Vegetarian, non dairy food ideas?

Options
I have been vegetarian for about 4 months now but do eat fish. Due to abnormal bloating I am having to cut out all dairy/wheat/gluten products to see if it is some sort of allergy to these products. At the moment I am eating mainly quern with my lunch meal and fish with my dinner meal. However, if i become dairy free I won't be able to eat quorn... any alternative ideas?
thanks

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Pesto is really great (leave out the parm) on tilapia, shrimp, salmon, you name it! If you can't have gluten, try using egg or rice noodles with shrimp and pesto.

I love polenta with grilled vegetables and tomato sauce.

Tofu with stir-fried veggies is yummy, or with shrimp.

I like to make thai peanut sauce with coconut milk and pour it over a sweet potato with broccoli and scallions.

Guacamole quinoa (literally quinoa tossed with guacamole.)

Baked eggs in an avocado, plain or with salsa.
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Seafood and fish is still meat.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry and please don't take this the wrong way, but if you eat fish you aren't a vegetarian. I think it's pescatarian? Something, again sorry for pointing that out, it's just one of my biggest pet peeves.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Does tempeh meet your guidelines? I love tempeh. I make vegetarian BLTs out of it... mmmm delish. I also use it in vegetarian stir fries and omelets. Works for tacos, stews... different texture than tofu. Doesn't "soak" up the sauce as much. Much more nutty in flavor and chewy in texture.

Edit to add: first I make vegie bacon out of the tempeh, then THAT goes on the BLT. Sorry to not be clear.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for about 4 months now but do eat fish. Due to abnormal bloating I am having to cut out all dairy/wheat/gluten products to see if it is some sort of allergy to these products. At the moment I am eating mainly quern with my lunch meal and fish with my dinner meal. However, if i become dairy free I won't be able to eat quorn... any alternative ideas?
    thanks

Please, if you eat fish, then you are not a vegetarian.......
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Does tempeh meet your guidelines? I love tempeh. I make vegetarian BLTs out of it... mmmm delish. I also use it in vegetarian stir fries and omelets. Works for tacos, stews... different texture than tofu. Doesn't "soak" up the sauce as much. Much more nutty in flavor and chewy in texture.

Tempeh is awesome. Love love love it. and making TLT's.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Seafood and fish is still meat.

I agree. It irks me when people say they are vegetarian but they eat.........blah blah blah.

I'm sitting here trying to think of dairy and gluten free things that I eat. The sweet potato with the thai sauce sounds sooo good.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    thanks

Please, if you eat fish, then you are not a vegetarian.......

Glad I wasn't the only one that said it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options

Guacamole quinoa (literally quinoa tossed with guacamole.)

omg why have I not done that before
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Ethnic dishes are easiest for me. Pasta (quinoa is gluten free and I can barely tell the difference), bean burritos/veggie fajitas, veggie stir fries, since you eat fish - sushi, falafels, potatoes, rice and beans, salsa, guacamole. And then there't nut butter. If you're not a fan of tofu, try fried extra firm. That's how I started and now I can't get enough. Love it my stirfrys and breakfast burritos. I can't remember if Morningstar crumbles have dairy in them or not, but I sometimes use them in chilli. Sometimes I don't. I have a ton of beans in my chilli so I don't need the extra protein. I had to go dairy free and eat primarily vegetarian, with the occasional fish or eggs. If you need ideas, feel free to friend me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Check the Groups for vegetarian, (just don't post about fish, or even eggs as some are very militant), gluten free (which I belong to) or dairy free specific 'communities.' Under tab Community, click Groups and scroll or search. Good luck.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Check out a company called Gardein or even Morningstar (note...not sure if they have dairy in their products. It's possible...)
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can use soya milk and cornflour with the addition of a veggie stock cube and mustard to make a pretty good alternative to cheese sauce, this is great for making cauliflower cheese or cheesy gluten free pasta.

Polenta can be cooked up, cooled and chopped into rectangles and tossed with a tomato based sauce - tastes like gnocchi.

I am gluten free and aiming to be dairy free too - feel free to add me as a friend. Happy to share ideas and recipes.

Good luck.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi

For protein lunches you could have:
    home made humous with crudites
    quinoa salad with spiced mixed beans
    oatcakes or rice cakes with nut butter and salad
    falafel with salad
    spinach and mushroom curry with brown rice
    lentil flour wraps or pancakes with spiced veg

My favourite veggie main is an aubergine, split down the middle lengthways and scored, with a paste of cumin, garlic, chilli, lemon and oil rubbed into it. Bake for 30 mins.