Couch to 5k results? I've just started week 2...

Options
Hi everyone, I'm Annie and I'm aiming to lose about 1.5 stone by the end of July? At the moment I have a gym membership at my uni but this expires soon and I'll be going home for Easter. I've started the couch to 5k programme as I'm hoping it will be fairly easy to continue doing at home (I'll just be swapping pretty woods in Sussex to ugly roads in Berkshire).

I've just started week 2. How have people found the programme for weight loss? I know it's not intended as a weight loss programme but I'm interested to see if anyone has had any positive results with just this programme :)? And around what week they started noticing changes :) ?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I started using C25K about ten months ago, and now train five runs per week to between 35 and 40 km per week.

Weight loss is about eating fewer calories than you expend, so if you're eating too much it doesn't matter what phys you do. Notwithstanding that I've lost a stone and significantly reduced body fat with a moderate deficit and some cross training on top of the running.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Just be careful that you don't over eat once you get going on the running. You can only lose weight if you are diligent about accurately logging the run and your calorie intake. Many people become super hungry once they start running. That said...I was in your shoes 4 years ago and am now addicted to running long distances.
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I first completed c25k a couple years ago and I lost about 10 pounds in the process. I still run several times a week! Keep up with it!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I had always been strick about tracking my food but not so great with my work outs. I have always want to be "a runner" but could never push through the pain of the shin splints or push past hard to breath moments until last year. I had attemped the C25K probram probalby 3 times before I got really serious about it last year.

I've lost about 30lbs since I started running last year and I'm up to 4-5 miles now. I'm still slow but it made such a HUGE difference in my weight loss. Plus, the more I lose the better my runs get.

I can finally call myself a runner and I still love to challenge myself every time I get outside! Running in general burns a ton of calories and builds awesome leg muscles.

Personally, I have found that most of the time I am not hungry at all after a good run....but that's just me!

I say, keep going! Even if you don't lose a pound from running....you're making your body do something you never thought it could!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I started C25k before I found MFP. Didn't change my eating habits at all, in fact, I probably ate more. So I didn't lose any weight, but lost a few inches! Running, even at my slow pace, has been great for toning!
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have just started Week 5. I love this training. When I started, it was so difficult to jog more than 30 seconds without feeling like I was going to be sick. Now I can jog for much longer periods of time (I did a light jog for about 19 minutes the other night). It definitely helps with being able to jog/run longer amounts of time and distances. One thing I've noticed is that I am gaining a lot more muscle in my legs, which added to my weight at first, but I'm also keeping track of my food intake, so I have started losing again. Good luck!
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through week 7 and I've lost 7-8 lbs since I started, but I agree with the above, weight loss is about making sure calories in < calories out. I also do some moderate strength training and I'm pretty diligent about my food, so I'm right on pace with where I planned to be.
    I started noticing the weight coming off the first week, but I had already been doing some cardio videos at home the first few weeks. I started c25k because I got bored staying in one place all the time. (Also, I am a lifetime running hater and I thought it would be a fun challenge.)
    Good luck to you!
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    :smile: I've just restarted week 2, i was annoyed that i had to pay for week 3 etc so stopped. How silly, I missed it. Tried to continue on my own but lacked the focus. So, I've paid my £1.99 and start week 2 again on Saturday. I'm slowly becoming addicted. I run Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, and do Jillian Michael dvds x2 and a pilates session on Friday.
    Weightwise Im pretty stable, but Im toning up nicely.