cutting alcohol

Options
I am a 49 year old fitness instructor - have been an instructor for 16 years now - and have never, EVER had to worry with weight gain. During the last year I have steadily put on 20 pounds, with the same work schedule, etc. However, I am also going through menopause. After pouring over and over changes in my lifestyle during the past year, I realize I have gone from drinking a glass or two of wine a few times a week to almost a bottle a night! I've always loved my red wine but never had this problem in the past. My husband travels quite a bit and it's just took easy to come home to an empty house, pop open a bottle of shiraz and before i know it the whole thing is gone! Question is . . . . what do I do in the evenings instead? Drinking wine has become such a habit in the evenings. I need to find something else to occupy myself instead of pouring from a wine bottle. I'm hoping that cutting out the alcohol will take care of most of the weight gain. Anyone else been through this??

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I really sympathise.

It is a habit that can happen very quickly before you know it.

I am very similar, I do not think about red wine at any part of the day until about 7pm. In fact I can sometimes not get home from tennis until 9.30 - not once thinking about a glass (or bottle) of wine and then from nowhere the thought enters my head and that's it the bottles open.

I'm not sure what to suggest - except I have recently gone low car high fat and have successfully cut out the normal junk food I was eating in the evening (crisps, pizza, milk chocolate, cookies - peanuts).

However I hadn't quite managed to ditch the wine, although on Monday evening I decided not to have a glass (as sometimes as glass leads to 2, and then eventually the bottle). So I have not had any wine since Monday and feeling okay.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for some tips.

Good luck.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Logging it, along with all your other foods helps put things in perspective. In my mind, it's similar to considering a financial budget. If you have so many calories per day, is it worth it to spend a few hundred on wine or would you rather spend it on real food instead. Not sure how active you are with your instructing but working out a bit more would earn you extra calories to help too. Going back to the monetary comparison, it's like earning overtime or extra from a side job - then you can afford little extra indulgences.

I've definitely cut down my drinking since I've started this. Used to drink nearly every night but now it's pretty rare for me - mostly stick to special occassions like when I meet up with my besties or go to a party. It's a bit easier to avoid this time of year but summer can be difficult with BBQs and the like.

There are a lot of other things you can do to fill your time in other ways - pick up hobbies, take classes, volunteer, etc.
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Diane, i sympathize as well. Obviously it is not an addiction, but it is a very strong habit.

I used to drink eight beers a day, I did so for thirty-five years. When I got serious about losing weight, I replaced the beer with seltzer water. I exchanged a cold 12 ounce can of one fizzy beverage for another. That works great for me. I still have four or five beers a week now.

Is there a similar one-for-one exchange you could do? Good luck to you.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    :drinker: in for tips
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar issue. I am the same age. I truly love red wine. It does easily become a nightly habit. I am trying this...only drink on the weekends. That's Friday and Saturday night. Replace the wine in your hand with a wine glass of seltzer or something else. Or, have tea. It's often just having something in your hand that is needed. Put the bottles out of sight too. Make them harder to get to.
    Try it with me. It's almost the weekend so have nothing tonight. Have 1 or 2 glasses on Friday and Saturday and then start again on Sunday with no wine for the week til Friday.
  • cardosium
    cardosium Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are using wine to comfort you due to your loneliness. I am not judging you, I had the same problem with chocolate and cakes... Get sugar to make me feel better about my depression... That was in the past, though. I am still tempted at times to take out on food when I am anxious but then I stop myself (most times) by acknowledging what's going on. Sometimes it's all about dealing with true emotions rather than mask them with food or drink or whatever. Facing up to it worked with me and from what I have found it has worked with many people as well. I guess there is comfort eating and comfort drinking!

Positive things would be reading, joining a club and making new friends, getting a pet to keep you company, watching films, finding an online game or wii game you like and play it.... Any hobby really.

If you can't stop at one or two glasses you could drink something non alcoholic but that will still feel like a treat: home made fruit juice, a smoothie, a hot chocolate...

