When should I expect to plateau? How do I get out of it?

Options
If I stay on my diet and fitness plan, and it's working, will I ever actually see a plateau in my losses? I've lost 35 pounds without one so far. If I do see one later on, how can I get out of it and back to losing what I'm accustomed to losing per week?

Thanks for your opinions, everyone.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    plateau= nice way of saying you are eating at maintenance because you are not logging accurately.

If you log accurately by weighing solids, measuring liquids and choosing the right entries and eating back correct exercise calories you wont plateau.

I have been at this for over a year in total and have yet to stop losing weight....

If you do stop for a couple of months it's time to reasses you logging...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    A plateau is generally a made up term for people who think they are following the right weight loss lines but actually arent so blame the 'plateau' rather than themselves for lack of weight loss. If one eats at a calorie deficit, they will lose weight. If they dont, they will 'plateau' or put on weight.

I never experienced a 'plateau' when I was losing weight. It is not a standard rule of weight loss programmes, only for those who are underestimating calories and/or overestimating exercise and so not eating at a calorie deficit.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    What they both said ^^^^. The only times I have plateaued is when I got lazy with logging, whether it be to not log at all, or stop weighing/measuring my food. Once I got back on track with logging, started losing again.
  • soozy_q
    soozy_q Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have experienced them. At the time I was weighing ALL my food and stuck to my goal religiously. Three weeks later lost lots of lbs all in a few days. If you know you are being honest with yourself and have taken into account the lower calorie intake you will need after you lose more and more weight and are weighing all your food but are still stuck it's just a matter or sticking with it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have experienced them. At the time I was weighing ALL my food and stuck to my goal religiously. Three weeks later lost lots of lbs all in a few days. If you know you are being honest with yourself and have taken into account the lower calorie intake you will need after you lose more and more weight and are weighing all your food but are still stuck it's just a matter or sticking with it.

3 weeks is not a plateau....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

3 weeks is not a plateau....

Yep, this. I have 2-3 weeks stalls every month... it's not a plateau. Typically it's linked to periods. Men have it easier.

I haven't had any plateau.
  • quietair
    quietair Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    plateau= nice way of saying you are eating at maintenance because you are not logging accurately.

If you log accurately by weighing solids, measuring liquids and choosing the right entries and eating back correct exercise calories you wont plateau.

I have been at this for over a year in total and have yet to stop losing weight....

If you do stop for a couple of months it's time to reasses you logging...

This makes sense. Mathematically it seems impossible to stop losing weight when you have more going out than coming in. I'm new to this though, hence the question. Thanks again. :)
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As long as you reevaluate your dietary goals every now and then as you drop weight, you won't plateau. People tend to not realize that their daily intake requirement changes (for the less) as they lose weight. So what was once a deficit, is now maintenance. Thus they "plateau".