Limiting Dessert to 2 days a week

Options

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    As a reward for staying within my calories for the day,I have a small piece of dark chocolate as the last thing I eat every night, usually 38-50 calories. Some days, I allow myself 1/2 of a Quest protein bar. I love the white chocolate raspberry. 1/2 of one is about 95 calories. Otherwise, I stay away from any desserts. Thanksgiving was the exception the last two years. I made mini cheesecake bites and allowed myself one.
  • jenniwain
    jenniwain Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, it´s almost impossible to stop eating sweet things. I have been trying to reduce my sugar intake and I have found the following useful:

Don´t buy things containing sugar - if its not there you can´t eat it!. Also, I don´t buy things containing artificial sweeteners - it´s better to try and change your taste for sugar.
    Fatty things are good for reducing cravings so try a small serving of creamy natural unsweetened greek yoghurt
    I also like natural peanut butter ( the kind made with ONLY peanuts)
    When you want something sweet , drink a glass of cold water with a little lime or lemon squeezed in it.

Hope this is helpful.
    PS I had a chocolate muffin this afternoon....... so I just accept that I can´t succeed every day.....
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every night and after lunch most days...pudding cups and cool whip...90 calorie special k bars...strawberries and cool whip....frozen yogurt...skinny cow ice cream bars...my list is endless as you can see, lol. Don't restrict yourself there is too many lower calorie options out there that will satisfy a sweet tooth:wink:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert every night. Life is not worth living if I kick habits I don't want to kick.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have to have something sweet after I eat dinner! I don't do this, but a friend of mine does and it makes a lot of sense...she puts the calories in in the morning so she has already accounted for them for the day so she doesn't end up going over.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you have to have a dessert, try something healthy. When I have a sugar rush I drink hot tea. Also, I love frozen grapes. They are delicious. If that doesnt do it, try some healthy snack receipes. I have one for peanut butter cookies. Use 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 brown egg, and 1 cup of sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes.
  • mwynn210
    mwynn210 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've tried to go cold turkey off of sweets, but went a little goofy with cravings, so I've tried to find ways to work in reasonable desserts. Some of my favorites are: Diana's Dark Chocolate Frozen Banana Babies - 130 calories, Vitalicious Brownies & Deep Chocolate Vitamuffin Tops - 100 calories, and - this is a splurge - Stonyfield Chocolate Underground Yogurt - 170 calories.

They're all super yummy and satisfying, and I don't overindulge. I can't have Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches in the house - I can easily eat 2 or 3... or even the whole box! ;)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    that doesn't sound like fun.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Serving of ice cream every night, lost weight, so I'm not your guy.

Don't restrict/limit yourself - work it in.

Took a look at your diary. So a whole .5 cups of ice cream isn't limiting yourself? LOL Again, my main problem with the "I eat ice cream every day!" crew. The portion tends to get glossed over. I'm not opening a pint of Ben and Jerry's unless I'm eating at least half of it.

I'm your guy then.
  • mamabanana
    mamabanana Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I LOVE desserts, but I have control issues around them so I really limit myself to once or twice a week. Just make room in your daily calorie intake and exercise plan. and find other options if you must have every day. Good Luck!
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My weekness is a good cookie, piece of cake, piece of pie and I'm gone! I'm not talking that boxed stuff, fresh from the bakery or homemade! LOL....I truly try to have restraint...but when I see red velvet or tiramisu or snickerdoodles, sugar cookies, I'm done!!! I try not to buy any of that stuff for the house and when I do eat it it's when I'm out or there is a luncheon at work or something. I also try to find things that are low in fat, sugar, calories in regards to ice cream, frozen yogurt, Weight Watchers has some great dessert options, Skinny Cow....otherwise, I don't deny myself, I just make sure that it fits into my daily totals. Life is too short...I'm all for our journey's of weight loss and excercise, etc. but there is only so much I'm going to not have!!! Just my take on it!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I deprive myself either and I've had sweets most days, wine many days etc. I have found that sometimes I can just feel satisfied with sipping a cup of hot chocolate for a half hour in the evening. It lasts a while and is only 120 calories. But I also find I'm way less likely to go over the single serving (okay, well maybe 1 full cup of ice cream haha) if I've eaten enough during the day.

Weight loss has to be sustainable. Why not aim for an easy 1/2 lb per week weight loss and then eat more of the foods you like. Or, a pound a week. When you get in to the steeper deficits, it's harder to work in daily indulgences without sacrificing nutrition.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with dessert every night? I mean as long as you account for it why not?
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    One serving of Jello = 10 cal
    18 oz of Whipped Cream = 70 cal

Total = 80 cal

(i.e. I have desert almost every night)
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    I like to eat my sweets when I'm hungry (instead of after a meal) because the taste buds tend to dull as one gains satiety. So after a meal, I don't taste my desserts with the same intensity. I usually have a sweet for one of my snacks so I can really taste it! I make room in my daily calories when I want dessert. My family has dessert on Friday and Sunday nights. I will often have a protein bar when they eat their ice cream. When I crave ice cream, I have it. 85g is a serving of what's in the freezer, so I start with that.

My sweets of choice these days are Quest protein bars (love the chewy texture and chocolate flavor!) and Ghiradelli 86% dark chocolate squares or Theo Chocolate 85% dark chocolate. It's important to me to reduce refined carbs, so my sweets need to not bump my blood sugar. The more refined carbs I eat, the more I seem to struggle with wanting more, so I've found my "sweet" spot with these products. I rarely have a need (or craving) for cakes, pies, and candy like I used to, but I'm still feeding my chocolate lust with minimal blood sugar impact! I eat a little piece of chocolate every day.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Took a look at your diary. So a whole .5 cups of ice cream isn't limiting yourself? LOL Again, my main problem with the "I eat ice cream every day!" crew. The portion tends to get glossed over. I'm not opening a pint of Ben and Jerry's unless I'm eating at least half of it.

you should take a super good look at my diary then. though I don't eat a ton of ice cream... you should see all the other yum yums I eat.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

I'm your guy then.

LOL well when you have 3000 calories to play with...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I would also just say, Ben & Jerry's is awesome. But it's certainly among the most calorie-dense foods on the planet. Same with Haagen Dazs (or however you spell that). There are some awesome ice cream products that are not 1800 calories/pint. The ones I eat tend to be 120-140 calories for a half cup. So a cup a night on a workout day isn't a big deal.
  • LisaC101
    LisaC101 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too have a terrible night time sweet tooth. I am currently trying to limit myself to two or three nights a week. On those nights I will usually have a low cal ice cream bar such as a skinny cow or some frozen yogurt( limited amount). You can also find 100 cal cookies and brownies, the brand I prefer is thinsations, but do like everyone else says and work it into your allotted calories.
    On nights that I want somehting sweet but can't afford them calorie wise or then I find having some herbal tea or going for a walk takes my mind off the sugar craving and then after that it's almost bed time!
    Goodluck, I Hope this helps :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I'm your guy then.

LOL well when you have 3000 calories to play with...

Even so, one could opt for a lower fat option and eat a whole pint. Ben & Jerry's makes froyo, and there are also slow churned options..