I think if you find a way of sorting out the loneliness feeling you won't need all that wine any more. You can do it :) Especially if you are a fitness instructor... You know full well what we can be capable of if we truly put in the effort :)
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 55 and went through the same thing as you. I didn't have a weight problem until around 48 yrs old. I would sip wine while preparing dinner and by bedtime had drank 3-4 glasses. The pounds came on quickly. Now I save the wine for after dinner and allow myself 6-7 oz each evening. I log the calories. I measure 2-3 oz at a time. It was easy to do this once I was aware of the calories. The pounds came off easily. Best wishes on your journey.
  • sapicsr
    sapicsr Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel, I drink about the same amount. In the past 5 years I put on approximately 25lbs and I attribute that to my pleasure in drinking wine and Jamison. One of my hobbies is making wine so I have plenty on stock. I know the only way for me to lose the weight is to reduce the amount of alcohol I intake. I have just started using these message boards to connect with people to help motivate each other to change our lifestyles and meet our goals. All feel free to send me a friend request hopefully we can help each other out.
  • LeahNMe
    LeahNMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's almost the weekend so have nothing tonight. Have 1 or 2 glasses on Friday and Saturday and then start again on Sunday with no wine for the week til Friday.
    ^this is what I had decided this morning I was going to have to do.
    I am so glad I am not alone in this. In fact I just made a blog post about this today. Wine is just so easy to drink, and even tho I am staying in my calories, I just think that every night is not helping me.
    I am going to try the weekends only and see if that will help jump start my weight loss. Thank God I made that decision on a Thursday! ;0)
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking outright December 21st. I would have a couple of cocktails every night, wine occasionally and when i went out it could be significantly more.
    A bottle of Wine a night is a significant amount (if you know the UK system it's about 12 units of alcohol and the recommended daily level is 3-4 a day - no saving up for weekend binges lol) a bottle should yield 4-5 glasses so a largish glass of wine is the daily target
    If you want to cut alcohol all together try drinking seltzer with bitters. and decent cocktail supply store will have a tone of different bitters to add flavour. Or make you own (I make cherry bitters and add them to my sparkling water for variety, and when I go out to a club or restaurant I drink soda with Bittters (usually the selection is angostura or maybe peychaud....good bars and restaurants will have a selection and maybe make their own)
    I'd also look into going out and doing something different socially on those nights you are left alone since that is a trigger. Hit a movie with a friend, put some more time in at the Gym, Take a long walk....
  • thrashkb
    thrashkb Posts: 8
    Options
    I've always been a weekend drinker. I don't drink during the week, but I tend to drink quite a bit on the weekends (every weekend). This never became a weight problem for me until the last few years. I broke my heel and became sedentary because it never healed properly (age contributed as well I'm sure). So i finally had surgery which was hard to recover from all the while still drinking and putting on the pounds. I'm not Catholic, but a friend bet me that I couldn't go through Lent without drinking. So far so good - not a drop since March 5th. Yeah its not that long without drinking but it is for ME! I'm hoping this will help me drink maybe one weekend a month or something after Lent.
  • jnr2012
    jnr2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar issue. I am the same age. I truly love red wine. It does easily become a nightly habit. I am trying this...only drink on the weekends. That's Friday and Saturday night. Replace the wine in your hand with a wine glass of seltzer or something else. Or, have tea. It's often just having something in your hand that is needed. Put the bottles out of sight too. Make them harder to get to.
    Try it with me. It's almost the weekend so have nothing tonight. Have 1 or 2 glasses on Friday and Saturday and then start again on Sunday with no wine for the week til Friday.

I didn't read all the responses, but the ones I did were good. This post above that I quoted is what worked best for me though.

I drink wine not just because I love it but I like to have something to drink or eat at all times. Water, tea, soda, etc. Except I don't like water or tea very much and refuse to drink much soda. I started finding other replacements like flavored water or tea with sweetener adn I have a variety of teas so I can't get bored.

I know it sounds dumb, but I also have a 7 year old who likes to be like me so she has a plastic wine glass for our nice Sunday dinners that she drinks her Grape juice or what not out of. One night, I decided that I love everything about win,e including the glasses... I poured Light Grape Juice (White) into a wine glass and drank it with her. It was really cute and curbed my desire to put alcohol in the glass. Sounds cheesy, but small swaps can help.

I now maybe have one glass during the week and will drink one night on a weekend. This is down from 5-6 nights a week..
  • mombie2six
    mombie2six Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I, too, have gained weight from what I believe was too much alcohol. I went through something very difficult that led to major marital issues back in October, and in from then until now I have gained 10 pounds. I have a small frame, so the tens pounds makes me feel huge. The only thing that's changed is nightly drinking since October. I've recognized it's a problem and have cut WAY back and so far I'm only down a pound and a half. It's a start though. It's far too easy to drink away a days worth of calories, so actually counting those calories out in your head is a good idea. Good luck to everyone that's cutting back. :)
  • mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Most people will have their drinks later in the day. I check MyFitnessPal: if the calories from the drink I am contemplating will put me over my limit, I pass. Staying under my limit means more to me than having the drink. I take immense pride in beating my daily calorie goal.

I know this won't work for everyone, but it works for me.