lost it when i moved and i just use that site to calculate
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do one of the variations of BBB. I can't tell you exactly which one it is in the book but I alternate what my BBB work is. Meaning on Squat days I do deadlifts after and swap bench and OHP. Meaning that I hit each exercise twice a week then add in a couple of other exercises after.

I have been following this for the last 16 months and have seen some great results and haven't gotten bored at all.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Heh, I've been doing the same 4-5 lifts for more than 10 years. To each his own. ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Heh, I've been doing the same 4-5 lifts for more than 10 years. To each his own. ;)

this- I don't really get bored with it- I just keep doing it- chasing bigger numbers always helps.

most programs focus around the big 4 lifts. volume- accessory lifts and minor things change- but really the lifts stay the same. I do shift focus on body parts- like for a month I'll throw more shoulder work in- or more upper glute work- if I'm feeling something is not getting the attention OR I think it could be bigger. But the big lifts- they are all the same.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I personally like the variety of the Dave Tate's periodization accessories (www.stdstr.com). I tried the BBB and got bored (shocking LOL). Really though, it all comes down to what you are going to stick to.
  • chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I personally like the variety of the Dave Tate's periodization accessories (bogus url redacted).

Just a note: I think you mean www.strstd.com The address you referenced there looks to be doing some pretty fishy stuff.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I like Boring But Big but I've found that I needed some additional core exercises to be able to progress with my squats. 5/3/1 accessories are completely customizable...
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started 5-3-1 recently and have been doing the Bodybuilding Accessory work from this web site. Not boring at all.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/hardcore-look-at-jim-wendlers-5-3-1-powerlifting-system.html

Good luck to you!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be adding to BBB. You're not "Just do the program"ing... Thats already a high volume regimen, adding to it is not a great idea.

I sure hope you're in a caloric surplus if you're doing BBB.

If ya actually read the book there is plenty of options and diversity. You say you want diversity however you choose the simplest variation with the most volume?

You can choose anything fro your assistance exercises, but, they should help the main lifts.

Read the Fing book and stop looking for permission to add volume to a high volume program.

I give you permission to do 100 sets a workout til you overtrain to injury and blow your CNS. We good?

ETA:

I do 531... sometimes I skip AMRAP when I feel good and I add 10% til failure (usually on a 3 rep week). I do SLDL or RDL on squat and DL days cuz my hams are lagging a bit. Ill also do face down leg curls and some leg raises for ab work

pullups with OHP & rows and pushups with bench

I'll switch em when I find something I need to work on.

I throw in some ****arounditis here and there but its never taxing and is always high rep metabolic work.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I personally like the variety of the Dave Tate's periodization accessories (www.strstd.com).

Just a note: I think you mean www.strstd.com The address you referenced there looks to be doing some pretty fishy stuff.

LMAO you're right. I fixed it.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    If you really wanna add some volume look into adding some frequency training during the day.

See Greyskull LP for details.. or just google it.. I do it while bulking and it doesnt seem to hinder recovery.