Fruitarians

Options
Are there fruitarians here? What vitamins do you take and did you lose weight?
I wanna be a fruitarian because I love fruits than veggies...

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • andreyadonna
    Options
    Being a fruitarian requires a lot of careful balance. It's difficult to get all the proper nutrients that you need just off of fruit unless you live in an area where the local ecosystem naturally has a wide variety of fruit. You should discuss with a Doctor before making a decision as exclusive as being a fruitarian.
  • Miansun
    Miansun Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you!:)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    umm, Fruitarians eat vegetables too
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm wrong BUT I believe being fruitarian involves only eating the fruits when they fall off the plant? This is extremely challenging and difficult to accomplish, and pretty extreme. Just eat whatever you want at a calorie deficit and that will help you lose weight. When you get good at this start tracking your macros (carbs, proteins, fats).
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_n2eukwXowN1qivjd0.gif

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm going to pretend you are a member of the Jain religion because otherwise I think this is a terrible idea.

Let's assume that, for deeply held religious and personal convictions, you need to switch to eating only fruit. Okay, in that case you should probably first start with going vegetarian. Then vegan. Then raw vegan. Then fruititarian. At each stage, as you get more restrictive, you will be able to tell the changes in your body and health as a relation to the foods you are cutting out. If you take a hit going to vegetarian, it's probably iron and B12. If you take a hit going vegan, it's probably protein and essential amino acids. If you take a hit going raw vegan or fruititarian, it is probably vitamins and not enough fats/protein which you can't really fix because that's the gist of the diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    And how exactly are you going to go about getting your requisite fats and protein? Those are kind of essential and stuff to proper nutrition.

To make this even remotely healthy you're going to have to have a pretty vast knowledge of nutrition in order to meet all of your requirements, and you're likely to require a good deal of supplementation...seems stupid to me to have a diet that requires a bunch of supplements to actually be "healthy"...really though, this is pretty dangerous and there are a number of individuals who have gotten very sick and hospitalized doing this (including some Hollywood celebs)...because, you know...they don't know **** about proper nutrition and end up not getting proper nutrition...which pretty much leads to malnutrition.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    and this is why we have the Darwin awards
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    In for possible Paleo vs Fruitarian throw down.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You say you love fruits more than veggies. I assume you like other stuff too (bread,meat,cheese etc)?

Why not just eat the foods you DO like, include lots of (but don't restrict to) fruits and this way manage to get a relatively healthy mix?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Being a fruitarian isn't healthy. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get all the proper nutrients that you need just off of fruit EVEN IF you live in an area where the local ecosystem naturally has a wide variety of fruit. because humans are primates and primates need other foods besides fruit to get enough amino acids

^^^^^^ fixed it for you

If you don't believe me, ask a primatologist. If a zookeeper fed monkeys or apes a fruit only diet, he or she would get done for animal neglect and cruelty. Additionally, there's a brain-for-body size correlation with diet in primates. As in the larger the brain, the more animal protein the primate eats, with humans having the largest brains for their body size and eating the most animal protein, followed by chimpanzees, which eat small mammals as well as insects, and have the next largest brain-for-body size. additionally, insect eating primates (i.e. those who get their aminos from insects) have bigger brains (compared to body size) than leaf eating primates. (btw humans don't have the digestive apparatus to get amino acids from leaves, so that won't supplement a fruitarian diet)

I'm the first to criticise anyone who tries to say fruit is bad for humans, because most primates eat fruit for vitamins, minerals, carbohydrate and fibre. But primates need to eat either animal protein (usually insects) or leaves to get amino acids and fat, and humans can't get them from leaves. And humans need more fats than other primates because of our large brains. A vegan diet is possible only with an advanced enough level of agriculture to grow plant foods containing enough fat and protein in large enough quantities for humans to get protein from them alone, and even then supplementation with vitamin B12 is necessary. But a fruitarian diet eliminates even those few plant foods that are high enough in protein to sustain a human if eaten in sufficient quantities, because none of these plant foods are fruits.

vegan diet = just about possible with careful balancing, access to modern technology and vitamin B12 supplements

fruitarian diet = dangerous
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    You say you love fruits more than veggies. I assume you like other stuff too (bread,meat,cheese etc)?

Why not just eat the foods you DO like, include lots of (but don't restrict to) fruits and this way manage to get a relatively healthy mix?

because it's far too logical and easy, that's why....

OP you're a primate, yes eat as much fruit as you want, but please eat some other foods as well to get enough fat and amino acids. take your pick: eggs, dairy, meat, fish, beans, tofu, lentils, insects (if you really really want to, chimps love them and our palaeolithic ancestors would have eaten them and even some modern hunter-gatherers still eat them).... but you can't get enough fat or amino acids from fruit only!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I sure hope you are supplementing or you are going to be malnourished in some areas and it will eventually make you very sick.

I am speaking from personal experience.

You are not giving your body balanced nutrition in no shape, form or fashion.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm going to pretend you are a member of the Jain religion because otherwise I think this is a terrible idea.

Let's assume that, for deeply held religious and personal convictions, you need to switch to eating only fruit. Okay, in that case you should probably first start with going vegetarian. Then vegan. Then raw vegan. Then fruititarian. At each stage, as you get more restrictive, you will be able to tell the changes in your body and health as a relation to the foods you are cutting out. If you take a hit going to vegetarian, it's probably iron and B12. If you take a hit going vegan, it's probably protein and essential amino acids. If you take a hit going raw vegan or fruititarian, it is probably vitamins and not enough fats/protein which you can't really fix because that's the gist of the diet.

There's no chance of me going fruitarian (although I understood it to be fruit that falls (or would fall from the plant) so in effect fruit that can be harvested without killing/harming the plant/tree.
    Would the fats/proteins not comes from nuts and seeds which are relatively high in these things??

I have memories of a program that looked at going entirely vegetarian without the use of tofu etc that get substituted now a days and the amount of fruit that had to be eaten raw was unbelievable and the people that took part in it, their digestive system just couldn't cope with it (squirty bottoms all round after day 2), Vit b12 was a big issue as it is not available in any fruit and some of the essential fatty acids again are not found in fruit (both are however found in animal meat), I know that majority of nutritions say that children and teens should not use it and adults should not be on it for any period of time!!

Personally not for me, would take far too much time researching and balancing, I'll stick with what we have evolved into:)
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    From the movie Nottinghill:

William: And, ah, what exactly is a fruitarian?
    Keziah: We believe that fruits and vegetables have feelings, so we think cooking is cruel. We only eat things that've actually fallen off a tree or bush- that are, in fact, dead already.
    William: Right, right. Interesting stuff. So, these carrots...?
    Keziah: Have been murdered, yes.
    William: Murdered? Poor carrots. How beastly!

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on the diet but here is a great video showing how a Fruitarian gets to work each day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tQA3Tvkg_s
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I would advise against fruitarianism for any large brained primate. For smaller brained primates that have the necessary digestive system adaptations to extract a sufficient amount of amino acids from leaves, fruit and leaf "arian" diet would be adequate. For large brained primates that lack such adaptations, an additional source of amino acids and essential fatty acids is necessary in the diet, such as insects or small mammals.

You are a large brained primate and you don't have the ability to get enough amino acids from leaves. You can't survive on a fruitarian diet. Because primate biology.

Of course if you're not a large brained primate...
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    just saw that this is a zombie thread and I already said the same things before lol
  • brokentide
    brokentide Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Look up Denise Minger and her criticism of the fruitarian diet (and the dental damage that she caused to herself as a fruitarian when she was younger)