Antidepressants and weight loss

Options
Hello,

So I have a history of depression/anxiety :ohwell: I have been doing ok for the most part. Lately, I feel I have been “going there” again. It helps when I am on something, but that awful weight gain is why I end up going off it. I started MFP and have been doing pretty decent. I'm 5'7" - I started at 181 and am down to 174 in 30 days. Not major, but I’m getting there. Goal is 130/35 area. Anyway, I feel at this time in my life an antidepressant would help me. I am just worried it will affect my weight loss. Anyone here on an antidepressant, but doing ok with their weight loss journey? Maybe I should try an alternative, like an herbal supplement. Just not sure. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Many times when people are taking medication for depression, they begin to feel better and they no longer have a loss of appetite. (= eating more than before) It is not impossible to lose weight while taking medication, but it can be more difficult. If medication is a form of treatment that works for you, schedule an appointment and get your prescription. (not an herbal supplement) In addition, some medications should not be stopped abruptly and should be monitored by a medical professional. Log accurately, be patient and you can see that progress is possible.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i have been on lexapro for depression/anxiety for the past 3 years and i don't think it affected my weight gain/loss at all. i have successfully both lost and gained weight while on it so, for me at least, at the end of the day it really just comes down to nutrition and exercise.
  • Sarasjourney
    Options
    I'm on both bipolar medication and an antidepressant. I have been for years. Once you know how your body reacts to the medication, whether you're more hungry or not, whether you retain more fluid, etc then you can get on track with weight loss. In 2012 I was able to lose 60lbs while on my medication. It took a lot of discipline but it was possible. This time I've been able to lose just over 30 this time and all I've been doing is watching what I eat and how much of it I eat.

Please don't make yourself miserable because of a few pounds. You can always lose the weight.
  • nikkishupp
    Options
    Talk with your doctor, tell them everything you stated here. It's very hard to go on and off of antidepressants, roller coaster of sort with emotions and securities. Excersice can help so keep that up!!! But there is no sense suffering! Take care!
    Nikki
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I gained 40 lbs when I started taking lexapro (30 mg for 6 months, then 20mg) and buspirone in 2012. I don't blame the medicine, but rather feeling better and more social just led to more food-centric activities. I'm off buspirone and down to taking 5 mg now which has definitely brought me down to earth a little bit. My symptoms are a little more present but I also feel like I'm less manic and more able to have self discipline than before.

Good luck!!
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't speak from personal experience, but I worked in the mental healthcare field for two years and spoke to many young women taking antidepressants.

Sometimes, gaining weight was the reason they had stopped taking their medication, but as their symptoms worsened, two things soon became evident. First, not taking antidepressants when you need them makes you feel worse about yourself and your life than gaining weight, and second, it is usually only that one particular medication. They usually realize #1, see the psychiatrist and explain their issue, and then discover #2. If you have been on antidepressants previously, you will probably know whether a particular medication made you gain weight.

If you are even thinking that you might need them again, I encourage you to at least go in for a consultation with a doctor who can help you figure out the path that is right for you, and also to tell the doctor about your weight concerns. Your doctor can avoid putting you on a medication that caused you weight gain, or put you specifically on a medication that doesn't have a strong history of causing weight gain -- after all, your doctor wants you to be well and take your medication, so they're willing to work with you to not give you something you won't take!

As a general note though, depression causes different things for different people. It's true some people stop eating and lose weight, but other people lie in bed (no exercise) and eat their feelings. You'll know what the situation is for you, and I hope you won't consider depression as a weight-loss tool, or alternatively recognize that depression has never helped you stay healthy. It's hard to exercise and stick to your goals when you are depressed!

Best of luck, and wishing you well.
  • cynthb65
    cynthb65 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been on several different antidepressants and related medication, and am still on two. If you read the medical documentation, most will say they have a possibility of weight gain as a side effect; in some cases it's "significant weight gain". In my case, I went from 140 to 200, to 160 with rigid dieting and exercise, and I'm back at 210 when the dieting stopped working and I couldn't stay at ~1200 calories with exercise on top of that (I'm 5'9"). I still exercise several times a week and I'm at 1500 - 1700 calories / day, just to let you know the effect it has on my metabolism. Everyone's different, though, and what happened to me may not happen to you.

That being said, feeling good about yourself is important, so don't skip medication if you (or your doctor) feels you need it. I would not be able to hold down a job without my medication. Best of luck :)
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have clinically diagnosed depression. I take Zoloft and have done so the last 6 years. I have lost over 50 lbs and have gained quite a bit of muscle. Like everyone said you can lose weight or do anything with consistency. If taking meds makes you feel better do it. I don't know what I would do without mine.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Having dealt with anxiety and crippling panic disorders almost my entire life, I would much rather go on medication than deal with the effects of my anxiety. Me personally, I haven't had any luck with herbal remedies for panic attacks or my anxiety.

I'm currently on Prozac (I've been on it for almost two years now), when I was prescribed it, my doctor said it could suppress my appetite, but that isn't always the case. My weight loss has been pretty steady, so I think it depends from person to person.

