what % of your bodyweight do you squat?

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm at 100% of my body weight but am hoping one day to get to 60kilos then I'd be able to use just 2 20k plates (plus Olympic bar).

I've been squatting a few months but weight training about a year....maybe longer. On and off for a few years.

Started with the no bar squats which was hard! Then added the bar, then up to where I'm at now.

I have a small umbilical hernia which didn't get fixed during surgery so I have to be super super careful, but it's not holding me back.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    1.25%
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    Um, I would like to point out that *technically* we are all squatting *100%* of our bodyweight before we even add that empty bar.

Just in case this helps any other newbs feel a little better, too.

:)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Um, I would like to point out that *technically* we are all squatting *100%* of our bodyweight before we even add that empty bar.

Just in case this helps any other newbs feel a little better, too.

Good point. I am squatting 225% of my weight then. :P
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Started: 40% of body weight
    Now: 105% of body weight
    Goal: 150% of body weight

I began with starting strength last spring with just the bar. I worked up to where I am now last fall but I took a three month break and had to deload considerably when I started again in January.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Working weight is 150% .
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am squatting 113% currently. (180lbs)

Started at 36% (60lbs)

Yes I've had setbacks

Injured my groin muscle when I slipped getting into squat position...stupid socks..lift barefoot now

Currently squatting 140 (on Friday) due to aggravating that injury...:grumble: and have deloaded in the last 3months to work on form.

ETA: I am doing SL 5x5 and started Sept 2013...have only taken 10 days off while on vacation.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for 4 months with a couple weeks off in there. I started at 31% of my body weight. I currently squat 79% of my body weight. I had gotten to 93% of my body weight, but had to deload due to knee issues.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Starting Strength - started with the bar, added 10 lbs every workout until the squats started getting difficult, then switched to 5 lbs every workout.

I'm at 75% of bodyweight at the moment - I was up to 96%, but the machine exercise at SloFit finally caught up to me (was using up my remaining paid-for sessions). Pulled my lower back, and pulled something in my inner thigh right up near the groin. I've been just squatting the bar for weeks waiting until I didn't feel any pain and just started back with the heavier weights last week. Figured I'd better work back into it rather than jump back in where I left off.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    working weights or 1 RPM??
    Jo is so badass that she does a full 360 during each rep... She never ceases to amaze me.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Started back squatting after my youngest was born, took 5 long months to heal my pelvis enough to even be able to handle the empty bar. In the last two years, have worked up to a max weight for reps just shy of 2x body weight, although most of my working sets are at around 1.1-1.6 of body weight
  • HealthfulLife
    HealthfulLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Squatting180# for 3 x 5...comes out to be about 142% of my body weight..
    I normally weigh it around 127#
    Hoping to hit the 200# mark in the next 2 months!

I have lifted for awhile but really started lifting heavy in the fall and I love it!...Had a setback in January with a fractured tailbone but was able to come back much faster than expected!

Love to hear about women lifting heavy!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Just shy of 2x BW on 1rm.

Hit 325 at 170.... I'm hoping to have 2x BW in a few weeks...
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Great question. I think I responded to your previous post as well, but answers to this question may be more informative.

Btw, I think very few people start out squatting 100% of their bodyweight, unless they were athletes previously. Putting the equivalent of your weight on your shoulders is no small feat.

To answer your questions: I also started squatting at about 50% of my bodyweight. I currently squat 125% of my bodyweight (barbell, for reps, and below parallel). I've been squatting for about 1-1/2 years. I stopped for 3 months in the beginning due to an injury and extensive traveling.

Love seeing all these women who seriously squat!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just hit 150% for a 1RM this week. It's likely higher, but I don't always have a spotter available to test it.
    My normal work weight is at 133% of bodyweight .

I started strength training about 18 months ago, but really seriously focused on getting my big lifts up in numbers for about 14 months.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts mid-January at 65% of my bodyweight. I'm up to 100% bodyweight now.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    175% of BW for a double.
    Have not tried 1RM.
    Been squatting 6 months.
    Recently switched from high to low bar and still getting comfortable.
    Hope to hit 200% BW by end of the year but currently fighting a quad strain.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Started barely able to air squat. Working weight currently 120% of bodyweight (but really quiet light as it's in a volume phase) and 1RM around 150% of bodyweight.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    working weight is 100% of my current body weight

goal is 150% or more.

no idea what my 1 RM is.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I only squat 19% of my weight because the class I go to has you do a ton of reps. Most people in that class go 10 pounds or lower (I'm at 12.5). I can leg press 110% of my weight though which is about 250 pounds.