How to restart metabolism?

Options
Successfully I have shed off 30 pounds in the past 6-7 months. I'm currently 5ft 6 in 122 pounds and planning to start Insanity. For some reason even after all of this weightloss my belly is still there. Before Insanity I wanna kick start my metabolism because I felt like it has slow down. Should I boost my calories for a week? I' planning to eat 1400 calories on Insanity right now I'm eating 1300. Im a healthy weight but I know I'm gonna lose with Insanity I want to really tone my body :/ and I know some people who have gained muscle weight on Insanity :-) I wanna make me metabolic rate faster again! And oh yea what are your thoughts on Insanity, I mean Jillian Michael workouts are getting to easy for me so I needed something more challenging.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Metabolism doesn't need "restarting". It runs until your dead. It can be lower due to lower intensity levels of physical activity. So to higher it, you increase your activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lizplus3
    Lizplus3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Insanity but have you tried doing Yoga? It will help you to get toned :) Good luck!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Car battery, jumper cables, wet nipples?
  • GlitterAway101
    Options
    should I increase my calorie intake as well?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Reincarnation
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Probably the thing that would work best is lifting heavy -- that will boost metabolism and aid in body recom (as you're already at a good weight). Since you don't want to lose more weight, you may want to eat at maintenance or slightly above.

Check out this story on an awesome body recomp and why lifting heavy is so important: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism uses less energy as you continue to restrict. Upping calories back to maintenance is the only way to restore your potential to burn the maximum amout of calories.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism uses less energy as you continue to restrict. Upping calories back to maintenance is the only way to restore your potential to burn the maximum amount of calories.

Or ya know that whole thing where her overall energy expenditure is lower because she is no longer moving around 30 extra pounds every second she is awake..or that thing where her body needs less calories than it did when she was 30 lbs heavier...

Or ya know maybe her belly is still there because she still has a high body fat percentage and not because her metabolism really slowed down.

I guess we all have opinions.
  • GlitterAway101
    Options
    OMG so how do I recalculate everything??? SO MUCH MATH INVOLVED IN WEIGHTLOSS
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    OMG so how do I recalculate everything??? SO MUCH MATH INVOLVED IN WEIGHTLOSS

Yes you will need to do some math to set things up correctly. Calm down. You can do it. :drinker:

I recommend you read this when you have the time: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I hope this helps.