Now, exercising does wonders with anxiety, but when you're in the middle of a panic attack, that's the last thing on your mind!
    I think talking to your doctor and looking at your different options is key at this point. Your mental wellbeing is an important part in your weight loss journey!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm on depression and anxiety meds and have been losing weight.
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have only been on my anxeity med for about 2 months but I think it has helped me lose weight and stay focused. When I started feeling better I wanted to work out more and eat better. I think the good effects will out way the bad.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    You may want to ask your doctor about Wellbutrin XL. It has the possibility of more energy and weight loss in some folks.
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started working out and eating better in January. I started Lexapro at the end of February. I haven't gained any weight nor have I felt like it's slowed down my loss. I feel a million times better and while my attitude and emotions are great, my drive for weight loss and getting healthy hasn't changed, therefore my eating and exercise hasn't changed. I think it all has to do with your mind frame and your commitment to making a change.

Good luck to you on your choice! I feel like I made the right one for me.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I know people who are on SSRIs and because they're no longer self-medicating with junk food, are losing weight.
    I know other people who are on SSRIs and because they're more social, have gained because they're going out.
    Then there are the people whose moods have improved because they've started exercising. Exercise doesn't "cure" depression, but in some instances, being outside or being social, or just getting the hormones and endorphins kicking helps with mood.

I'm not a doctor, but think it as far as medications go, it depends on how your body reacts to the specific medication, any other medications you might be on that might affect how your body metabolizes the antidepressants, and what's going on specifically in your noggin, based on the causes of the depression.
  • Mar22ie
    Mar22ie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started working out and eating better in January. I started Lexapro at the end of February. I haven't gained any weight nor have I felt like it's slowed down my loss. I feel a million times better and while my attitude and emotions are great, my drive for weight loss and getting healthy hasn't changed, therefore my eating and exercise hasn't changed. I think it all has to do with your mind frame and your commitment to making a change.

Good luck to you on your choice! I feel like I made the right one for me.

Thank you - I tried Lexapro and it gave me heart palpitations and a bad cough. I gained a little bit of weight, but I wasn't trying to lose weight at the time. So maybe I would have been able to lose weight on it. I am happy to her you feel better. I know how it is to feel blah. Glad it worked for you!
  • Mar22ie
    Options
    Many times when people are taking medication for depression, they begin to feel better and they no longer have a loss of appetite. (= eating more than before) It is not impossible to lose weight while taking medication, but it can be more difficult. If medication is a form of treatment that works for you, schedule an appointment and get your prescription. (not an herbal supplement) In addition, some medications should not be stopped abruptly and should be monitored by a medical professional. Log accurately, be patient and you can see that progress is possible.

Thank you - I once stopped abruptly. Never again. I thought for sure I was going to die. The worst stomach pain I ever had and dizzy spells to boot. Thanks for you post.
  • Mar22ie
    Options
    i have been on lexapro for depression/anxiety for the past 3 years and i don't think it affected my weight gain/loss at all. i have successfully both lost and gained weight while on it so, for me at least, at the end of the day it really just comes down to nutrition and exercise.

Glad to hear it's working for you. I love stories like this!! Thanks for your post!
  • Mar22ie
    Options
    I'm on both bipolar medication and an antidepressant. I have been for years. Once you know how your body reacts to the medication, whether you're more hungry or not, whether you retain more fluid, etc then you can get on track with weight loss. In 2012 I was able to lose 60lbs while on my medication. It took a lot of discipline but it was possible. This time I've been able to lose just over 30 this time and all I've been doing is watching what I eat and how much of it I eat.

Please don't make yourself miserable because of a few pounds. You can always lose the weight.
    --- Thanks for your post!! Good job!!
  • Mar22ie
    Options
    Talk with your doctor, tell them everything you stated here. It's very hard to go on and off of antidepressants, roller coaster of sort with emotions and securities. Excersice can help so keep that up!!! But there is no sense suffering! Take care!
    Nikki

Thank you Nikki!
  • Mar22ie
    Options
    I can't speak from personal experience, but I worked in the mental healthcare field for two years and spoke to many young women taking antidepressants.

Sometimes, gaining weight was the reason they had stopped taking their medication, but as their symptoms worsened, two things soon became evident. First, not taking antidepressants when you need them makes you feel worse about yourself and your life than gaining weight, and second, it is usually only that one particular medication. They usually realize #1, see the psychiatrist and explain their issue, and then discover #2. If you have been on antidepressants previously, you will probably know whether a particular medication made you gain weight.

If you are even thinking that you might need them again, I encourage you to at least go in for a consultation with a doctor who can help you figure out the path that is right for you, and also to tell the doctor about your weight concerns. Your doctor can avoid putting you on a medication that caused you weight gain, or put you specifically on a medication that doesn't have a strong history of causing weight gain -- after all, your doctor wants you to be well and take your medication, so they're willing to work with you to not give you something you won't take!

As a general note though, depression causes different things for different people. It's true some people stop eating and lose weight, but other people lie in bed (no exercise) and eat their feelings. You'll know what the situation is for you, and I hope you won't consider depression as a weight-loss tool, or alternatively recognize that depression has never helped you stay healthy. It's hard to exercise and stick to your goals when you are depressed!

Best of luck, and wishing you well.

Thank you for the perspective. My mental health is the most important thing, adn I need to get a handle on it. Just isn't healthy, and that's why I am here. To get healthy. Thank you again.