Help! Where am I going wrong???

Options
I'm a 5'7" male 350 pounds. I've been going to the gym 5-6 days a week doing Cardio and weight training (weight lifting). I watch my calories I'm supposed to eat 2200 a day but since i started at the gym 6 weeks ago I stay between 1500-1800 Calories. I'm not seeing results and the scale isn't showing it either. I do not eat junk food and I don't drink anything but water. I do 1 hour of cardio a night and about an hour and a half of weight training with a program I got from a trainer. Am I doing something wrong? my goal is to get to 250. I don't see it on the scale because the scale stops at 300 so maybe I have lost? Everyone says I'm slimming up but the only place i notice it is in my ankle/legs my boots now close all the way. Please any suggestions, ideas, and help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? If not do that and also measure your progress by measurements and not just the # on the scale.

In all honesty, you probably need to eat more...

Read this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=short+sweet+<span class=

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So you are not losing weight or you don't know if you are losing weight? Find a different scale, maybe one at the gym???
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Open your diary! :)

Do you use a measuring tape to track your size progress? When your body changes, you see it every day and it is really hard to just "notice." It helps so much to measure and record inches every week or so.

Also that much exercise seems outrageous to me. With 2.5 hours a day and 1500 calories? How do you even have any energy o__o Are you measuring with a food scale? You might need to eat more or you might be eating more than you think.
  • danp1962
    danp1962 Posts: 3
    Options
    could the weight lifting be building muscle ,it is heavier than fat and that could be the scale issue....are you doing waist measurements ? try that other than the scale for a few weeks and see,,,,, good luck bro .
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and progress photos. It sounds like you're losing fat if things are fitting looser and people say you're slimming up. You tend to not notice changes in your own body because you see yourself every day. And maybe get a scale that goes up to your weight range.....

Eat what you're told to eat. Undereating like that could slow your metabolism, decrease testosterone production, increase cortisol production, and eat into muscle mass over time. I know you want the weight to come off fast, but going slower will give you much better odds of keeping it off permanently.
  • MindainVA83
    MindainVA83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I joined the gym a month ago, but the number on the scale goes up and down by 3lbs. It's frustrating. Everyone says the same, they can see I'm still slimming. I haven't taken measurements yet, but a trainer at my gym said the same thing. He said it can take about 8 weeks before the number really starts moving b/c you're building muscle.
    Hope that helps, keep it up!!
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your scale only goes to 300 but you are 350 so how do you know you are doing something wrong? I mean you have to lose 50lbs before you scale will show it. You could track your progress until then by taking measurements of e.g. hips, waist, chest, neck, thigh and arm.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more! I eat 1500-1600 calories a day and I'm 5'6" 155 female. Try to stick to your 2200. It sounds like you're incredibly active and your body NEEDS the fuel to keep you going.

I agree with previous posters, too. Take measurements and photos of yourself.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to say and I see another poster said it - Are you using a food scale? Weigh everything!!! It's eye opening.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale that goes above 300. Find one that goes up to 400 or so - they're not that expensive. How do you know you're doing anything wrong if you can't really measure if you've lost weight? And yes, as others have said, take measurements.

Or do you feel you should've lost the 50 pounds by now that would put you below 300 so you could see it on the scale? How long have you been working on losing weight? 50 pounds will take awhile to come off if you do it sustainably.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, get a scale that can read your weight. Second, how long have you been logging food for as you just joined this month. It takes time to lose weight. Also, if your goal is 2200, you really should be aiming to eat higher calories. It's ok now since you are heavy, but if you suppress calories over time, you will have some metabolic adaptation as you body will be forced to become more efficient.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting? People are so obsessed with numbers on a scale. Do you feel better? Are your clothes fitting better? Weight lifting will suck everything in. Muscle will burn more fat. Keep it up. Make sue to get enough protein.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Seriously man, buy a scale that will track your weight or be diligent about taking measurements. Pick your poison but if you are trying to just eyeball 2-3 lbs loss over a week progress on a 350 body then good luck with that. If you are doing everything you say you are and with the intake you are recording then there is no way you are dropping weight.
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Alreay said but I agree - hit your calorie goal each day. What you are eating is a lot lower than what MFP is recommending so your body may not be reacting due to that
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can probably eat way more than that to lose weight. You have a lot to lose though so it's not such a huge deal if you have a big deficit, but just make sure it's sustainable long term... that's why it's better to keep a more reasonable deficit... So, eat your 2200.

