Polar HRM Ft 7

Options
2»

Replies

• merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So I've been looking into getting a heart rate monitor.
    The polar ft7 I've heard was the best, but I wanted MFP input. Does anyone have this?

Do heart rate monitors show how many cals you've burned? Do you only wear during exercise?

Is there any better/more accurate hrms I should look into??

Thanks for any input :)

Not going to read through everything lol.

I had an FT7 which was great but I quickly upgraded to the FT80 for added features. I now have mine synced to a footpod so that I can see my speed and distance on my watch.

HRMs do show you how many calories you've burned and you can wear it all day if you'd like. You'd have to keep the belt a little wet throughout the day. I've worn mine for 4 hours straight before and it kept recording. I know someone who wore his for 24 hours to get his actual BMR.

I love Polar. I wish it worked with MFP but you can add all your runs in so it's no big deal. If your going to buy a polar for running I suggest at least getting an FT80 just because you can network it with other equipment like the footpod and because it does a few other things that the FT7 doesn't do. It doesn't have an onboard GPS for distance that's why I bought the footpod. There is another piece of equipment you can buy for it that is a GPS for distance and speed but I didn't get that.

HRMs are pretty awesome. Polar is a good name and I love mine.

Good luck
  • merlewalton
    Options
    Oh and you can get a men's or women's watch. My friend I spoke about before bought one of the women's watches just because that's the color scheme he liked... or it was the one available... I can't remember honestly.

He specifically looked into that because he wasn't sure. Polar said that it doesn't matter what you buy and I do believe it asks if your a male or female when you set it up I could check for you if you want (and I might not come back to the blog so if you want inbox me.)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had the FT4 and now use the ft7. I can't run with out it.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and I like it very much. I believe the only difference between the FT4 and FT7 is that the 7 can be connected to a computer (the cable is sold seperately and runs about $50).

Also in my expierence, you don't have to wet down the chest strap. I think it just tells you to do that to get a better connection.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    FT7 is perfect for fitness. I am on my second one now! I wear it during work-outs/sports and let it run on for about 10 minutes after my work-outs during the cooldown period and turn it off when my heartrate normalizes. The body is still buring hot during that time. You can also buy an alternate "soft strap" that, for me, works better. Look on Amazon and pick one up if it appeals to you.

Good luck!
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had the FT4 and now use the ft7. I can't run with out it.

what have you noticed as the difference between the two?
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yep I have one and I love it.

Given myself the shivers a few times if I water that chest strap with out testing the water first though...
  • merlewalton
    Options
    I used to wet it with a papertowel because I didn't know you could submerge it and couldn't get a connection. I bought my first one used with a new strap and thought it was broken. I saw on polar's website to actually wet the strap sensor area under a faucet... did that... worked like a charm.

I'm sure different people have had different experiences but now I just wet mine down with a sink and put it on.

One nice thing about the FT80 is you get 3 HR zones not 2 so you can fine tune your workout a little more.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thanks much for all the input!!!

So as I am a female, can I get a men's polar watch??
    yes you can, i believe the only differnce is the femaile watch's band is a bit slimmer. that's all.