SO trying to gain weight.

Options
Hey, my SO is 6 feet tall (183Cm) and weighs 118lbs (54Kg). He's trying to put on weight. He wants to get to 140lbs (64Kg). I'm currently trying to lose weight so our dinners are quite entertaining these days. We're doing fine with balancing foods when we are eating at home. Our problem is that he works 8-9 hours a day, and during that time he's constantly moving and doing things. It's becoming an issue because on the days he isn't at work he is eating to his goals just fine. On the days he's working we can't get him within 1000 calories of his goal. He's supposed to be eating something like 2600 calories before exercise. When he is at work he isn't getting time to sit down and eat a proper meal.
What I'd like to know is if anyone has quick foods that pack a punch. Something he can eat quickly in the five seconds that he has between doing things. All help appreciated!

Replies

• Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    Those cheddar crackers with the peanut butter filling taste great, maybe if he has sandwiches for lunch have him put avocado on it, protein shakes so he doesn't necessarily have to stop and eat, or even slim fast, breakfast essentials, yoohoo, ovaltine, things of that nature.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The above is great advice. Also, how about a big bag of trail mix or granola, beef jerky, etc. Does he have access to a refrigerator? If so, greek yogurt with walnuts and honey or peanut butter. A favorite snack of mine is a can of tuna mixed with 1/4 avocado and 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt, or hard boiled eggs with avocado and tomato.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    8 ounce bottles of Ensure nutrition shake = 250 calories each. (or other brand like Boost)

Almonds. A large handful for me, about 30 almonds, is nearly 200 calories.

Agree with granola bars, beef jerky and trail mix mentioned above.
  • andreyadonna
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's so hard for him. I'm trying to make it less stressful.
  • aleiatheenchanted
    Options
    Nuts!! Very fattening yet so healthy. My friend wants to gain weight too but she just can't. I wish I can give them some of my fat. LOlz... ^___^
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady when all else fails. Every few weeks, if there is no real gain, increase calories by another hundred per day or on workout days (always taking activity burns into account).
  • deksgrl
    Options
    What are the chances he could find a less physically active job? I know, difficult thing to consider.

Raisins = 434 calories per cup.

Whole Wheat Crackers = 180 calories / 10 crackers (with peanut butter adds more cals)

After dinner ice cream every night?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    There are some brands of protein bars that are higher calorie, he'd have to experiment to find one he likes. What kind of job does he work? Does he get a lunch break? Also, things like full fat cheeses can be cut up so he can grab one as he walks by. Nuts, avocado, peanut butter/crackers, etc.

ETA: Also, what about doing something similar to calorie cycling? If he's short on calories on work days, just add more calories to the days he doesn't work. Look at weekly averages rather than daily averages.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Cheese / Crackers / Pepperoni
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Jar of peanut butter + spoon = quick, easy, calorie dense snack
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    When he's at work, would he be able to grab and eat something every hour or so? Things like peanut butter crackers, string cheese, a Snickers? Those all take maybe 5 minutes to eat and would have between 80 and 250 calories each. He could get an extra 500-1000 calories easily without having to stop for an actual meal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    um
    doritos and a soda are like 3-400 calories
    nutty butty bars are a bajillion calories.

he doesn't need MORE food- he needs more calorie dense food- start buying cheap prepacked foods for kids.
  • andreyadonna
    Options
    I wish it were that easy JoRocks. He is not a fan of junk food.
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    Does he have a MFP account to see how much he's actually eating? Up the carbs for him. If he's like my husband after work he's hopefully got a huge appetite if his job is labor intensive. When my husband wanted to gain weight, there was a lot of alfredo involved lol. Sometimes I make him a burrito for lunch too, pack it with steak, beans, rice, sour cream, cheese and guac and that sucker is good for over 1000 calories lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wish it were that easy JoRocks. He is not a fan of junk food.

well everyone likes something that comes pre-packaged. Find what it is and have that.

I mean ultimately he either wants to gain weight or he doesn't- I eat stuff I'm not fond of all the time- because I need to make sure I get all the stuff I need for the day- yes I eat delicious stuff I love- but there are days when I don't have access- I was ill prepared or I just didn't care- so I buy the thing that gets it done and shove it down the gullet. Find something moderately palletable and have him eat that- when it comes to weight gain- "quality" is 100% secondary to "quantity"