And yes you're losing weight, no question about it. I wouldn't even buy a scale at this point, there's no way you're not losing while eating so little.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most people have said.
    -Either get a scale to track your progress or go by measurements.
    - buy a food scale and use it! You will be amazed at how off you are simply eye-balling your portions
    - eat more! Especially protein. 1800 cals when you are working out 2.5 hours a day is not enough!!! Your body will think its starving and cling on to every last calorie you feed it. Once it knows it will be properly nourished you will see a difference. Add a chicken breast, can of tuna or protein shake twice daily into you meals.
    - Keep at it! You sound like you are on the right track to making positive changes.

Good luck to you!
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If what you say is true... It is physically impossible for you not to be losing weight. You're at a very significant calorie deficit(1500-2000 a day using rough calcs on the web). That equates to a 1 pound every 1.5-2.5 days (whether it be muscle or fat, who knows). You are losing weight. The fact that you said your boots fit better should prove that too you. Buy a scale that actually measures above your current weight and you can see it.
  • mpderksen
    Options
    Not all calories are created equal. 2000 of carbs will affect your body differently than 2000 of protein. Ratios DO matter. Not only that, but getting the fuel into your body at regular internals are important. 5 x 500 calories are far better than a single, 2000 calorie meal. You have to keep the fire burning. "protein burns in a carb fire". Just enough carbs from whole foods to keep the pilot light on. If you are adding the workouts, add additional food to give your body what it needs to recover. A very general guideline is to put back about half of what you burn from exercise, and don't go below the daily recommendation. Bad things happen when you go too low. This isn't Biggest Loser, this is LIFE, where you want to live a long and healthy life.
    If your target is 2200, daily, (which is already calculated for weight loss), and you spend 1000 in the gym, then hit 2700 that day, spread over multiple meals. With quality food, you should feel like you are eating all the time. Munch an apple with a cheese stick, or a small pile of almonds. graze all day. My wife lost all 40 pounds before ever working out (now she does CrossFit with me) and it seems like she is ALWAYS snacking on something, but it's never a processed carb.
    If you can spring for it, get a Vivofit, FitBit or Up. They track output, generally, and the food log is your input. Combined you get a clearer picture of your overall balance. All of these numbers are guidelines, so you need to find your own sweetspot, but you are now an athlete, and need fuel. As long as you are strong on veggies, some fruit, lean meat and minimal dairy, (along with all that water), your body WILL change for the better. I suspect you didn't gain it all in 6 weeks, so give it some time to reset.
    Don't focus on just one number, focus on health and the weight will take care of itself. Lots of skinny, unhealthy people out there. I want to be the 70 year old that is out there dancing with the Bridesmaids at my granddaughter's wedding someday (and she's not even born yet), not the 70 year old hunched in a corner that is in too much pain to move.
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    could the weight lifting be building muscle ,it is heavier than fat and that could be the scale issue....are you doing waist measurements ? try that other than the scale for a few weeks and see,,,,, good luck bro .

muscle and fat weigh the same
  • canadafats
    Options
    I also wanted to say and I see another poster said it - Are you using a food scale? Weigh everything!!! It's eye opening.

My digital food scale is awesome! You don't know portion sizes UNTIL you start weighing your food. Is it a pain in the *kitten*? YES! Is it worth it to gain the knowledge of how much you are eating? ABSOLUTELY! Looks like you are doing things right.